HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

New HDB BTO Flat - How do you connect your Home Fiber Network

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #1321

PoE cannot be daissy chain!! If you put Poe into an unsupported router, you will break it.
daisy chain, that's the term!

where should i set up/start the PoE injector ? router is at riser (& also a switch if need be).
bovi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #1322

where should i set up/start the PoE injector ? router is at riser (& also a switch if need be).
Only can poe power the poe device! nothing else less you destroy your device. If you got more then 1 poe device get a poe switch.Ubiquiti makes a 8 port poe switch capable of powering all 8 poe devices from its ports
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:22 PM   #1323

Only can poe power the poe device! nothing else less you destroy your device. If you got more then 1 poe device get a poe switch.Ubiquiti makes a 8 port poe switch capable of powering all 8 poe devices from its ports
thanks for saving me.

with this ubiquiti 8 port poe switch, must it only be used for poe devices? sorry, just really noob.

Because I'll only require 1 poe to the AP. But i need a switch since need to connect to 5 Lan points around the house via the riser box (e.g. to my desktop).

I was thinking the PoE switch can use for POE and non-POE. i.e. it will auto detect if end device needs PoE or not, if it's a desktop nic then it will not supply power just data. re: US-8-60W Ubiquiti

Last edited by bovi77; 11-10-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #1324

thanks for saving me.

with this ubiquiti 8 port poe switch, must it only be used for poe devices? sorry, just really noob.

Because I'll only require 1 poe to the AP. But i need a switch since need to connect to 5 Lan points around the house via the riser box (e.g. to my desktop).

I was thinking the PoE switch can use for POE and non-POE. i.e. it will auto detect if end device needs PoE or not, if it's a desktop nic then it will not supply power just data. re: US-8-60W Ubiquiti

U should ask on reddit.com/r/ubiquiti
squarepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #1325

thanks for saving me.

PoE switches can indeed be used for both PoE & non-PoE devices. However, not all switches can detect if the downstream devices connected to its port, are PoE devices or not. If the switch supplies PoE “power” to a non-PoE device, it may burn the downstream device’s port.

With regards to the UNBT switch, I take it you are familiar with its power draw & fan noise under load?
bovi77 likes this.
feetlebrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:13 AM   #1326

The PoE injector can be “introduced” at any point between the “source of Internet” & the PoE downstream device.
bovi77 likes this.

Last edited by feetlebrash; 12-10-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #1327

PoE switches can indeed be used for both PoE & non-PoE devices. However, not all switches can detect if the downstream devices connected to its port, are PoE devices or not. If the switch supplies PoE “power” to a non-PoE device, it may burn the downstream device’s port.

With regards to the UNBT switch, I take it you are familiar with its power draw & fan noise under load?
Thanks, no idea about it's power draw & fan noise. What switch would you recommend?

Is there a poe switch that is dependable in detecting poe vs non-poe device? or is there a switch that has at least 2 separate poe ports and at least 4 normal lan ports.

I'm not tied to the idea of using unifi brand. was just thinking since I was looking into using a unifi AP, I should choose unifi for the poe switch. can i mix unifi ap with netgear switch? (GS308P 4+4poe).

The PoE injector can be “introduced” at any point between the PoE “supplier” & the PoE downstream device.
I thought the poe injector is the poe supplier? e.g you have absolutely no poe power from router, you input lan cable from router to poe injector (powered by wall point) then the poe out lan cable to the poe-power receiving equipment.

Last edited by bovi77; 12-10-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #1328

...Is there a poe switch that is dependable in detecting poe vs non-poe device? or is there a switch that has at least 2 separate poe ports and at least 4 normal lan ports....
I think most PoE switch can be configured to deliver PoE (or not) across all of their ports. Just dunno if they can do it automatically.

I thought the poe injector is the poe supplier? e.g you have absolutely no poe power from router, you input lan cable from router to poe injector (powered by wall point) then the poe out lan cable to the poe-power receiving equipment.
You are right; I’ve updated my previous response to make it clearer. If you have to use an injector it means you have no upstream device capable of supplying the right PoE voltage to the downstream device. So in this case the injector is the “supplier”.

So the setup can be:
Router/switch > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > injector (with power supplied from mains)> > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > downstream device.

I'm not tied to the idea of using unifi brand. was just thinking since I was looking into the unifi AP, I should choose unifi for the poe switch. any alternate brand suggestions is appreciated...
Be careful when you buy PoE device because they are various PoE standards & using the wrong combination may burn the downstream device as well. Even for Unifi UAP-AC-Lite, the earlier batches can only take 24V in; but the newer batches can take 48V in.
bovi77 likes this.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:25 PM   #1329
High Supremacy Member

The 60w ubnt switch don't come with active cooling fan. The one that had 8 POE ports heard can be a bit noisy.
bovi77 likes this.
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #1330

So the setup can be:
Router/switch > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > injector (with power supplied from mains)> > cable > any no. of wall LAN ports > cable > downstream device.

Be careful when you buy PoE device because they are various PoE standards & using the wrong combination may burn the downstream device as well. Even for Unifi UAP-AC-Lite, the earlier batches can only take 24V in; but the newer batches can take 48V in.
by 48v is that 802.3af? meaning would minimum require the US-8-60W. I updated my previous post to mention a netgear poe switch i found on lazada GS308P (4+4poe).

any APs with DFS function beside unifi APs?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #1331

The 60w ubnt switch don't come with active cooling fan. The one that had 8 POE ports heard can be a bit noisy.
any alternate recommendations?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #1332

any alternate recommendations?
If you have only one access point just put your injector in the network box and you will can power the Access point via the network termination panel
bovi77 likes this.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #1333

If you have only one access point just put your injector in the network box and you will can power the Access point via the network termination panel
i need a switch anyways since have 6 lan points. tentatively hope to get away with 1 AP only. need to cater if need a 2nd at mbr.

I'll consider whichever AP has DFS, then evaluate price-features & design and then pick a poe switch from the same brand.

Is DFS known by any other name? Tp-link has AP and poe switch available locally, looking at the AP specs and DFS is not stated.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #1334

i need a switch anyways since have 6 lan points. tentatively hope to get away with 1 AP only. need to cater if need a 2nd at mbr.

I'll consider whichever AP has DFS, then evaluate price-features & design and then pick a poe switch from the same brand.

Is DFS known by any other name? Tp-link has AP and poe switch available locally, looking at the AP specs and DFS is not stated.
Tplink eap245 no dfs, using netgear r7800 4 dfs
bovi77 likes this.
moron+genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 12:57 PM   #1335

For new Btos, those that recently collected keys, able to advise what is the process to have a good fibre setup at home?

My plan is for the wireless router to be centrally located in the living room. And all devices just connect to it by WiFi. I understand still need to have the ISP modem plus opennet (is this the one inside the utility cabinet)?
Rooney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.