is it possible to DIY relocate the fibre TP point?

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
hi guys i'm considering shifting my TP point somewhere else in the house because its current location was badly chosen. If i get opennet, it would cost me $480.

does anyone know how the TP point wiring goes? is it easy/possible for me to just remove the current TP point and shift it somewhere else?

i don't need extra fibre cable. because i just want to shift the TP point to somewhere on the existing fibre cable run.

see simple diagram below:

-------------------------------X--------------------------------------Current TP

my current TP is at "current TP." i want to shift the TP to point X. it is along the existing cable run so i don't have to re lay any cables at all. all i need is to shift the TP box to "point X."

anyone has experience on whether it is possible?

Thanks much :)

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
possible though...

mayb u hav to roll up the extras somewhere.

oh i was thinking i could just cut it. to my inexperienced mind, working with fibre cables is similar to working with any other cables: cut off the excess, strip the wire, terminate by soldering or screwing.

am i mistaken?

wj.lee

Reaction score
I don't think you can diy without sufficient knowledge and experience. This is fibre not your copper wire so cannot do soldering or screwing... Summore you need to test the wire like how they did when installing the TP...

stephen8

Reaction score
Its possible to shorten the location, just roll up the excess, don try to cut, unless u have special machine to reconnect. Data is travel thro light emition

clintonccy

Reaction score
Possible if you don't cut it. Just try to keep the excess cabling somewhere along the trunking. To extend of reconnect after you cut it requires a splicing machine, which would require OpenNet to do. Just to warn, OpenNet specifies that you must get them or a OpenNet certified contractor to do the relocation, so if you get into any problems or need to lengthen the fibre next time, OpenNet may charge you extra on top of the $480.

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
Possible if you don't cut it. Just try to keep the excess cabling somewhere along the trunking. To extend of reconnect after you cut it requires a splicing machine, which would require OpenNet to do. Just to warn, OpenNet specifies that you must get them or a OpenNet certified contractor to do the relocation, so if you get into any problems or need to lengthen the fibre next time, OpenNet may charge you extra on top of the $480.

k thanks! problem is i cannot just shorten. the cable runs through a softboard pillar which only has a small hole for the wire to pass thru; i must destroy the pillar in order to move it :o

anyone knows where i can find a list of opennet contractors? maybe they'll be cheaper than opennet. even tho i told opennet i only need to shorten, they insist they must rip out ALL the existing cable and relay new ones which seems strange to me. so maybe if i get a contractor, he may be willing to do a simple shortening with the requisite equipment

liangtam

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OpenNet contractor likely means OpenNet call for their contractor directly instead.
Like how you cant go to a SingTel or Starhub's contractor direct because there isn't any in the first place.

clintonccy

Reaction score
k thanks! problem is i cannot just shorten. the cable runs through a softboard pillar which only has a small hole for the wire to pass thru; i must destroy the pillar in order to move it :o

anyone knows where i can find a list of opennet contractors? maybe they'll be cheaper than opennet. even tho i told opennet i only need to shorten, they insist they must rip out ALL the existing cable and relay new ones which seems strange to me. so maybe if i get a contractor, he may be willing to do a simple shortening with the requisite equipment

As of now, I have not heard of any contractors certified by OpenNet yet, but since OpenNet themselves get a contractor to install the Termination Points, you could try to find that contractor directly for a cheaper price. Not sure which contractor that is though. If you know anyone who is getting their Termination Points installed soon you could get them to ask the workers which contractor they are working for and a contact number to contact the contractor directly.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
you can cut it, just need some sandpapers and special sandpaper to sand it down to super smooth. after that you'll need that special equipment to test to make sure the light loss is within spec

but then, you need to access both ends of the cables to test it... dunno how you going to do that...

mervin_b

Reaction score
you can cut it, just need some sandpapers and special sandpaper to sand it down to super smooth. after that you'll need that special equipment to test to make sure the light loss is within spec

but then, you need to access both ends of the cables to test it... dunno how you going to do that...
You simply can't be serious! Yes, glass is made of silica (sand), but you are telling people to cut and sandpaper fibre optic cable? :eek:

I've seen the OpenNet guys splice the cables several times (installation was a nightmare because of pulling cable through very old, very tight underground pipes), and I'm always amazed by the splicing process. They use a super-sharp cutter, wipe off the fibre, place on a machine with video/microscope, and you see the machine bringing the to almost perfectly clean junctions together, then fuse them, and finally display the light loss level through the junction. Often the attenuation is 0.0dB, effectively no loss.

Then there's a fancy heat shrink process to protect the bare fibres.

I'll bet that on the video, sandpaper will look rougher than a cobblestoned road.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've seen an engineer using "sandpaper" to run old-school fibre at one of my customer place
1 cable took him about half hour

cant argue with him coz he's been in this line for years

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh i was thinking i could just cut it. to my inexperienced mind, working with fibre cables is similar to working with any other cables: cut off the excess, strip the wire, terminate by soldering or screwing.

am i mistaken?

I suggest you get those long wave fibre with SC connector. Connect it to exiting point and lay back using the current route to new location. In this case you can still use back the original point if you need to.

You cannot cut fibre cable and join it back withot equipment.

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
I suggest you get those long wave fibre with SC connector. Connect it to exiting point and lay back using the current route to new location. In this case you can still use back the original point if you need to.

You cannot cut fibre cable and join it back withot equipment.

wow hmm this sounds interesting. So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that i should buy something a fibre optic cable with SC connector and re-lay it inside the trunking back to the point where i want it to be. correct?

i found this on ebay. is this the "long wave fibre with sc connector" you are referring to? can i get something like this at SLT/SLS at similar prices?

one noob question (sorry!): this picture shows TWO connectors at each end. how come it's 2 connectors? because only 1 connector connects to the ONT right?

Last edited:

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wow hmm this sounds interesting. So if i understand you correctly, you're saying that i should buy something a fibre optic cable with SC connector and re-lay it inside the trunking back to the point where i want it to be. correct?

i found this on ebay. is this the "long wave fibre with sc connector" you are referring to? can i get something like this at SLT/SLS at similar prices?

one noob question (sorry!): this picture shows TWO connectors at each end. how come it's 2 connectors? because only 1 connector connects to the ONT right?

its a single mode fibre.. i dont tink is tat one.

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
its a single mode fibre.. i dont tink is tat one.

oh so it should be: (i) Single Mode Simplex SC-SC Fibre, or (ii) Single Mode Duplex SC-SC Fibre?

the link i showed was a Multi mode right? so we in sg don't use multi mode?

is this (click here) the correct one? although this is a duplex cable will it work?

so if this is correct, i should buy it and then:

i) connect to the TP point via SC connector

ii) run along existing trunking back to where i want the point to be and;

iii) connect the other end to the SC connector of the Huawei HD863 ONT

correct?

Last edited:

JustMyself

Reaction score
Dont think so, cos you need a machine to bond 2 fiber tgt and that machine itself cost 5k.

Btw, i just change the whole wire due to no light source in and out everything. Saw them using that machine to bond 2 fiber tgt. Ask about it, it cost 5,000$

chunlianghere

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh so it should be: (i) Single Mode Simplex SC-SC Fibre, or (ii) Single Mode Duplex SC-SC Fibre?

the link i showed was a Multi mode right? so we in sg don't use multi mode?

is this (click here) the correct one? although this is a duplex cable will it work?

so if this is correct, i should buy it and then:

i) connect to the TP point via SC connector

ii) run along existing trunking back to where i want the point to be and;

iii) connect the other end to the SC connector of the Huawei HD863 ONT

correct?

i remember there is 1 thread tat ask abt the type of fibre use.. here u go, http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=2941639&highlight=fibre+optic

annai

Reaction score

am i mistaken?

In optical, it's called splicing. Cut it without proper tools will result in optical light misalignment and render the entire optical fiber cable useless.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.