Singnet Fibre Optic Broadband Speed Discussion

seeyourhead_jiejie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using the digital voice using fibre optic, can feedback on the quality of the digital voice (home line)?

The quality of the digital voice on ADSL had lots of complain so I kept my analog line. So that is y i am asking. :s13:

Oh, another question. For those that sign up during previous road show or IT fair, they also provide free installation, modem and activation (I think) that add up to about $260?

I am on miovoice since the adsl days. (when they 1st launch the mio plan) will this yr change to fiber.

no complain abt the quality(for adsl and fiber, dun see any diff)
the 1st few mths on fiber, the miovoice will get "hanged" need to reboot the 2wire modem. but for the past 3 mths or so, its running 24/7 without any problem.

installation, modem, activation can be free anytime depending on which plan you sign and if they wan to waive it for you.

nuky8181

Reaction score
I am on miovoice since the adsl days. (when they 1st launch the mio plan) will this yr change to fiber.

no complain abt the quality(for adsl and fiber, dun see any diff)
the 1st few mths on fiber, the miovoice will get "hanged" need to reboot the 2wire modem. but for the past 3 mths or so, its running 24/7 without any problem.

installation, modem, activation can be free anytime depending on which plan you sign and if they wan to waive it for you.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Like that I not going to upgrade liao. Dun have the money to do it now. :s13:

shawnwang81

Reaction score
I torrented 5 songs/movies (i saw one going at 2.1mbps), loaded 6 huskystarcraft 1080p videos (all can stream and watch at the same time cause it's so fast), and played mw2 or sc2 + while my parents were watching HD movies through miotv and my brother was playing sc2(probably torrenting and streaming ****) on another comp.

Yeah all that **** at the same time. Current setup for computer usage is ont -> 2wire -> netgear router.

I used to be a 10mbps mio plan subscriber and the old white 2wire piece of crap sucked so bad. However the new black 2wire is awesome. handles so many connections/things going on at the same time.

I'm super particular when it comes to internet experience, which includes bandwidth(for streaming and torrenting) and ping(for gaming and it's excellent im the lowest in the bc2 servers). and that going fibre is the best thing ever. the feeling is like switching from 56k to broadband.

I hope this can clarify some doubts for people who are sitting on the fence about switching to fibre.

Nice assurance there :)

I got my open net installed today, read from the booklet says it takes at least 2 weeks before I can go to a ISP...

Now I roughly go through the forum for feedbacks. There is some questions in my head n hope some kind souls with your experience could answer.

1) Im using a 6mps mio home now n thinking to switch to a 100mbps or 200mps. Are they a big difference in speed??? Compared to my current 1 I think there is lol but which is more value for money?

2) the 2wire modem I'm using now is really problematic, I'm experiencing frequent dc... I'm so worried that switching to fibre don't really solve the issue ( if the problem lies with singtel ) . Do I need to replace the stock router they provide with a third party 1 to sustain a stable connection?

3) I'm surfing the net mostly on my iPhone... Anyone discover faster net browsing experience on iPhone using fibre?

Hollud

Reaction score
1) Im using a 6mps mio home now n thinking to switch to a 100mbps or 200mps. Are they a big difference in speed??? Compared to my current 1 I think there is lol but which is more value for money?

One of the main differences between the 100Mbps and 200Mbps plan (apart from the local speed difference) is the international speed (15Mbps vs. 25Mbps respectively). If international speeds are of concern to you, which in some cases they are, then that might be the deciding factor.

Currently, I'm on the 200Mbps plan. Quite satisfied, although my surfing experience is being limited to WiFi. When surfing connected directly to my router (ONT -> 5012NV -> DIR-825), the speed really is addictive. Now, connecting to slower connections can become quite annoying.

2) the 2wire modem I'm using now is really problematic, I'm experiencing frequent dc... I'm so worried that switching to fibre don't really solve the issue ( if the problem lies with singtel ) . Do I need to replace the stock router they provide with a third party 1 to sustain a stable connection?

The 5012NV that SingTel provides is probably a marked improvement over the old mio box (2701HGV-E). In fact, the older, grey box (2700) was probably better than the white mio box. The new 5012NV is probably one of the residential gateways (RG) offered by telcos right now. It may not be on par with the fastest router available on the market, but it does a decent job.

You can take a look at other threads on how they've managed to overcome using the RG through the use of VLAN tagging, but if you use mio voice of mio TV, you need to get the right router (or router software) to do the work for you. Otherwise, if you have an existing router, it can piggyback on top of your RG, provided the IPs for both don't clash. Set it on DMZ (not DMZ Plus - that's notorious for capping speed) and you're good to go!

3) I'm surfing the net mostly on my iPhone... Anyone discover faster net browsing experience on iPhone using fibre?

You will probably see a moderate boost in surfing experience, although mobile devices are mostly limited to how fast they can process data. Download speeds might increase, but the bottleneck might transfer from the network to the processor rendering the web page.

On my Windows Phone, receiving and replying to notifications via WiFi is definitely faster than on 3G as are loading YouTube videos. Web pages, despite having a slightly snappier response after hitting the 'Return' key for a web site, still seems to be hampered by the processor processing the complexity of the site. Simple ones like CNA or YouTube mobile loads pretty quick, but media-rich ones like links to photo-sharing sites (YFrog, TwitPic, etc.) can often show a marginal improvement in response.

miketkf

Reaction score
I am currently on Singnet's 6Mbps plan, I am going to subscribe to Singnet's Express 100 Fibre-optic broadband plan.
Do I need a Asus RT-N56U wireless Gigabit router to bridge with 2-wire 5012NV wireless modem? In my opinion, I think I need to buy because Asus RT-56U has more gigabit ports than 2-wire 5012NV modem. Do I need to buy Atake CAT 6 2m. flat cable to connect to my NAS and PC to improve the transfer speed between my NAS and PC as I know there is bottleneck transfer speed between HDDs & NAS?

the_damned

Reaction score
Anyone had their service or broadband LED turned red last night and early today on their 5012? Not sure server side or modem problem. It comes and goes.

the_damned

Reaction score
Anyone using the digital voice using fibre optic, can feedback on the quality of the digital voice (home line)?

The quality of the digital voice on ADSL had lots of complain so I kept my analog line. So that is y i am asking. :s13:

Oh, another question. For those that sign up during previous road show or IT fair, they also provide free installation, modem and activation (I think) that add up to about $260?

Digital voice quality is good but just take note when all services (internet, miotv, phone) are used at the same time, your internet takes the hardest hit. When on ADSL, I used to have frozen screens while watching football and distorted voices when using home phones. Also not to mention frequent DCs. On fiber all is good except internet stability.

Now, I'm at 200mb and have always noticed a drop in speed and bad pings while playing Starcraft2 online when someone else is watching MIOtv or using the phone at the same time. Complain until I sian already. Technician come and go also same thing..

Take a look at this with MIOtv and phone used at same time:

Last edited:

relaxman

Reaction score
Anyone had their service or broadband LED turned red last night and early today on their 5012? Not sure server side or modem problem. It comes and goes.

Until now the problem still not fixed. Singtel just called and says that its the fibre cable fault. They are still looking into it. No internet , no house phone and Mio since 0200hrs. now using iphone only

BaZhAnG

Reaction score
At least for me all my LEDs light up except for the service LED which is Red.
at least yours is cannot connect which is red, mine not even red which is cannot find signal on the ONT, but i called singnet about this morning and they are say under urgent maintainence on my tampines area... so i not sure how true is this.

Last edited:

poorguy

Reaction score
mine down from yesterday till now :(
can watch mio TV but no internet and phone, need to keep restart router to get connected.

MoneyHoney

Master Member
Reaction score
guys just a question...are we being capped for our download speed?

some people say the source origin is no good thats why cannot have higher download speed.

but if i were to download from megaupload/fileserve/filesonic individually, i realise that all the files (suppose 5 files from each server, total 15 files) eventually end up as about 1.5 to 1.9 MBps only.

anybody can clarify this situation?

Cypher02

Reaction score
guys just a question...are we being capped for our download speed?

some people say the source origin is no good thats why cannot have higher download speed.

but if i were to download from megaupload/fileserve/filesonic individually, i realise that all the files (suppose 5 files from each server, total 15 files) eventually end up as about 1.5 to 1.9 MBps only.

anybody can clarify this situation?

im on 100MBps fibre plan from singnet btw.

Your international speed download is 15Mbps which equates to around 1.875MB/s. That is about the same range of speed that you are actually getting now.

the_damned

Reaction score
at least yours is cannot connect which is red, mine not even red which is cannot find signal on the ONT, but i called singnet about this morning and they are say under urgent maintainence on my tampines area... so i not sure how true is this.

Last night and this morning was red led but now the PON led on the ONT didnt even light up. No tv, internet and home phone too since last night. I'm wondering if singtel will waive the charges for the days these problems occur.. And yea i'm also in tampines. Also using iphone now..

Last edited:

BaZhAnG

Reaction score
well... they don't like to give notice first then go ahead with maintainence, which abit sucks.... they were thinking "oh at night sure no people use one" or "morning till evening can do coz people go work". come on.... a OFFICIAL notice won't hurt right? at least we can get ready .

critical888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
why singtel techsupport international speed test down for so long one, is it too slow dun dare let people test

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.