Singtel 1 Gbps Unlimited Fibre

miloaisdino

Reaction score
I've been reading about the aggressive QoS singtel has been doing for its 1Gbps plans - but this is ridiculous: :s22:

8Ob2Wyw.png

Can SingTel please contact me for an explanation?

This has been ongoing for since end of March.

New signups - beware.
I have noticed the same thing, i also use the wb8. It happens exactly eevery 8pm. Like wtf man. Now ping to us aws also iin the 600ms range, to china can 800ms also. Pui i might consider just get another line from m1 instead

I DEMAND EXPLANATION FROM SINGTEL AS WELL

Last edited:

2lits17

Reaction score
I think that is the reason why my IPTV is laggy starting 8ish to 10ish every night.

i thought its the provider problem but with this graph i think they deprioritize some network traffic

urbanturban

Master Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of switching to Singtel Fibre (from VQ) to combine with my Singtel TV.
I have a M1 phone line.

- Is the Singtel Fibre speed and reliability equivalent to VQ's? I have been with VQ for years.

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of switching to Singtel Fibre (from VQ) to combine with my Singtel TV.
I have a M1 phone line.

- Is the Singtel Fibre speed and reliability equivalent to VQ's? I have been with VQ for years.

Not a VQ user so can't help u with such comparison. But speed and reliability is still okay for me so far.

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a M1 phone line.

I'm also a VQ subscriber for years - but dependent on the area you are - the network can be stable - or absolute hell.

So far it has been fine for me and not much issue/downtime.

VQ is consistent - which i have no complaints/qualms about. Much like Qala/M1 ADSL in the past.

Singtel "paints" a beautiful picture if you look at the graphs - there's load balancing and transparent caching going on at the back - but of late, the QoS is atrocious and i'm still waiting for a satisfactory reply from Singtel 's engineering with regards to the charts i've posted.

I'd advise you to change to M1 instead - many have gone this route without issue.

I've lost faith in Singtel after looking at the charts and the rampant complaints between 7pm-8pm.

Hopefully there are more Whitebox users still running on SingNet so that we can gather our proof against them.

Singtel, i'm still waiting for a satisfactory reply:

bNAB1mM.png

Every, single, night.

Last edited:

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Load balancing will balance the network loads and transparent caching will speed up file access accross network. Isn't that good for everyone ?

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Load balancing will balance the network loads and transparent caching will speed up file access accross network. Isn't that good for everyone ?

Yes it looks good on paper (and alot of hype for the sales/marketing/advertising guys) - "oh wow... 1Gbps constant speeds" charts - nice flat lined consistent charts.

But if you've used Singnet during ADSL era with the transparent caching - you'll know why people generally shun and subscribe to M1 or other providers who do not use such means.

There have been complications for downloads and application accessibility, i'll just leave it at that.

urbanturban

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. If Singtel Fibre performance is 'iffy', i may just stay with VQ. I have been experiencing relatively stable and good performance from them so far.

Just thought of streamlining my MioTV and Fibre subscriptions since I want the Champions League and Premier League subscriptions.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To put things into perspective, whitebox chart does not indicate load balancing nor caching. If you dwell into the methodology of the tests, you'll also realise that whitebox does not seed a test when you are having intensive usage.

When your Internet is largely idling, whitebox seeds a test a regular intervals until your devices are connected and downloading. It's almost impossible to have such a regularly plotted chart like yours if you are connecting the white box correctly.

It seems to be that whitebox is connected to your router independently of the lan devices, which will not allow whitebox to monitor lan traffic packets and being fooled as your Internet is idling. Whitebox should be connected to router, while all other lan devices connected to white box instead.

I've been using whitebox for several years, there are anomaly points plotted but none is as regular as yours and none are as low as yours at 8pm.

Perhaps you can export the csv file for singtel to investigate?

Would also be keen to find out your whitebox details, you can post a screenshot here with wan ip masked..

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Different isp have different methods to deploy their Internet service. For singtel, there isn't transparent proxy being used on their fibre broadband already. Transparent proxy has their own set of disadvantages and their own advantages.

All isp use load balancing. Which is kinda an essential feature and i don't see how this is affecting user experience.

VQ has its own fair share of traffic management but perhaps less aggressive than singtel, so are m1 and starhub.

No provider can deploy Internet unmanaged, just dependent on which management protocol they are deploying..

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To put things into perspective, whitebox chart does not indicate load balancing nor caching. If you dwell into the methodology of the tests, you'll also realise that whitebox does not seed a test when you are having intensive usage.

When your Internet is largely idling, whitebox seeds a test a regular intervals until your devices are connected and downloading. It's almost impossible to have such a regularly plotted chart like yours if you are connecting the white box correctly.

It seems to be that whitebox is connected to your router independently of the lan devices, which will not allow whitebox to monitor lan traffic packets and being fooled as your Internet is idling. Whitebox should be connected to router, while all other lan devices connected to white box instead.

I've been using whitebox for several years, there are anomaly points plotted but none is as regular as yours and none are as low as yours at 8pm.

Perhaps you can export the csv file for singtel to investigate?

Would also be keen to find out your whitebox details, you can post a screenshot here with wan ip masked..

Details have been PM'ed to them already and am awaiting their satisfactory replies.

Till then, there is no point in speculating as i'm not alone on this.

Different isp have different methods to deploy their Internet service. For singtel, there isn't transparent proxy being used on their fibre broadband already. Transparent proxy has their own set of disadvantages and their own advantages.

All isp use load balancing. Which is kinda an essential feature and i don't see how this is affecting user experience.

VQ has its own fair share of traffic management but perhaps less aggressive than singtel, so are m1 and starhub.

No provider can deploy Internet unmanaged, just dependent on which management protocol they are deploying..

I'd suggest you do more test on a variety of Singtel subscribed customers before you mention - no transparent proxy/caching.

There still is.

This has been verified on:

1. Residential
2. Evolve circuits
3. Elite circuits

Load balacing and QoS plays a piovtal role in any networks' scaling and performance (and of course the dreaded caching server) - again, it depends on how aggressive it is tweaked.

If its not done properly - it can and will - go to hell.

Third Party

Reaction score
I'm also a VQ subscriber for years - but dependent on the area you are - the network can be stable - or absolute hell.

So far it has been fine for me and not much issue/downtime.

VQ is consistent - which i have no complaints/qualms about. Much like Qala/M1 ADSL in the past.

No wor.... VQ was also damn inconsistent for me. Game ping issues, slow access even to popular international sites, slow downloads.... the list goes on. Same same but different.

And I was on their top-end plan until I gave up. They started off fine, but service went down the hill like 1-2 years ago. Now I dunno cos I've switched them out.

urbanturban

Master Member
Reaction score
Can i ask another question?
What kind of household needs 2Gps internet plan?
Is 1Gpbs enough for 4k streaming?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4k streaming probably require only 20mbps. You don't need that much 1gbps for 4k streaming..

2 Gbps plan is for advanced users who has server at home and want dedicated bandwidth solely for it. There are several configurations available across providers, some 2 independent ip addresses while some give only 1 ip address for combined bandwidth.

It's unlikely you need it if you have no plan to deploy the above..

Can i ask another question?
What kind of household needs 2Gps internet plan?
Is 1Gpbs enough for 4k streaming?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The VQ thread is kinda obvious with the number of dissatisfied consumers.. I hope you aren't experiencing that..

No wor.... VQ was also damn inconsistent for me. Game ping issues, slow access even to popular international sites, slow downloads.... the list goes on. Same same but different.

And I was on their top-end plan until I gave up. They started off fine, but service went down the hill like 1-2 years ago. Now I dunno cos I've switched them out.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed on the last part. However, based on your level of knowledge, you wouldn't be with Singtel if the caching is your concern.

Practicality in concern, I satisfied with the service so far. Life's better with my 3rd party router and mesh system. :D

Details have been PM'ed to them already and am awaiting their satisfactory replies.

Till then, there is no point in speculating as i'm not alone on this.

I'd suggest you do more test on a variety of Singtel subscribed customers before you mention - no transparent proxy/caching.

There still is.

This has been verified on:

1. Residential
2. Evolve circuits
3. Elite circuits

Load balacing and QoS plays a piovtal role in any networks' scaling and performance (and of course the dreaded caching server) - again, it depends on how aggressive it is tweaked.

If its not done properly - it can and will - go to hell.

REC4LL

Reaction score
What are the settings to be done on AC68U router ?

The supplied Singtel router is really crappy

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to get the 1 Gbps plan with razer portal router. Anyone using it already who can give reviews? Razer claims wifi coverage is 280 square metre!

On another issue since razer portal only has 4 LAN ports i will need to dust off my D-Link gigabit unmanaged switch. I presume singtel tv set top box will work regardless of whether ifs plugged into my switch or the razer right?

I know starhub more complex cos their ONR got 1 port for IPTV & 1 for BB access. But singtel tv more straightforward right?

Last edited:

lotusnotes

Reaction score
Paging for all Gurus!

i understand that if using SingtelTV, the router must have VLAN.

My situation is:
1) used to subscribe to SingtelTV during first signup, however, I have terminated this service quite some time ago, so now is purely Internet service only.

2) With that, can I use a 3rd party router?

tia!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.