HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #376
Supremacy Member

connected directly to ONT, still only 600+ mbps. but the ONT only allows port 1 to be used. Which means if i go direct, i will not be able to use the router so all my wifi devices cannot connect.

I gave starhub benefit of the doubt, called them, turned off everything, they said there was an issue with my IP address, they reset it, now it's clear. so its back to 600mbps.

15mins later i tested again, 95mbps -_-

Called AGAIN, now they are sending a tech down tomorrow on Sunday. fees waived. so we'll see.

I went to SLS to buy a cat 6 cable just now, plugged it in after the 95mbps speedtest, it showed 645mbps now.

Could it be my cable really spoil after i called Starhub... that is one hell of a coincidence.

Anyway i'm too lazy to keep testing this already, let them come and test themselves.

update: there's definitely still an issue with Starhub, even though speedtest shows 600mbps, my Overwatch download speed is only 6mbps, 10mbps TOPS.

Compare that to the first 1-2 weeks.
https://i.imgur.com/30wr5EL.jpg

Suggest to inform & request to the Starhub that you are on Overwatch and to provide the proper connection for you on this.

There do have reports on this issues and so you may have to ask them.

Would recommend a change of the ONT to see if it resolve your situation.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #377
Arch-Supremacy Member

Suggest to inform & request to the Starhub that you are on Overwatch and to provide the proper connection for you on this.

There do have reports on this issues and so you may have to ask them.

Would recommend a change of the ONT to see if it resolve your situation.
Have to change ONT in order to resolve the issue.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #378
Supremacy Member

Have to change ONT in order to resolve the issue.
Yes.. since change both IP and LAN cable (separately) still unable to resolve the issues.

Is your ONT brand new?
Old 12-01-2019, 10:52 PM   #379
Arch-Supremacy Member

Yes.. since change both IP and LAN cable (separately) still unable to resolve the issues.

Is your ONT brand new?
Yes new ONT. Sometime new also can be faulty.
Old 13-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #380
Master Member

technician coming at 2-4 today, so.. i'll see if he changes the ONT.
Old 13-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #381

Strange issue. Use starhub local speed test, I get 700-900 mbps. Use any other speed test site, approx 250mbps. Wired, and tested on both router and ONT. Interesting.
^Tripper^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #382
Arch-Supremacy Member

technician coming at 2-4 today, so.. i'll see if he changes the ONT.
Must ask him to change the ONT.
Old 13-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #383
Master Member

Ok so.. hopefully it's resolved.

The timeline is.. old cable + starhub ONT + linksys router, intermittent disconnects and slow speeds.

Thought it's the router, switched back to my M1 router, Asus ac1200g+, problem became worse. (Tech told me this might be the cause, since the ONT recognizes a new router and assigns new IP and MAC, causing a conflict)

Finally found time to call Starhub, turned off router + ONT, they reset my IP and MAC, turned back on, new cat 6 and old cat 5e cable have the same issue, slow speedtest of 90mbps and OW only downloaded at 8-10mbps. Decided to leave my new cat 6 cable plugged in.

Woke up this morning, speedtest went back up to 600+ and OW downloaded at near 70mbps. Still on new cat 6 cable.

when the tech came to test on his macbook pro, he hit 900mbps with my new wire, cat 6. I asked him to try my old 5e cable, same 900mbps.

He didn't stay long enough to see if there's any intermittent disconnects.

i plugged in to my own PC to test again with the new cat 6 cable, now i can hit 900mbps....

I honestly don't know what is going on, before he came, i cant hit 900, now i can and i didnt even do anything besides taking the cable out and plugging it back in... WTF?

Anyway, never change anything, speed seems ok now so... he left. I can't complain because everything seems to be working as intended now.

Fingers crossed nothing happens again.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #384
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ok so.. hopefully it's resolved.

The timeline is.. old cable + starhub ONT + linksys router, intermittent disconnects and slow speeds.

Thought it's the router, switched back to my M1 router, Asus ac1200g+, problem became worse. (Tech told me this might be the cause, since the ONT recognizes a new router and assigns new IP and MAC, causing a conflict)

Finally found time to call Starhub, turned off router + ONT, they reset my IP and MAC, turned back on, new cat 6 and old cat 5e cable have the same issue, slow speedtest of 90mbps and OW only downloaded at 8-10mbps. Decided to leave my new cat 6 cable plugged in.

Woke up this morning, speedtest went back up to 600+ and OW downloaded at near 70mbps. Still on new cat 6 cable.

when the tech came to test on his macbook pro, he hit 900mbps with my new wire, cat 6. I asked him to try my old 5e cable, same 900mbps.

He didn't stay long enough to see if there's any intermittent disconnects.

i plugged in to my own PC to test again with the new cat 6 cable, now i can hit 900mbps....

I honestly don't know what is going on, before he came, i cant hit 900, now i can and i didnt even do anything besides taking the cable out and plugging it back in... WTF?

Anyway, never change anything, speed seems ok now so... he left. I can't complain because everything seems to be working as intended now.

Fingers crossed nothing happens again.
Actually this is some kind of gigabit ethernet auto negotiation problem. Next time just try to unplug the cable from your computer then plug it in again. Try a few times and it will be normal.

Last edited by Henry Ng; 13-01-2019 at 07:29 PM..
Old 18-01-2019, 10:40 PM   #385
High Supremacy Member

so starhub came to set up my 1gbps fibre today. i was at work so my parents liaised with the tech. no speed test was conducted, sigh

i just got home and tested using my iphone connected wirelessly. Starhub Local test page shows Download = 55mbps; Upload = 25mbps

wtf? i know it's wireless but how can it be so awful?

UPDATE
- Wired connection works well enough. Download exceeds 1000mbps (lol?), though Upload only goes up to 800+mbps. Should I make noise abt this to Starhub? Or this upload speed is sufficient?

- Strangely, I get slightly higher speeds using the grey cable instead of the black cable

- Wireless speeds are still god awful. Can I conclude that it's a Router issue?

(Above based on speed tests done using the starhub local test page on Edge browser)

Last edited by K|muRa^84; 18-01-2019 at 11:53 PM..
K|muRa^84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #386
Supremacy Member

so starhub came to set up my 1gbps fibre today. i was at work so my parents liaised with the tech. no speed test was conducted, sigh

i just got home and tested using my iphone connected wirelessly. Starhub Local test page shows Download = 55mbps; Upload = 25mbps

wtf? i know it's wireless but how can it be so awful?

UPDATE
- Wired connection works well enough. Download exceeds 1000mbps (lol?), though Upload only goes up to 800+mbps. Should I make noise abt this to Starhub? Or this upload speed is sufficient?

- Strangely, I get slightly higher speeds using the grey cable instead of the black cable

- Wireless speeds are still god awful. Can I conclude that it's a Router issue?

(Above based on speed tests done using the starhub local test page on Edge browser)
Maybe try to disable the DFS channel.

Refer > Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) - FAQ
Old Yesterday, 04:55 AM   #387

My stupiak stinktel $70 fibre+landline+mio bundle contract ends liao. Ish starhub fibre good? I saw the 1gbps plan ish $39/mth nia
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM   #388
High Supremacy Member

DFS only affects 5ghz frequency right?

My 2.4ghz speed is slower than when i was using my old Asus AC68 on a 100mbps plan!

Maybe try to disable the DFS channel.

Refer > Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) - FAQ
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #389
High Supremacy Member

i'm getting 200+mbps Download on 5ghz 1m away from my Router on my laptop using a 1x1 network card (max 433mbps)

would upgrading to a better 2x2 network card improve speeds?
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #390
High Supremacy Member

i'm getting 200+mbps Download on 5ghz 1m away from my Router on my laptop using a 1x1 network card (max 433mbps)

would upgrading to a better 2x2 network card improve speeds?
what router you are using?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.