HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #421
Arch-Supremacy Member

Sorry..

Each router do have 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with SSID names.
Usually the SSID for 5GHz would named similar to 2.4GHz but ending with "5GHz" to mark the difference.

For 5GHz band is has strong signal but limited to short range while 2.4GHz band cover wider area and included penetrating thru wall.

So you may have a total of 4 SSID names for 2 routers.

More details on > Wireless Technologies & Limitation Wi-Fi
I see, thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 28-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #422
Master Member

Sorry..

Each router do have 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with SSID names.
Usually the SSID for 5GHz would named similar to 2.4GHz but ending with "5GHz" to mark the difference.

For 5GHz band is has strong signal but limited to short range while 2.4GHz band cover wider area and included penetrating thru wall.

So you may have a total of 4 SSID names for 2 routers.

More details on > Wireless Technologies & Limitation Wi-Fi
Currently at my Dad's condo, he has 2 routers (EA8100) and Asus AC-66U. Thus total 4 SSIDs (cos of 2 bands each).

Problem i face is that whenever i move, it takes awhile for my phone to switch to the nearest router SSID. Sometimes, speed is slow cos phone is connected to the router in the living room .. whereas i'm actually next to the bedroom router.

Thats my worry of having so many different SSIDs. Although I'm really not sure how standardizing same SSID would help, cos the phone could still be connected to a "further" router.
galliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 10:44 PM   #423
Supremacy Member

Currently at my Dad's condo, he has 2 routers (EA8100) and Asus AC-66U. Thus total 4 SSIDs (cos of 2 bands each).

Problem i face is that whenever i move, it takes awhile for my phone to switch to the nearest router SSID. Sometimes, speed is slow cos phone is connected to the router in the living room .. whereas i'm actually next to the bedroom router.

Thats my worry of having so many different SSIDs. Although I'm really not sure how standardizing same SSID would help, cos the phone could still be connected to a "further" router.
Routers placement are important and if possible to place it at highest level as wireless transmission is horizontal & downward.
Every flat layout may be different in one way or another due to obstacles and other equipment interference.

Testing via trials & errors on to see which areas can receive which band & SSID better.
Once you have a general idea on how both routers wireless signal coverage are then you can decide on how you want it to be.

To standardizing on same SSID would not be of any help if the above is not done properly and may not related much to coverage.

To me if to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band SSID in auto connect mode, it will cause unnecessary connect/disconnect/reconnect to different routers at time.
As this may take time to switch between bands & SSID since this is based on the phones capability and some limitation.

For me i do not use 2.4GHz band totally to avoid interference on switching between bands.
This is after i notice that the 5GHz band coverage is reasonable and adequately enough throughout my flat although the speed may go down very much but still the connection is alive.

My phones are all connected to 2 SSID on 5GHz band on 2 routers, with exception on those phones with 2.4GHz band only.
In this way it work best for me as it would switch to the next router if the phone is too far from the original router.
Hence my phones only auto connect to 5GHz SSID and the 2.4GHz SSID is not auto connect.
It is only on rare occasion then i may have to (manual) connect to 2.4GHz SSID temporary to get the connection.

Do note that i am using 2 sets of DLink DIR-868L which is AC1750 router.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:12 AM   #424
Arch-Supremacy Member

Routers placement are important and if possible to place it at highest level as wireless transmission is horizontal & downward.
Every flat layout may be different in one way or another due to obstacles and other equipment interference.

Testing via trials & errors on to see which areas can receive which band & SSID better.
Once you have a general idea on how both routers wireless signal coverage are then you can decide on how you want it to be.

To standardizing on same SSID would not be of any help if the above is not done properly and may not related much to coverage.

To me if to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band SSID in auto connect mode, it will cause unnecessary connect/disconnect/reconnect to different routers at time.
As this may take time to switch between bands & SSID since this is based on the phones capability and some limitation.

For me i do not use 2.4GHz band totally to avoid interference on switching between bands.
This is after i notice that the 5GHz band coverage is reasonable and adequately enough throughout my flat although the speed may go down very much but still the connection is alive.

My phones are all connected to 2 SSID on 5GHz band on 2 routers, with exception on those phones with 2.4GHz band only.
In this way it work best for me as it would switch to the next router if the phone is too far from the original router.
Hence my phones only auto connect to 5GHz SSID and the 2.4GHz SSID is not auto connect.
It is only on rare occasion then i may have to (manual) connect to 2.4GHz SSID temporary to get the connection.

Do note that i am using 2 sets of DLink DIR-868L which is AC1750 router.
this is very helpful, many thanks for the pointers..

I did check with Starhub on whether it's possible for me to switch from the 2 routers option to the Google Wifi option in case I find that it doesn't work well after they installed..

the sales guy did tell me I can cancel the order (for the order with 2 routers) on the day itself when the installers are at my house if I find that that doesn't work well and they are okay with creating a new order (order with google wifi) and come down again to install again..the discount for the google wifi will still apply
Old 08-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #425

Decided to give Starhub a try for their 1G fibre. (Currently on M1 500Mbps plann for many years). How is Starhub's fibre quality?

I also noticed Starhub is giving away Linksys 8100 router (instead of D-Link which I remembered Starhub used to provide)

Sent from OnePlus 5T using GAGT
sunht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #426
Arch-Supremacy Member

Starhub has $25/month top up for the Asus Vivo book x407ua notebook. Supposed to be worth $799.

Is this value for money? I couldn't get any info on the specs at their it show booth.
s7460597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #427

Hows starhub fibre quality? Reliable enough? Thinking of getting it with the 2 google mesh wifi for a standard 4rm bto as i heard blind spots are quite expected in bto these day.. Any things i shld be aware of?
Tšuschung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #428
Arch-Supremacy Member

tried renewing online and there is no option to opt in for EOCC.
EOCC is only available for walk in renewal ?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #429
Arch-Supremacy Member

tried renewing online and there is no option to opt in for EOCC.
EOCC is only available for walk in renewal ?
Can't recall I see from where if you want EOCC, you need to do it over the counter at their Starhub Shops.
cybertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #430
High Supremacy Member

Starhub has $25/month top up for the Asus Vivo book x407ua notebook. Supposed to be worth $799.

Is this value for money? I couldn't get any info on the specs at their it show booth.
nope...i rather u go to show buy the asus model $749....with 256GB SSD
Old 08-03-2019, 09:37 PM   #431
Arch-Supremacy Member

nope...i rather u go to show buy the asus model $749....with 256GB SSD
Actually NvMe SSD is very common even a few years ago. My Notebook is 2 years + also on 256 NvMe SSD. Want to buy better get better SSD.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #432

Iím thinking the OCBC StarHub 1gb fibre deal is one of the best? Get one mth free and 34.90 per mth. Better than IT show deal
jiahuii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #433

I’m thinking the OCBC StarHub 1gb fibre deal is one of the best? Get one mth free and 34.90 per mth. Better than IT show deal
Correct. Just signed up yesterday.

Old 09-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #434
Supremacy Member

Correct. Just signed up yesterday.

Doesn't come with home line right?
Then what you using? Or not using home line le.
shawniiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #435

Doesn't come with home line right?
Then what you using? Or not using home line le.
If need home line, additional $2/mth. I don't use home line.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.