Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

seowbin

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just change to google DNS ez.
looks like it works :s13:

just switch over to google dns on my google wifi. not sure if that performs additional magic cause it's under "automatic" setting in google wifi

Last edited:

Heidel

Reaction score
I am considering to upgrade my Linksys EA6300 router to Linksys EA7500.

Which Linksys EA7500 version is better.. Linksys EA7500v1 or Linksys EA7500v2?

Linksys EA7500v1 - AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual-band Gigabit, 600 + 1300 Mbps with Qualcom Atheros 1.4 GHz (dual core) chipsets and 3 external antenna.

Linksys EA7500v2 - AC1900+ MU-MIMO Dual-band Gigabit, 800 + 1733 Mbps with MediaTek 880 MHz (dual core) chipsets and 3 external antenna plus 1 internal antenna.

Different in chipset brand, cpc speed, and number of antennas.

Any opinions on which version is the better choice?
Thank you.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering to upgrade my Linksys EA6300 router to Linksys EA7500.

Which Linksys EA7500 version is better.. Linksys EA7500v1 or Linksys EA7500v2?

Linksys EA7500v1 - AC1900 MU-MIMO Dual-band Gigabit, 600 + 1300 Mbps with Qualcom Atheros 1.4 GHz (dual core) chipsets and 3 external antenna.

Linksys EA7500v2 - AC1900+ MU-MIMO Dual-band Gigabit, 800 + 1733 Mbps with MediaTek 880 MHz (dual core) chipsets and 3 external antenna plus 1 internal antenna.

Different in chipset brand, cpc speed, and number of antennas.

Any opinions on which version is the better choice?
Thank you.
Of course Linksys EA7500v2 is better with latest firmware update.
Anyway contract to Starhub 1Gbps come with this free router.

Heidel

Reaction score
Of course Linksys EA7500v2 is better with latest firmware update.
Anyway contract to Starhub 1Gbps come with this free router.

Thank you for your opinion on the Linksys EA7500v2.

Initially, I was not sure whether the Linksys EA7500v1 that comes with the Qualcomm 1.4 GHz was a better chipset, with the higher CPU is better off.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a long term SH Fibre Internet user and my contract has ended. I am contemplating to switch to ST for their internet and mobile services.

I have had no major issue or even minor issue with SH internet since I took up the 1Gbps plan and the speed has been very consistent through the time I am on it. Even while playing games like CSGO, my ping has been consistent at 5ms and no disconnection issue at all.

My friend who was on ST 1Gbps (just renewed), keep having connection issue and will always DC from his game. Speed is unreliable too.

Now the thing is, if I were to stay with SH, what bundle should I go for or I should go Ala Carte on all services to enjoy monthly discount from Hub Club benefits.

Anyone can advise?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a long term SH Fibre Internet user and my contract has ended. I am contemplating to switch to ST for their internet and mobile services.

I have had no major issue or even minor issue with SH internet since I took up the 1Gbps plan and the speed has been very consistent through the time I am on it. Even while playing games like CSGO, my ping has been consistent at 5ms and no disconnection issue at all.

My friend who was on ST 1Gbps (just renewed), keep having connection issue and will always DC from his game. Speed is unreliable too.

Now the thing is, if I were to stay with SH, what bundle should I go for or I should go Ala Carte on all services to enjoy monthly discount from Hub Club benefits.

Anyone can advise?
As long as you have 3 main services, namely, Broadband, TV & Mobile, you are Hub Club member with benefits.
That's whether ala carte or HomeHub plan.
Discounts n some benefits are the same.
HomeHub additional benefits are free home line and maxmobile 1GB mobile data only.

SibehHL

Reaction score
Am a SH 1Gbps fibre user, recently upgraded firmware for the D-LINK868 router and found my download speed dropped to 300+ Mbps. Upload speed is around 600+ Mbps.

Note I did a factory reset after the firmware upgrade and reset the DNS to google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) Connection speed used to be around 900+ Mbps for both.

My PC is directly connected to the router via CAT 6 cable.

Any where else I should look at before calling SH Service Centre? Note I am a layman in terms of these IT matters. Thanks in advance.

chesterqw

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Am a SH 1Gbps fibre user, recently upgraded firmware for the D-LINK868 router and found my download speed dropped to 300+ Mbps. Upload speed is around 600+ Mbps.

Note I did a factory reset after the firmware upgrade and reset the DNS to google DNS (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) Connection speed used to be around 900+ Mbps for both.

Any where else I should look at before calling SH Service Centre? Note I am a layman in terms of these IT matters. Thanks in advance.

power cycled the ONT yet?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Firmware version 1.09SHC.
Do factory reset and do not change the DNS & other settings, except SSID & Password, if nec.
Speedtest on Starhub server.

SibehHL

Reaction score
Firmware version 1.09SHC.
Do factory reset and do not change the DNS & other settings, except SSID & Password, if nec.
Speedtest on Starhub server.

Firmware is upgraded. Did as advised and getting 490Mbps for download & 890Mbps for upload using SH Speed Test.

Are the speed achieved normal for a 1Gbps plan? Thanks again.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Firmware is upgraded. Did as advised and getting 490Mbps for download & 890Mbps for upload using SH Speed Test.

Are the speed achieved normal for a 1Gbps plan? Thanks again.
Speed varies from time to time.
Meaning peak hours would be slow.
Measurement based on various timing.
Official they stated 60% is minimum.
Sometime it depend on browser, computer spec n usage, etc.
For 1Gbps means this is shared within your premise.
More users online expect slight differences among users.

Mine normal is 500mbps down to 600+mbps up on Chrome.
But 600+mbps down to 900+mbps up on IE.
It is fine to me as i am not heavy user.

Last edited:

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score

Anyone can advise?

As long as you have 3 main services, namely, Broadband, TV & Mobile, you are Hub Club member with benefits.
That's whether ala carte or HomeHub plan.
Discounts n some benefits are the same.
HomeHub additional benefits are free home line and maxmobile 1GB mobile data only.

As mentioned by brother eric, most value plan would be HomeHub if you going to re-contract with Starhub. There is now the 6 month free HomeHub 1000 plan which means on the first 6 months, you are only paying for your mobile contracts.

Last edited:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

No use having ferrari that breaks down every month. That said, also cannnot be too slow lah.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Anyone can advise?
Lol. There are those who say starhub good but singtel sucks & vice versa.

tungsten2

Master Member
Reaction score

Anyone can advise?

Rule no.1, if it ain't broken, don't backside itchy and fix it.

IMHO, if you have mobile lines with SH and enjoy the Starhub Tv, then stick to the Hub Club ELSE go ala carte. Moreover, now comes with Complimentary 12-month HomeInsuredTM (home insurance) for new and recontract customers only at point of sale. Its a very good deal.

cct75

Master Member
Reaction score
The only thing is if you are on Starhub Cable TV, always check what is the LATEST available package. There was one door-to-door Starhub Customer Service guy who walked to my door steps and since I was previously with VQ Fibre with contract already expired and wanted to switch back to Starhub Fibre, I allow him to help me sign up to HomeHub 1000. He requested for my latest Starhub bills so he can see what "additional" channels I subscribed to. Most of my then additional channels were those HK and Taiwan channels meant for my mum and they were then "individual" ala carte channels or packages so they cost me a hell lot. This guy just want to earn his commission and not even bother to advise me I could have switch over to Qiang Dang Yu Le package which would comprise of all the channels I had individually subscribed to.

And I then found this out and remove all the individual subscribed channels and switched over to Qiang Dang Yu Le and my Starhub TV monthly cost came down from $110+ down to $70+. A $40 savings per month.

SibehHL

Reaction score

Just an update; called up D-Link Starhub Service Center and we went through a series of configuarations but to no avail. In the end they decided to give me a replacement. Probably will pick it up this week.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.