SuperInternet 10Gbps Access Residential Service

zoneguard

Reaction score
Some other options for 10G switches in this thread.

Some of these choices are more residential friendly in terms of pricing and noise level.

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score
Some other options for 10G switches in this thread.

Some of these choices are more residential friendly in terms of pricing and noise level.

Add-on

NETGEAR ProSAFE XS708E 8-Port 10G Ethernet Switch @ Amazon

NETGEAR ProSAFE XS712T 12-Port 10GBase-T Gigabit Smart Managed Switch @ Amazon

porky_88

Reaction score
interested... monitoring keenly..

biggest benefit i to me ... ONT no longer needed!

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
interested... monitoring keenly..

biggest benefit i to me ... ONT no longer needed!

Will still need a media converter if your switch is 10GbaseT, if your switch has SFP+ ports it will be fiber directly into the switch optics :)

SI sales is very slow to reply :(

porky_88

Reaction score
Will still need a media converter if your switch is 10GbaseT, if your switch has SFP+ ports it will be fiber directly into the switch optics :)

SI sales is very slow to reply :(

they are more a solution provider than mass consumer telco... best to call them.

BCC2-Medium.jpg

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
they are more a solution provider than mass consumer telco... best to call them.

BCC2-Medium.jpg

Yes, I have called them before. But they still have to send the sign up forms by email. That's what I'm still waiting for.

Edit: Still going with MikroTik. Better value.

porky_88

Reaction score
Yes, I have called them before. But they still have to send the sign up forms by email. That's what I'm still waiting for.

Edit: Still going with MikroTik. Better value.

Agree.. Mikrotik value and "ease of use" still the best..

but then again.. if we are going into 10Gbps .. it's more of a hobby than actual need. And as with any hobby.. the ability to pop open the hood and tinker is where the fun is.

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
Agree.. Mikrotik value and "ease of use" still the best..

but then again.. if we are going into 10Gbps .. it's more of a hobby than actual need. And as with any hobby.. the ability to pop open the hood and tinker is where the fun is.

I have an ADI platform now (RCC-VE) I use with pfSense.

And anyway there's not much to do below the hood.

The MikroTik CPU is a lot more powerful and can actually do NetFlow exports at line rate, something x86 is terrible at.

Edit: MikroTik is not easy to use. :p

Last edited:

porky_88

Reaction score
I have an ADI platform now (RCC-VE) I use with pfSense.

And anyway there's not much to do below the hood.

The MikroTik CPU is a lot more powerful and can actually do NetFlow exports at line rate, something x86 is terrible at.

pfsense not much to tinker... and sort of gave up on it... the multi wan just does not work properly for me.. 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 .. not tried since...

when i said tinker... it's the software... dpdk is an area with a lot of promise..

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
pfsense not much to tinker... and sort of gave up on it... the multi wan just does not work properly for me.. 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 .. not tried since...

when i said tinker... it's the software... dpdk is an area with a lot of promise..

Take a look at the pfSense 3 roadmap. They are planning to include DPDK.

But it still won't be as fast as the MT CCR’s Tilera CPU fabric and parallelism (especially the 36 core and 72 core variants)

zoneguard

Reaction score
Using multi wan on pfsense on esxi.

RouterOS can run virtualized on x86: CHR.

Was previously SI's subscriber during 100M days so keenly watching the development of its 10G offering.

porky_88

Reaction score
Take a look at the pfSense 3 roadmap. They are planning to include DPDK.

But it still won't be as fast as the MT CCR’s Tilera CPU fabric and parallelism (especially the 36 core and 72 core variants)

the last update was that they are favouring netmap over dpdk.. either way.. looking forward to pfsense 3.0

I am not not a fan of routeros... the hardware is sexy thou :)

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
Using multi wan on pfsense on esxi.

RouterOS can run virtualized on x86: CHR.

Was previously SI's subscriber during 100M days so keenly watching the development of its 10G offering.

x86 not good with 10G I/O even with DPDK. Especially with small packets.

The whole point of my liking the CCRs is the great price:performance ratio of the Tilera CPUs.

The PHYs are connected to the CPU fabric and the firewall rules are processed in parallel.

Also if I was on x86, I wouldn't run RouterOS unless I really needed MPLS :p

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
the last update was that they are favouring netmap over dpdk.. either way.. looking forward to pfsense 3.0

I am not not a fan of routeros... the hardware is sexy thou :)

Until the day x86 can do NetFlow and QoS queues @ 10G and handle small packets at huge PPS, I'll stick to CCRs :3

Even the Juniper REs can't do line rate NetFlow.

At least, that's my personal preference based on my work on VQ’s core network. Haha.

But most businesses are still resistant to RouterOS and non-Cisco/Juniper stuff.

porky_88

Reaction score
Until the day x86 can do NetFlow and QoS queues @ 10G and handle small packets at huge PPS, I'll stick to CCRs :3

Even the Juniper REs can't do line rate NetFlow.

At least, that's my personal preference based on my work on VQ’s core network. Haha.

But most businesses are still resistant to RouterOS and non-Cisco/Juniper stuff.

the netflow/QoS/small packets handling are per say not x86 weakness.. the issue is with the ip stack on standard linux kernels... freebsd is much better in that regard. but if you have a bit of free time.. there are custom patchset available to hack/optimise it... which is pretty much what mikrotik did with routers

edit: in the recent 4.x kernels.. there are significant changes on the networking portion

Last edited:

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
the netflow/QoS/small packets handling are per say not x86 weakness.. the issue is with the ip stack on standard linux kernels... freebsd is much better in that regard. but if you have a bit of free time.. there are custom patchset available to hack/optimise it... which is pretty much what mikrotik did with routeros

To a limit though. It's still a fact that Tilera arch has PHYs on the CPU fabric and custom hardware accel on RouterOS while x86 is still tied to PCIe and drivers being more CPU bound for forwarding.

Anyway the proof is in the pudding - hoping to do some extensive tests once they send me the forms

porky_88

Reaction score
To a limit though. It's still a fact that Tilera arch has PHYs on the CPU fabric and custom hardware accel on RouterOS while x86 is still tied to PCIe and drivers being more CPU bound for forwarding.

Anyway the proof is in the pudding - hoping to do some extensive tests once they send me the forms

eagerly waiting for your reports and tests.... 10Gbps symmetric with ultra low latency.... i can see a lot os hackers relocating to SG... hahahahaha

maylyn

Master Member
Reaction score

Monkey,

Just go camp outside SuperInternet office after CNY and show them this

Shut-up-and-take-my-money-1024x640.jpg

Awaiting for you to show hand leh ....

I planning to whack the Intel P3608 NVME PCIe 3.0 x8 SSD and bench.

Another use case that most forgot is that NAS these days with decent RAID and high GHz ARM/Intel CPUs are already able to read/write in excess of 1Gbps throughput using ordinary cheap disks.

As Maylyn has featured, his NAS has 10G port card and most Synology/QNAP higher end models have optional add in cards for 10GbE/10GbaseT (or even built in).

So it will become possible to serve raw 4K and 8K footage over WAN now.

I like being served raw D :)

I know you like it as well :s13:

Planning to hoot the Intel P3608 1.6TB NVME PCIe 3.0 x8 SSD after CNY ^^

Don't even need to worry after write wearing without TRIM @ 24/7 :D

Rated read @ 5GB/s and write @ 3GB/s

Endurance wearing @ 8.76PBW :s22:

Intel-SSD-DC-P3608-1.6TB-Front.jpg

Intel-SSD-DC-P3608-1.6TB-PCB-Front.jpg

IOMeter

Intel-DC-P3608-IOPS-and-CPU-usage.png

Problem now is the Intel CPU is becoming kinda bottleneck ~~ even on 12 core/24 thread Intel Xeon E5 2690 v3

An interesting thing to note is that while reading at such high speeds our CPU usage was around 60% in Iometer and 76% overall in Windows task manager with our Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 CPU. A single drive is actually capable of almost full utilization of our 12-core test bench CPU! This just goes to show that now with NVMe, the CPU can potentially become the bottleneck rather than the storage device, and when planning out deployment of equipped servers, one needs to take this into consideration.

Image Credits ~ www.thessdreview.com

porky_88

Reaction score
Quote: "The drive comes in three capacities: 1.6TB, 3.2TB and 4TB. Sit down before you read the prices: The 1.6TB drive is $3,509, the 3.2TB costs $7,009, and the 4TB pushes it all the way to $8,759!!!!!!"

Hong Bao toto draw is 12M right? Got hope..

Edit: above price is in USD!!!!!

miketkf

Reaction score
Quote: "The drive comes in three capacities: 1.6TB, 3.2TB and 4TB. Sit down before you read the prices: The 1.6TB drive is $3,509, the 3.2TB costs $7,009, and the 4TB pushes it all the way to $8,759!!!!!!"

Hong Bao toto draw is 12M right? Got hope..

Edit: above price is in USD!!!!!

Wow! It is very expensive.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.