ViewQwest Fiber Broadband Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if the customer is not using VQ's equipment?
That is my question.

Are you saying you allow customers to not pay their bill, and leave the services running?
I find this hard to believe, and slightly misleading.
Surely there is a standard practice to suspend services if there's non payment for a period of time??

Are you dense or just stupidly stubborn?

1. You can only use VQ's ONT.

2. All firms work that way, even the power company. If there's a failed deduction, they send you a reminder. Then, depending on their terms, they may terminate services after the 2nd or 3rd reminder or a period of 60/90 days etc etc.

You're new to the adult world and paying your own bills, aren't you?

batboyz

Master Member
Reaction score
That is my question.

This won't even happen in the first place, since you have to use Zhone ONT provided by VQ in order to utilise VQ fibernet service. This also applies to any other ISPs, not just VQ. Hence, this question is not a valid question.

However, if you were asking about using your own router, of course that is nothing to do with VQ, hence VQ only takes care/cares about Zhone ONT, since it's rented, not given/sold.

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not too sure what happened exactly, and unfortunately can't seem to find any articles/links about it online. Just heard from our engineers that they had received notice that something was wrong with the cable but it should be fixed and back to normal by the 14th.

Quite similar to announcement made by Malaysia ISP - TM. Below is a link to the announcement:

Breaking: Marine Cable Maintenance in the US to Cause Delays When Accessing US and EU Servers Until Friday | Lowyat.NET

On a side note - we've got some pretty exciting news coming up soon that should make you guys pretty happy! For now all i can say is that it has to do with the network and keeping the promises we've made to you all :D

Woohoo... Makes me ponder what it would be.

viewqwest

Featured Sponsor for Internet Bandwidth & Networki
Reaction score
Understand that..
Are customers not allowed to ask questions about the T&C's?
You seem slightly on the defensive.
I got a more reasonable (and polite) response from someone on this forum that doesn't even work for VQ.

That is my question.

Are you saying you allow customers to not pay their bill, and leave the services running?
I find this hard to believe, and slightly misleading.
Surely there is a standard practice to suspend services if there's non payment for a period of time??

We are more than happy to answer questions.

We have made no provisions for changing the deposit should the customer have purchased the zhone ONT as there are other potential costs that we could incur in the default of payment from customers who are foreigners.

I understand the need for the deposit is an irritation to you, but we require it as a safeguard against the credit exposure that we take.

viewqwest

Featured Sponsor for Internet Bandwidth & Networki
Reaction score

2. All firms work that way, even the power company. If there's a failed deduction, they send you a reminder. Then, depending on their terms, they may terminate services after the 2nd or 3rd reminder or a period of 60/90 days etc etc.

Guys,

Lets please try to keep it civil.

thanks

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
either VQ are unaware or just simply not monitoring the network load.

my download today hovers ard 100mbps to 140mbps from the usual 200mbps to 260mbps. some files download as slow as 600KB/s even with 16 connections!?

but as soon as i switch over to my starhub 150mbps fiber connection, all my download saturated starhub connection at 150mbps constant!

What happen to the fastest downloads speed for Viewqwest?

Each RSP may have their own peerings and transits which may result in difference in performance (such as latency, throughput, usage pattern such as peak hours at oversea ends). It is this difference that allows ViewQwest to be able to achieve lower latency than other mainstream RSPs for some destinations under normal days. However, this difference also means when certain submarine cabling encounters fault/cut, certain RSP(s) get affected while other RSP(s) does not.

In short, the difference in each RSP can be a double-edged sword where it sets the RSP apart from other RSPs in performance, be it better or degradation.

I am sure VQ is aware of it and has done necessary remediation action(s) such as re-route until the affected "link" is restore back to normal. Each re-routing done usually takes some time for normalization of the network to take place and during which, hiccup is expected.

stiwipl

Reaction score
It seems you have to use VQ equipment, however it can be set in bridge mode so you can use your own equipment behind VQ.

I had 2 year bundle MIO deal with Singtel before, they gave me a handset for 24 months including the internet, landline and TV channels and despite being foreigner, they didn't want from me anything except valid EP. I believe the risk is similar in VQ case, although I am able to understand that VQ is much smaller company and can't afford possible losses.

What I don't understand is why VQ treats locals and PRs differently. Let's face it, if someone is going to break the lease, cancel his credit card, sell VQ equipment or leave the country without notice, terminating the service and not paying paying outstanding bills it doesn't have to be EP foreigner only.

MR T&C are written in a nicer way stating they can ask for deposit should they wish so from everyone.

I believe it would be reasonable to take some kind of deposit on 2-year bundle deal from foreigners whose EP expiry is in less than 12 months.

chaicka

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It seems you have to use VQ equipment, however it can be set in bridge mode so you can use your own equipment behind VQ.

I had 2 year bundle MIO deal with Singtel before, they gave me a handset for 24 months including the internet, landline and TV channels and despite being foreigner, they didn't want from me anything except valid EP. I believe the risk is similar in VQ case, although I am able to understand that VQ is much smaller company and can't afford possible losses.

What I don't understand is why VQ treats locals and PRs differently. Let's face it, if someone is going to break the lease, cancel his credit card, sell VQ equipment or leave the country without notice, terminating the service and not paying paying outstanding bills it doesn't have to be EP foreigner only.

MR T&C are written in a nicer way stating they can ask for deposit should they wish so from everyone.

I believe it would be reasonable to take some kind of deposit on 2-year bundle deal from foreigners whose EP expiry is in less than 12 months.

Hahahahaha... I wonder how much "write-off" SingTel, StarHub, M1 have been making each year for those "bad debts" chalk up by foreigners? :s8:

Hmmm... Would it be fair for the rest of the subscriber pool to bare these "bad debts"?

A small percentage of black-sheep is sufficient to cause significant harm.

Technobagus

Reaction score
On a side note - we've got some pretty exciting news coming up soon that should make you guys pretty happy! For now all i can say is that it has to do with the network and keeping the promises we've made to you all :D

Ok. I am intrigued.... When will this news be announced? :D

wolfgang13

Reaction score

What are you, 3 years old? Grow up.

The point was clearly lost on you.

I asked what the disconnection period was if a customer didn't pay their bill, and got quite a vague answer, saying they prefer not disconnect.

My point- that you clearly missed- pointed to the fact VQ would of course have a disconnection policy in place.

This won't even happen in the first place, since you have to use Zhone ONT provided by VQ in order to utilise VQ fibernet service. This also applies to any other ISPs, not just VQ. Hence, this question is not a valid question.

However, if you were asking about using your own router, of course that is nothing to do with VQ, hence VQ only takes care/cares about Zhone ONT, since it's rented, not given/sold.

Understand.. So the security deposit of $400 is for the Zhone ONT.

Hey FT, learn to read.

Why are you so stubborn?

I can read perfectly fine. Though, it seems there's a bunch of sheep (read fanboys) in this thread that get offended when a genuine customer asks VQ to clarify a few things about the T&C's.

We are more than happy to answer questions.

We have made no provisions for changing the deposit should the customer have purchased the zhone ONT as there are other potential costs that we could incur in the default of payment from customers who are foreigners.

I understand the need for the deposit is an irritation to you, but we require it as a safeguard against the credit exposure that we take.

VQ.. I understand the deposit is for the Zhone unit, and also exposure to non payment bills.
Thanks for clarifying.
Its not an irritant, however, I wanted a straight answer about it which I never got from VQ CS, and also on this forum initially.
A customer has a right to ask questions- without getting some workflow chart response of "its in our T&C's" which I initially got.

My point remains though. I find $400 slightly excessive.

The amount of security deposits should only cover the cost of the modem, and exposure arrears. Which I doubt add up to $400. Anything more- and it starts to look to any informed customer like 'gouging'...
Which to me, to be completely honest, it does (slightly)

Regards

Integra.TypeR

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Why are you comparing between locals and EPs? Every company out there has it's own T&C applies to locals & EPs.

Do you want the same benefits local gets aside from this T&C? If that is the case, what makes you and us diff?

:s13:

Last edited:

Integra.TypeR

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hahahahaha... I wonder how much "write-off" SingTel, StarHub, M1 have been making each year for those "bad debts" chalk up by foreigners? :s8:

Hmmm... Would it be fair for the rest of the subscriber pool to bare these "bad debts"?

A small percentage of black-sheep is sufficient to cause significant harm.

In any case, they don't even announce it to public. Since the above mentioned are local telco's and they welcome foreigners subscriber with open arms.

wolfgang13

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why VQ treats locals and PRs differently.

Personally, I do believe VQ has a right to mitigate the increased risk with foreigners.

However, I think this should be in-line with the actual exposure to the company- and in goodwill.

The $400 amount, in my opinion only, is not in-line with the risk they're taking on.

Its excessive.

My 2c.

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do believe VQ has a right to mitigate the increased risk with foreigners.

However, I think this should be in-line with the actual exposure to the company- and in goodwill.

The $400 amount, in my opinion only, is not in-line with the risk they're taking on.

Its excessive.

My 2c.

Then also complain to starhub, SP power, etc. Go complain to the government. Or go home.

Integra.TypeR

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I find it funny when non-locals complaining about the $400 deposit.

In the first place, if you are not HAPPY with the $400 deposit lay down by the provider, you shouldn't have apply it anyway.

It sounds contradicting that some one want the BEST and yet refuses to accept the T&Cs lay down by the provider.

Anyway, if you're telling people "LEARN TO READ", i personally think you should be the one because you were the one signed up blindly despite knowing the $400 deposit and come here cry father cry mother (if you want to know what it means i'm glad to explain it to you).

Last edited:

wolfgang13

Reaction score
Then also complain to starhub, SP power, etc. Go complain to the government. Or go home.

Starhub & SP Powers deposit are in-line with the risk they're taking on.

In terms of the 'or go home' comment...
Good to see there's still some un-educated xenophobic individuals floating around.

Is that your response to anyone that questions anything in this country that wasn't born here?
Unbelievable.
Great image you're putting out to the world and international community.

wolfgang13

Reaction score
I find it funny when non-locals complaining about the $400 deposit.

In the first place, if you are not HAPPY with the $400 deposit lay down by the provider, you shouldn't have apply it anyway.

It sounds contradicting that some one want the BEST and yet refuses to accept the T&Cs lay down by the provider.

Who says anything about not refusing to accept.

There was a valid question to the company that wasn't answered by VQ CS. So I brought it here.

In terms of the comment go home- unbelievably offensive.

shadey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub & SP Powers deposit are in-line with the risk they're taking on.

In terms of the 'or go home' comment...
Good to see there's still some un-educated xenophobic individuals floating around.

Is that your response to anyone that questions anything in this country that wasn't born here?
Unbelievable.
Great image you're putting out to the world and international community.

Sadly, Starhub and SP Power's deposits are also not "in line" with the risk.

As for uneducated, I'm not the one trying to throw my weight around, thinking that by calling something "excessive" we will all kowtow to you and kiss your glorious posterior.

Here are some basic facts that I think even someone as uneducated, arrogant and "feeling self-entitled" as you can understand:

1. The contract stipulates a $400 deposit for foreigners.
2. Don't like it, go sign elsewhere.

Or is that still too complicated for you? If yes, please go raise your complaint to the Prime Minister since you obviously feel that you are being "cheated" despite not paying the same dues as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.