Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

ViewQwest Fiber Broadband Official Thread - Part 4

Like Tree2372Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2015, 02:21 AM   #2881
Master Member

Is there an issue with Hulu?

When I login to Hulu on my Appletv for the past 1 week. Keep getting "Hulu Is unavailable" message. But no issue with Netflix.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:47 AM   #2882

I think Viewquest has blew the chance again to make this a really solid box.

Once again it comes with a 8GB internal storage and 100MB Lan.
Personal experience is that it should at least come with 16GB internal storage.
The price you are charging for the box should at least give us 16GB mah.

For the price, you can easily get another much better box out there.

Will this new box be given to new subscriber if they sign up during comex?
Is this box come rooted?
Any warranty for the box?

Suggestion:
VQ might want to offer annual plan for its Freedom DNS at much lower annual fee. Like that can fight with those much better DNS service that is much cheaper and you get customer to commit to your Freedom DNS services.
Win Win situation for users and VQ.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:51 AM   #2883
Master Member

Is there an issue with Hulu?

When I login to Hulu on my Appletv for the past 1 week. Keep getting "Hulu Is unavailable" message. But no issue with Netflix.
Just tested again. It works on VQTV but not Appletv. Appletv shows Hulu not available on all the Appletv sets in my house.

Anyone else with Appletv facing this issue?

EDIT: excellent VQ noc as usual got back on email less than 30 mins. They said I have to configure the DNS on the Appletv manually. It works now.

Previously it worked on auto dns on my Appletv with no hitch for nearly the past two years.. Now we have to set the DNS manually. Weird?

Last edited by jackycar; 29-08-2015 at 03:15 AM..
Old 29-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #2884

Just tested again. It works on VQTV but not Appletv. Appletv shows Hulu not available on all the Appletv sets in my house.

Anyone else with Appletv facing this issue?

EDIT: excellent VQ noc as usual got back on email less than 30 mins. They said I have to configure the DNS on the Appletv manually. It works now.

Previously it worked on auto dns on my Appletv with no hitch for nearly the past two years.. Now we have to set the DNS manually. Weird?
Will get this escalated and checked out. But might be possible Apple/Hulu implementing funny stuff like Roku kind. shall get back to you once i get a reply.
Old 29-08-2015, 07:50 AM   #2885

Will get this escalated and checked out. But might be possible Apple/Hulu implementing funny stuff like Roku kind. shall get back to you once i get a reply.
I'm not a Freedom VPN subscriber. I use a separate VPN service and I'm getting this error occasionally too. Usually fixes itself after I reboot the Apple TV. It's possible Apple / Hulu are cracking down on VPN users given Apple's rumoured introduction of a new AppleTV box next month.
Old 29-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #2886

Wow, page 3 news in today's ST! Congrats for the coverage VQ!

The worry is that VQ has now put itself in the spotlight and will certainly come under target from competitors. You can be sure the big 3 telcos will start submitting their views to the regulators on why this should be illegal. Even Netflix itself might complain because it'd affect their ability to launch a proper service here.

Let's hope VQ's move will not result in an overall review on the use of VPN to overcome geolocation restrictions. There are very strong lobby groups with an interest in this, especially in the US!
darkmatt and SaruwatariShun like this.
Old 29-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #2887
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wow, page 3 news in today's ST! Congrats for the coverage VQ!

The worry is that VQ has now put itself in the spotlight and will certainly come under target from competitors. You can be sure the big 3 telcos will start submitting their views to the regulators on why this should be illegal. Even Netflix itself might complain because it'd affect their ability to launch a proper service here.

Let's hope VQ's move will not result in an overall review on the use of VPN to overcome geolocation restrictions. There are very strong lobby groups with an interest in this, especially in the US!
I don't think Netflix will be bothered by this so long it is not offered free to consumers buying this box.. its still chargeable monthly for the subscription..

If Netflix is concerned, apple tv won't be surviving until now I guess..
Old 29-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #2888
Arch-Supremacy Member

Information from HWZ as follows :

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-...use-it-any-isp

What kind of other information that you need? Specs is within the article as well.
If I'm already on freedom vpn, will I enjoy one year free when I buy this box?
Old 29-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #2889
Supremacy Member

Question

A simple non-gui way to perform speedtest is to actually perform iperf/jperf, otherwise just direct downloading from local CDNs typically might show full speeds as well....
But if I wish to use iperf against those server, e.g. the one http://speedtest10.vqbn.com/ is hosted on, don't that server need to have iperf installed as well? & don't I need some way to issue command to designate that server as "the iperf server"?

...Hopefuilly that explains or at least clear up some air
Btw, just curious, I'm unsure if this is related to the outdated firmware of my Zhone ONT or not, but is it true that when the Zhone ONT is in bridge mode, the maximum no. of unique MAC address it can relay to VQ's side is 2; hence if I plug in a third machine (with a third unique MAC address), it(VQ's) will stop issuing IP address? How does all this work anyway?
Old 29-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #2890

Question

Nvidia shield can replace the VQTV? Can the vqtv allow subs to watch Barclay premier league, f1?
Old 29-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #2891

Just a question, has the free upgrade to 1Gbps been rolled out?
Old 29-08-2015, 01:41 PM   #2892
Master Member

Nvidia shield can replace the VQTV? Can the vqtv allow subs to watch Barclay premier league, f1?
if u install the right addons, u shld be able to view what u want.
Old 29-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #2893

But if I wish to use iperf against those server, e.g. the one http://speedtest10.vqbn.com/ is hosted on, don't that server need to have iperf installed as well? & don't I need some way to issue command to designate that server as "the iperf server"?

Btw, just curious, I'm unsure if this is related to the outdated firmware of my Zhone ONT or not, but is it true that when the Zhone ONT is in bridge mode, the maximum no. of unique MAC address it can relay to VQ's side is 2; hence if I plug in a third machine (with a third unique MAC address), it(VQ's) will stop issuing IP address? How does all this work anyway?

Iperf server wise should be able to find some local ones with 1gbps upload and download. I'll look into that in abit for you...

The mac address wise, no matter what it'll be the same, as when the Zhone is operating as router mode, it still has a mac address, albeit its feeding its own mac address instead of the bridged device.
Old 29-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #2894

Smile

If I'm already on freedom vpn, will I enjoy one year free when I buy this box?
In the news it was mentioned that if we buy the set-top box it comes with 12 months free VPN.
Old 29-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #2895
Supremacy Member

streaming box is not illegal (unless u use a decoder)

vpn is not illegal
SaruwatariShun likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.