Where to buy Cat5e/Cat6 Ethernet Cables at Sim Lim/Funan?

SiaoAngMoh

Reaction score
Well my current wiring is just 2x utp cat5e in a pvc trunking, so there won't be noise from power lines.. Unless the utp cables will induct interference into each other? But isn't that what differential signalling in twisted pairs counters - to cancel out the noise?
Well doesn't matter though, as the distance is really short, like at most 20m only :s8:

Yes, even within the same cable there will still be interference from one pair to another pair. However, the receiver will be able to deal with most of this since it knows what signals are on the other pairs, and can work out potential noise and filter accordingly.

The issue will be noise from another cable (Alien Cross talk). This cannot be filtered by the receiver, and you must threrefore reduce this noise another way. This is the limiting factor for 10G. Either use Cat6a cables (thinker insulation to increase the distance between the pairs in one cable vs another cable, or better yet use shielded cables. Cat 6 shielded is the way to go to me.

Cat 8.1 and Cat 8.2 mentioned earlier are only needed for the future 40G standard, and are still under development.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any online store to recommend?

Available everywhere in sg and even my neighbourhood hardware store selling it. Very common and price is standard. Price the same among most shops. Flat type just need to go Funam IT Mall to buy.

pa9797

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should get the Cat 7 Cables. They are backward compatible and are make of very good materials for data .

Go to Sim Lim square backlane at 4th floor called Zion cables just right behind Fuwell

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nt really relevant but i bought 300m of Cat 6 from LHS this week

For my 5-room new flat cabling..

i-JVzZZxX-S.jpg

i-bXz46Cc-S.jpg

i-Sc9rVgJ-S.jpg

If i got left, I can sell 30m to u :) :) :)

Such long wiring is for contractor to buy and very cheap. HDB one cable connection will be < 30M for sure. My cable is only 7M and I assist the contractor to lay the wire into my existing trucking and in 5-10 min time it is done. Such long cable, not for consumer because we do not have the cuter and device to made the plug and the plug must be good quality. For consumer better to buy cat 5e or 6 with actual length with ready made plug or get a contractor.

edwin643

Reaction score
Relocate modem or router.

I want to shift either the ONT or router from existing location which is beside my main door, where the TP is originally installed.
Pls advice should I buy fiber optic cable, 15 metre, to shift the ONT to my TV console or get Cat 5e cable to shift the router and leave the ONT at its original position.

Any advice is appreciate.
Edwin

zitseng

Reaction score
I want to shift either the ONT or router from existing location which is beside my main door, where the TP is originally installed.
Pls advice should I buy fiber optic cable, 15 metre, to shift the ONT to my TV console or get Cat 5e cable to shift the router and leave the ONT at its original position.

Any advice is appreciate.
Edwin

My preference is to keep all the active equipment together (i.e. ONT and Router together). Since you want your router at the TV, then the ONT should go there too. In this case, get the fibre optic cable. This tends to be more costly than Cat5e cable though. Otoh, fibre optic cable is thinner (but more delicate) and easier to conceal.

edwin643

Reaction score
Reloate ONT or Router advise

My preference is to keep all the active equipment together (i.e. ONT and Router together). Since you want your router at the TV, then the ONT should go there too. In this case, get the fibre optic cable. This tends to be more costly than Cat5e cable though. Otoh, fibre optic cable is thinner (but more delicate) and easier to conceal.

Thank you zitseng,
May I know disadvantage just shifting the router to the TV console as well as the advantage of shifting both these equipments.
When I need to update the firmware of the TV, Blu-ray player, StarHub STB,etc, the router, being shifted with these items, will be convienient.
BTW, I do not need to conceal the Cat 5e cable.
Regards
Edwin

zitseng

Reaction score
Thank you zitseng,
May I know disadvantage just shifting the router to the TV console as well as the advantage of shifting both these equipments.
When I need to update the firmware of the TV, Blu-ray player, StarHub STB,etc, the router, being shifted with these items, will be convienient.
BTW, I do not need to conceal the Cat 5e cable.
Regards
Edwin

Imho, wherever you put the router/ONT does not affect convenience or ease of firmware upgrades. It's all done via the network, so it's not like their physical location or proximity with other things matter.

However, it does make troubleshooting easier when active devices are kept together. E.g. when you need to reboot, try different ports, change cable, connect another device for testing, etc.

noobiee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys,

where to get cat6 lan cable 30m? as cheap as possible

i know ebay selling but only flat cable is available

or cat5e is good enough?

for fibre 300mbps singtel

Last edited:

Firestone

Reaction score
Anyone knows what are the cables used by Singtel when they install the Ethernet cable for you?

Will there be any decrease in ping for games if I change the cable?

dRu1D

Reaction score
guys,

where to get cat6 lan cable 30m? as cheap as possible

i know ebay selling but only flat cable is available

or cat5e is good enough?

for fibre 300mbps singtel

Hi,I am buying this cat6 cable U/FTP shielded in 100M but I will need only 60M for my HDB resale flat.This cable is such that the 4 pairs of wire is individually shielded.100M=SGD120

(Cat6 Cable - U/FTP)

My advise is to use cable with some shielding wherever possible to get highest speed and data integrity. Power lines might induce EMI interference to the signal which results in signal attenuation and noise.

Twisted pair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doing my laying up of structured data cabling.Can terminate for you as well as cable test.Where are you located?I am in Tampines... can whatsapp me 9189 4548:s22:

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.