HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Notebook Processor] Intel vs AMD ?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #1

[Notebook Processor] Intel vs AMD ?

Just received a new company laptop that has an AMD Processor...

Last time I used a PC with AMD was in early 90s!

How's AMD now? Year 2020, have noticed that some laptops are cheaper because their using AMD processors...

Would you recommend an AMD powered laptop if I plan to use the device for 5+ years?
iceman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #2

Hopefully u got the 4000s series processor. They are actually more bang for buck now. In terms of speed and efficiency they have surpass intel in most areas. Pros here can add more.

From what i see people are still stuck with "intel is the best" or "never heard of AMD" mindset. Both has their pros and cons i believe, you can read more reviews online.

Anyway its a company issued laptop so should have good warranty coverage ba
x3nor_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Yes. Why not? They have not been battling for a long time with Intel. But they have come back since 3 years ago in the desktop cpu department.

And finally with a 7nm die shrink, they managed to blow intel out of the performance park in the current laptop line up. They also managed to improve IPC performance for single threaded workload to match up Intels counterpart.

Each laptop cpu segment they introduced, intel is no where near in performance.

Such as 4600U segment has 6 cores 12 threads. Intel U series only have up to 4 cores 8 threads. In a way you get more value with AMD.

They also have 4700U which is an 8 cores 8 threads. Making it a multicore beast. And again intel has nothing to match this level of performance for now.

As for the gaming laptop series. They have the 4600H 4700H 4800H 4900H.

4600H is a direct comparisons to intel i7 10750H. No doubt 10750H is a tiny bit faster than 4600H due to clocks speed. But the problem with Intel 10th Gen especially the H series tend to heat up too fast and reach throttle speed during loads. Hence the 4600H with lesser power draw and lesser heat output, they tend to outperform the 10750H. Now 4600H laptop based is cheaper (except Asus G14) than most 10750H laptop.

Now they also have 4800H 4900H. Which essentially is an high performance 8 cores 16 threads cpu in a freaking laptop. And the interesting fact. Is even cheaper than intels 10750H and totally crushed it. Lol and the price is so tempting, it is not even worth considering any of the Intel 8 cores laptop based which is insanely priced and runs like a microwave and no laptop brands have ever cool it properly.
royfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wait till AMD supports TB then I'll see

😁
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Depend which model, some models the build maybe not good.
Thinkpad and etc. series are good laptops.
AMD have come a long way since Turion.

I myself have used Turion, Phenom than a series but
have not touch a Ryzen notebook yet.
Generally they are OK but most model even now
are mostly low-end or mid-range models only.

How good it is really depends what model your coy purchase.
Hmm if you are referring to the new AMD 4000 series, they are not mid or low end wor lol.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just received a new company laptop that has an AMD Processor...

Last time I used a PC with AMD was in early 90s!

How's AMD now? Year 2020, have noticed that some laptops are cheaper because their using AMD processors...

Would you recommend an AMD powered laptop if I plan to use the device for 5+ years?
Latest AMD mobile processor, i.e. 4xxx series, is vastly superior to what Intel offers is my opinion. However you need to account for the build of the laptop before making any recommendation. While they can all run on AMD processors, the build of the laptop can make or break the user experience.

As to using a laptop that last for 5+ years, it is very difficult to say. The processor may not fail, but other components on the laptop may give up first. And objectively, this has nothing to do with AMD from my opinion.

Anyway, glad to know that companies are starting to switch to AMD.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wait till AMD supports TB then I'll see

��
Thunderbolt is an Intel proprietary port, so the reason that AMD laptops don't have it is because,
1. Intel does not allow TB on AMD laptops - which is possible since that is one of the main selling point/ advantage over AMD based laptops, or,

2. Increased cost which PC makers do not want to incur since this will require additional chip from Intel

So if it is due to point 1, then I don't think you have any chance. So you will need to decide if you prefer a light laptop with more cores, or TB and sticking with Intel.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

Processor wise, I guess AMD if you really need the extra drop of juice.

For ultraportables, I'm indifferent between Ryzen 4000 and Intel Ice Lake (no comet lake for me), maybe tending towards Intel Ice Lake laptops with Thunderbolt 3 because it guarantees 2 DisplayPort 1.4 outputs to drive 2x QHD 144Hz displays.

In the near future, we will be having USB 4 and WiFi 6e (6ghz WiFi), so I guess in 5 years time what we have is obsolete even though performance wise still ok.

Like my old laptop from 2012, it has quad core processor and 8gb ram and I added SSD. Performance wise, still ok by today's standards, but battery is ****, no usb-c, no 5ghz WiFi etc.

Last edited by trenzterra; 01-07-2020 at 07:20 PM..
trenzterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #9

In short, AMD cpu performs better than Intel. More core and better battery life. The problem is finding a good laptop product that contains AMD cpu. All the top line (dells xps, Lenovo x1, hp envy etc.) use Intel instead of AMD.

The other point, as you mentioned, is AMD does not support thunderbolt. Right now, this is a disadvantage, especially if you want external Gpu or some other things that need tb.

I'm looking to get a new laptop. I love to get amd but more laptop models use Intel..so I may have to settle for it.

I like to do a bit of gaming too. TB to use eGPU is a plus point for me when a few years down the line the laptop gpu becomes obsolete.

Right now, Intel 9th Gen and 10th Gen has little diff. Same battery life and maybe two more cores. Not a game changer per say.
ckctam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

RE

Thunderbolt is an Intel proprietary port, so the reason that AMD laptops don't have it is because,
1. Intel does not allow TB on AMD laptops - which is possible since that is one of the main selling point/ advantage over AMD based laptops, or,

2. Increased cost which PC makers do not want to incur since this will require additional chip from Intel

So if it is due to point 1, then I don't think you have any chance. So you will need to decide if you prefer a light laptop with more cores, or TB and sticking with Intel.
Read here lah

Intel Finally Certified an AMD Thunderbolt Motherboard: Here's Why That Matters (Updated)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...fication-intel
Tucksoon likes this.
Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

TB no longer just for Intel based. On desktop segment there are AMD boards with thunderbolt options. For laptop it depends on the OEM to implement them.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:58 PM   #12

TB no longer just for Intel based. On desktop segment there are AMD boards with thunderbolt options. For laptop it depends on the OEM to implement them.
The problem is no oem is providing Tb3 w amd laptops.
ckctam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
High Supremacy Member

The problem is no oem is providing Tb3 w amd laptops.
They will eventually. Especially brands like Giga, msi, asus. They are the ones that produces great gaming laptops. I am sure they will think of TB options soon.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Read here lah

Intel Finally Certified an AMD Thunderbolt Motherboard: Here's Why That Matters (Updated)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...fication-intel
This is more for desktop board right? So far has not seen on laptop yet. May ne need to wait a while.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually might as well wait for usb4 which is basically the open standard of tb3...
trenzterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.