HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Review] MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF notebook review: Copper-accented gaming beauty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Bot Administrator: PMs cannot be received by this account

[Review] MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF notebook review: Copper-accented gaming beauty

MSI's GS65 Stealth Thin 8RF falls into a burgeoning category of thin, light, and powerful notebooks that is continuing to redefine traditional expectations of a gaming laptop. Can it hold up to stiffer competition seen this year? We find out.

RATINGS
  • Design : 8
  • Features : 8.5
  • Performance : 8.5
  • Value : 8
  • Mobility : 8.5

THE GOOD
  • Excellent 144Hz IPS-type panel
  • Attractive design
  • Thin, light, and has decent battery life
  • Windows Precision Touchpad

THE BAD
  • Chassis flex in some places
  • Expensive
  • No SD card slot

View full story here...

Note 2: Should you need to reach out to someone in charge, please start a discussion topic in the Online Membership/Feedback Forum.
HWZ Editorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #2

HWZ reviews on laptops are goddamn BS in the tests they do. Would take everything they say in the review with a pinch of salt.
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Administrator

Would you care to elaborate?

HWZ reviews on laptops are goddamn BS in the tests they do. Would take everything they say in the review with a pinch of salt.
Old 29-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #4

Would you care to elaborate?
Sure.

Lets take a look at a recent review your team(I'm assuming you took part in these reviews since you're being so defensive here) did: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revi...-portability-7

YOUR TEAM'S SCORES for '40' loops of 3Dmark Extreme:

Razer Blade 15 2018 with 1070 Max Q: 75 Degrees
Prime-15 1070 Max Q : 80 Degrees

REALITY(based on HWZ user feedback and user reviews online plus the fact that i own a Prime 15 1060 myself):

Razer Blade 15 with a weaker 1060 known to hit 85-90 degrees on full gaming load/3D mark. Even has throttling issues on both 1060 and 1070 variants(which you didnt bother mentioning either, huehue)

Prime-15 equally hot, hits 85-90 degrees under load. My own Prime-15 with a weaker 1060 runs at 87 Degrees on Witcher 3 Ultra, and 88-89 degrees on 3Dmark. Aftershock techs have told me THAT RANGE is NORMAL for this kind of laptops. So your team is telling me your Prime 15 with a heavier 1070 chip can acheive the ungodly 80 degrees under load?

So tell me, which magical fairytale land didja get your review units from? Or rather, why dont you tell me yall simply ran maplestory on the units and called it a day OR you ran the tests in a fridge LOL

Like I said, your 'tests'. Best taken with a massive spoonful of salt.

Last edited by narkizy; 29-09-2018 at 11:55 AM..
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Administrator

It's good to hear user inputs too like yours.
This response is more insightful than your one-liner "BS" line just because your findings don't match ours directly.

That's why there are several review sites and a forum like ours for users to share more personal findings too - to gather more viewpoints.

Could the difference be our office operating environment? It's air-conditioned so it's normally in the low 20s. This might be the differentiating factor.

I believe the notebooks would throttle if they reach such high temps as you pointed, but as can be seen, we're far from hitting critical temps. And no, we really aren't faking anything - our name is on the line, and so is our brand. Editorial integrity is extremely core to us and we will not misinform our readers.

What we report is what we've tested.

Sure.

Lets take a look at a recent review your team(I'm assuming you took part in these reviews since you're being so defensive here) did: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revi...-portability-7

YOUR TEAM'S SCORES for '40' loops of 3Dmark Extreme:

Razer Blade 15 2018 with 1070 Max Q: 75 Degrees
Prime-15 1070 Max Q : 80 Degrees

REALITY(based on HWZ user feedback and user reviews online plus the fact that i own a Prime 15 1060 myself):

Razer Blade 15 with a weaker 1060 known to hit 85-90 degrees on full gaming load/3D mark. Even has throttling issues on both 1060 and 1070 variants(which you didnt bother mentioning either, huehue)

Prime-15 equally hot, hits 85-90 degrees under load. My own Prime-15 with a weaker 1060 runs at 87 Degrees on Witcher 3 Ultra, and 88-89 degrees on 3Dmark. Aftershock techs have told me THAT RANGE is NORMAL for this kind of laptops. So your team is telling me your Prime 15 with a heavier 1070 chip can acheive the ungodly 80 degrees under load?

So tell me, which magical fairytale land didja get your review units from? Or rather, why dont you tell me yall simply ran maplestory on the units and called it a day OR you ran the tests in a fridge LOL

Like I said, your 'tests'. Best taken with a massive spoonful of salt.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.