Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cscs3
  • 1 Post By Aljw515
  • 1 Post By chaiscool
  • 1 Post By cscs3

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #1

[URGENT] Acer vs Lenovo ultrabook

I'm looking for an ultrabook to bring along on my photography trips for backup and light editing, and finally more brands have launched their ice lake models in time for 11.11 sales. The laptop will also be used for my exams overseas next year so comfort in typing long essays in addition to portability is important.

Initially I was eyeing the Dell XPS 13, but it's expensive.

I've found the Lenovo Yoga S740 (14) and the new Acer Swift 5 both suit my needs with identical specs and roughly the same price after discounts. The differences spec wise would be that the Acer is much lighter at 998g vs 1.4kg, but the Lenovo has a brighter screen at 500 units vs 287. It's weight vs screen so roughly neck to neck for me.

What would help me decide is general build quality impressions between the brands as well as after sales support. China brand vs Taiwan brand. I've used Acer laptops before and my impression is generally not bad, but that was years ago. Anyone can share experiences with both brands?

I need to buy today or tomorrow to catch the sales price.

Thank you!
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

I'm looking for an ultrabook to bring along on my photography trips for backup and light editing, and finally more brands have launched their ice lake models in time for 11.11 sales. The laptop will also be used for my exams overseas next year so comfort in typing long essays in addition to portability is important.

I've found the Lenovo Yoga S740 (14) and the new Acer Swift 5 both suit my needs with identical specs and roughly the same price after discounts. The differences spec wise would be that the Acer is much lighter at 998g vs 1.4kg, but the Lenovo has a brighter screen at 500 units vs 287. It's weight vs screen so roughly neck to neck for me.

What would help me decide is general build quality impressions between the brands as well as after sales support. China brand vs Taiwan brand. I've used Acer laptops before and my impression is generally not bad, but that was years ago. Anyone can share experiences with both brands?

Thank you!
Would be nice if u can sic the links

Yoga might have issue with durability
happi3friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anytime Acer for better battery life.
Lenovo can only take the ThinkPad series.
illumnae likes this.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

Thank you!
Would recommend looking at lenovo thinkpads. Their build quality is quite solid. Most of the recent models can churn out 400nits at base specs if i am not wrong.

As for lenovo or acer, lenovo warranty support is worldwide and onsite. I only heard people saying to stay away from acer, but i believe they are referring to lower-tier laptops, unlike the swift 5, which really does seem good. No idea about acer warranty.
illumnae likes this.
Aljw515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #5

Stay away swift 5, battery life after 6 months fully charged can last for 3 hours only.

Acer fan too loud to compare for Lenovo.

If planing for Long usage should not concern about weight.
obichacha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #6

Would recommend looking at lenovo thinkpads. Their build quality is quite solid. Most of the recent models can churn out 400nits at base specs if i am not wrong.

As for lenovo or acer, lenovo warranty support is worldwide and onsite. I only heard people saying to stay away from acer, but i believe they are referring to lower-tier laptops, unlike the swift 5, which really does seem good. No idea about acer warranty.
with regards to build quality, are you referring to thinkpad T series and above?

I saw reviews about thinkpad E series being really lousy

which is why im hesitating to buy this 11
happi3friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Should try the new model E14 or E15

with regards to build quality, are you referring to thinkpad T series and above?

I saw reviews about thinkpad E series being really lousy

which is why im hesitating to buy this 11
obichacha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #8

I was referring to their x or t series lineup, which i think is well-within your budget. Maybe go for the amd lineup, such as the x395 or t495s.
Aljw515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #9

Asus zenbook, 1.1kg and bright screen. Ux433fn / ux434fl. Or cheaper one is ux431fl
illumnae likes this.

Last edited by chaiscool; 10-11-2019 at 10:21 PM..
chaiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Asus zenbook, 1.1kg and bright screen. Ux433fn / ux434fl. Or cheaper one is ux431fl
Nice notebook but never a reliable. Long time ASUS user before.
After sales services is super bad.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:10 AM   #11

Thanks everyone for your advice! I went down Funan today and ended up getting the Acer. Hands on inspected the 2 I mentioned plus Dell and Asus ultrabooks and after weighing all options it was still a close fight between the Acer and the Lenovo. The 4k 500 nits screen on the Lenovo was really beautiful and imo even better than Dell, so I almost went ahead to buy it. However ultimately the new Swift 5 was really super light without feeling flimsy (the 2018 model felt flimsy to me, so Acer upped their game this year) plus despite the lousier HD screen, it was touch enabled unlike the Lenovo, so that touch screen tipped the balance for me in terms of value. The Acer was a super new release too so it felt good getting something so new as well

Hope I don't regret my purchase!
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks everyone for your advice! I went down Funan today and ended up getting the Acer. Hands on inspected the 2 I mentioned plus Dell and Asus ultrabooks and after weighing all options it was still a close fight between the Acer and the Lenovo. The 4k 500 nits screen on the Lenovo was really beautiful and imo even better than Dell, so I almost went ahead to buy it. However ultimately the new Swift 5 was really super light without feeling flimsy (the 2018 model felt flimsy to me, so Acer upped their game this year) plus despite the lousier HD screen, it was touch enabled unlike the Lenovo, so that touch screen tipped the balance for me in terms of value. The Acer was a super new release too so it felt good getting something so new as well

Hope I don't regret my purchase!
Is a good choice. Battery life is good too.
illumnae likes this.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #13

Stay away swift 5, battery life after 6 months fully charged can last for 3 hours only.

Acer fan too loud to compare for Lenovo.

If planing for Long usage should not concern about weight.
Never happen to me. You either has a bad battery or always charge battery before it runs low.
limpingsim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

Never happen to me. You either has a bad battery or always charge battery before it runs low.
similar experience.

my battery after more than 1 year still can last a good 8-10hrs. Swift 3.
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.