HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[WIN 10?] Transplanting an actively-used laptopís HDD to another of exact same model?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
Master Member

You have to boot from another operating system to remove the tokens offline. If you don't know how to do this then it is better to assume it cannot be done.

System tokens are not the same as hard-coded OEM licenses, which is a common feature of Windows 10.

Removing the system token does not free up an OEM license. It is non-transferrable.
Old 17-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
High Supremacy Member

System tokens are not the same as hard-coded OEM licenses, which is a common feature of Windows 10.

Removing the system token does not free up an OEM license. It is non-transferrable.
Okay whatever
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

Okay maybe if I rephrase it (slightly? Pretty sure it means the same thing actually) ...

What we want to do is ...

- Take out HDD from Laptop #1,
- Put Laptop #1ís HDD in Laptop #2,
- Get the Windows 10 in abovementioned HDD to forget itís registered to Laptop #1ís licence
- Re-register the Windows 10 in abovementioned HDD to Laptop #2ís licence instead

... without having to reinstall Windows and any of the programs currently already in Laptop #1ís HDD,

Possible? Not possible?
Even if you have successfully reinstall Windows on license issue, then again how about software & subscription which may be tie to machine itself.

Copying and transfer to data via other means would be made easy and if software & subscription could be transfer too then it would much better.

Not forgetting transportation of internal HDD and there may have possibility of damage.
Once damaged the important/valuable data & whatever inside would be useless.
Unlike buying of HDD where it is brand new and able to replace if damage.

Suggest to have a clone/backup of the HDD before physically moving.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.