• 1 Post By sendtolee
  • 1 Post By jas1701
  • 1 Post By tcltcleo
  • 1 Post By tcltcleo
  • 1 Post By tcltcleo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #1

Acer wireless adapter Qualcomm Atheros AR956x

I recently upgraded my fibre broadband to 1.0Gbps but my Acer notebook with Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter is unable to locate the singnet id for 5.0ghz but can connect to singtel id for 2.4ghz without problem though the speed is really slow at 72.2mbps.

The singtel technican came to check and claim the network card Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter does not support 5G, this is true?

Another laptop running on Intel Dual Band N-7260 wireless card is able to detect and connect to my singtel id 5.0ghz without problem though the connection speed is only about 150-250 mbps.

Appreciate if you can advise if Atheros AR956x wireless card don't work on 5G network? Any recommendation if i need to upgrade the network card.

Thank you.

Regards/Leo
~Dragonite~ likes this.
tcltcleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Master Member

If it is a dual band adaptor, it will auto detect both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
jas1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

The singtel technician is right.

~Dragonite~ likes this.
Ramtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Some cards, even fairly new machines do not support the 5ghz wifi spectrum.

I believe that is the case for your card. It is more of a wifi card limitation which can be resolved by swapping it for maybe like what you have mentioned the fairly popular 7260 by intel for instance.

Before you do it however, it is best to check the size of the card (since there are various sizes). Also check if your bios supports them since certain makes of laptops have a white list of a limited range of approved cards while some accept any.

For instance this. Dont worry about the number of antenna connectors, if u see 3 connector pts but only have 2 connectors, you can forgo the 3rd and still have it work.

Next up, check if Bluetooth is integrated in the wifi card as well. If it is, would you be willing to forgo bluetooth functionality? Or purchase one with bluetooth and wifi
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
High Supremacy Member

Some cards, even fairly new machines do not support the 5ghz wifi spectrum.

I believe that is the case for your card. It is more of a wifi card limitation which can be resolved by swapping it for maybe like what you have mentioned the fairly popular 7260 by intel for instance.

Before you do it however, it is best to check the size of the card (since there are various sizes). Also check if your bios supports them since certain makes of laptops have a white list of a limited range of approved cards while some accept any.

For instance this. Dont worry about the number of antenna connectors, if u see 3 connector pts but only have 2 connectors, you can forgo the 3rd and still have it work.

Next up, check if Bluetooth is integrated in the wifi card as well. If it is, would you be willing to forgo bluetooth functionality? Or purchase one with bluetooth and wifi
But TS will have to open up the laptop or bring to service centre to do if is in warranty.
Rather just get a USB AC adapter.

Another thing to take note 5GHZ only works close range, if your laptop is inside the room you may not get 5GHZ.
Another pointer to take note.
Cheers.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 22-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

likely yr card doesn't support 5ghz.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/...aptop-3608743/
~Dragonite~ likes this.
szeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #7

Good point!
Warranty.

Always assume that wty would be void if any user placement is done

Though self replacement isnt that hard

But TS will have to open up the laptop or bring to service centre to do if is in warranty.

Another thing to take note 5GHZ only works close range, if your laptop is inside the room you may not get 5GHZ.
Cheers.
techidiot and ~Dragonite~ like this.
Old 22-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #8

I recently upgraded my fibre broadband to 1.0Gbps but my Acer notebook with Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter is unable to locate the singnet id for 5.0ghz but can connect to singtel id for 2.4ghz without problem though the speed is really slow at 72.2mbps.

The singtel technican came to check and claim the network card Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter does not support 5G, this is true?

Another laptop running on Intel Dual Band N-7260 wireless card is able to detect and connect to my singtel id 5.0ghz without problem though the connection speed is only about 150-250 mbps.

Appreciate if you can advise if Atheros AR956x wireless card don't work on 5G network? Any recommendation if i need to upgrade the network card.

Thank you.

Regards/Leo
This card don't support 5GHz.

If you are worried about warranty, set the 2.4G channel width to 40Mhz on your card and router. This should boost the transfer speed.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
Master Member

Best is to get a usb wireless adaptor. Price is below $40. I got my for tplink ac1200 and connected at 879mbps compare to the laptop wireless at only 72mbps. Do remember your router dual band speed. If it is 1200, get a usb wireless at 1200. It has to be the same level speed to achieve if not will fall below.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
jas1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

likely yr card doesn't support 5ghz.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/...aptop-3608743/
Thank you for yr advice, much appreciated.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #11

This card don't support 5GHz.

If you are worried about warranty, set the 2.4G channel width to 40Mhz on your card and router. This should boost the transfer speed.
Thank you for yr advice, much appreciated
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:46 PM   #12

Cheers.
Thank you for yr very detailed reply, much appreciated.
~Dragonite~ likes this.
Old 23-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #13

Best is to get a usb wireless adaptor. Price is below $40. I got my for tplink ac1200 and connected at 879mbps compare to the laptop wireless at only 72mbps. Do remember your router dual band speed. If it is 1200, get a usb wireless at 1200. It has to be the same level speed to achieve if not will fall below.
I have the same Wifi card in my Toshiba laptop and intend to buy a 802.11ac adapter as i will be using Google Wifi.

May I know what external wifi adapter should I buy to use with Google Wifi?

Thank you very much
ayeo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #14

AC1200 class. Dual band - 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.