AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

chiaRH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone has seen or know the difference between the S15 and the APEX15? is the APEX15 much slimmer then the S15? Thanks!

The apex would be slimmer because the S15 was never even designed to be one of those 'slim gaming notebooks' while laptops like the prime and apex are not only designed to be slim but the slimness is even a marketing point for the product.

chiaRH

Reaction score
would be quite sad if the S15 is really gone, it was aftershock's main competitor to the MSI GE63 Raider and Asus Strix GL-502

that means now if anyone wants a full 1070 (not max-q) in a 15 inch form factor, that option is no longer available to them because only the desktop replacements will have the 1070 now. Even the W-15 lite dont have a 1070 (at least not yet)

still, the departure of the S15 and S17 was quite forseen for some time now. with luck clevo will have some new stuff for computex next month

Last edited:

chiaRH

Reaction score
Anyone with the MX15 pro new model? Is the fan noise as noisy as P15?

not sure how people can answer this unless they owned both a Prime 15 and MX 15 and really A/B test the noise

fan noise is very subjective, to assess your own personal tolerance it's recommended to go to the showroom and ask them to run a gaming workload on the laptop model so you can hear the noise

Have to remember the Prime 15 was largely singled out in the past because it had some bios issue that resulted in very aggressive fan ramping up. there arent really any major fan noise complaints for any other clevo model at the moment.

fucitol

Reaction score
Anyone with a P-13 getting the security processor (TPM) firmware update warning from windows? Does Aftershock provide updates for this?

alvinym

Reaction score
Anyone with a P-13 getting the security processor (TPM) firmware update warning from windows? Does Aftershock provide updates for this?

Same here with prime15, at the same time, my trend micro protection is automatically disabled too... weird.

Dolcefarniente

Master Member
Reaction score
Wa this is crazy. I ordered with the 144hz before it shows need end July. Hope it doesn’t affect mine
Thou my email from the sales team confirmation say 1-2 weeks.
29nusd4.jpg

narkizy

Reaction score
Wa this is crazy. I ordered with the 144hz before it shows need end July. Hope it doesn’t affect mine
Thou my email from the sales team confirmation say 1-2 weeks.
29nusd4.jpg

Best to go down or call them to personally confirm. Assumption will be your downfall, especially where a smaller boutique company like Aftershock is concerned.

Dolcefarniente

Master Member
Reaction score
lucky, their email reply was

"Please do not worry, the end July lead time is only for new orders. We are giving the people who ordered the 144hz screen for the Apex 15 their laptops before the new orders 😊"

good luck for those who ordered the 144hz after

Best to go down or call them to personally confirm. Assumption will be your downfall, especially where a smaller boutique company like Aftershock is concerned.

alvinym

Reaction score
It all depends on their warehouse stock, i was told 1 to 2 weeks last time and only able to collect on the end of 3rd week.

Though abit curious why it is "IPS/AHVA" ... but both tech is fairly similar to the naked eye.

chiaRH

Reaction score
It all depends on their warehouse stock, i was told 1 to 2 weeks last time and only able to collect on the end of 3rd week.

Though abit curious why it is "IPS/AHVA" ... but both tech is fairly similar to the naked eye.

IPS is a more generic term

AHVA is more like something developed and branded by 1 company (AUO). Samsung has something simlar which is branded PLS. I think because IPS has some sort of trademark by LG that is why alternative brand names pop up here and there

I think generally all that matters is wether the screen have bad viewing angles or not

Dolcefarniente

Master Member
Reaction score
How nice! They called me today and say the laptop had arrived but the 144hz screen was tested with defects. Need to wait till early July then can have it. But they will lent a 60hz screen for me to run first.. saded

loneranger87

Reaction score
How nice! They called me today and say the laptop had arrived but the 144hz screen was tested with defects. Need to wait till early July then can have it. But they will lent a 60hz screen for me to run first.. saded
Thats nice of them. Let us know if the laptop worth to buy.

xdammy

Reaction score
Oh damn I ordered the 144hz one as well (expecting mine in 2-3 weeks). Do keep us posted on your apex after using it for awhile! I haven't gotten any notification about the early July delay though...yikes.

aloysious

Reaction score
Is the Prime 15 really that bad?

Been using the Prime 15 since Sept 2017. Couple of issues to note for those planning to buy this model:

TLDR: Fan noise even on idle still a huge issue, temps are below average, random freezing. Slim and light yes, but performance and usability suffers a fair bit. Mine can't seem to even handle normal workloads without heating up a fair bit.

1) Fan speed/noise -
Plugged in: Brought it in for a bios flash, didn't change much. Fan speed on idle while plugged in is still incredibly noisy, no idea why. Temps on idle are normal but the fan toggles on HARD regardless. Still only two fan modes when plugged in - FAST and VERY FAST, can be very embarrassing especially when working in quiet places

Unplugged: Fans are still incredibly loud, even under tiny loads like running IDEs+Chrome.

2) CPU/GPU Temps -
a)Idle/small load:
Plugged in, CPU temps range from 55-60 degs. nothing much to complain about.

b)Normal workload(ie. chrome + virtualbox running Ubuntu or IDEs+Chrome running simultaneously):
Temps can hit pretty high at 72-75 Degs on the CPU if i don't elevate the laptop, pretty disappointing. Laptop gets pretty warm but not hot. Fan noise can be pretty annoying, especially when my colleague's MacBook Pro can run the same workload smoothly with practically NO fan noise and much less heat.

c)Under heavy load, NO elevation:
Running intensive games such as Fallout4, Witcher 3, are simply impossible to run on this laptop without elevation. Recorded GPU temps of up to 87 degs and rising, laptop becomes uncomfortably hot. Low-demand games like League, DOTA pushed the CPU temps to 75 degs.

d)Temps when elevated under heavy load:
Alot better, at 75+ degs on GPU, 60+ degs on CPU.
I'd assume its a design flaw on the part of Clevo and the emphasis on the slim form factor meant air intake for cooling is hampered greatly. The fact though, that I have to elevate this laptop to obtain a comfortable experience is kind of a bummer.

3) The whole laptop tends to freeze randomly for 1-2 seconds each time ie. cursor, input, video all freeze. Probably gonna have to bring in to aftershock to have it checked out

Hi all,

Tried researching for an ideal travel laptop that allows me to do video/photo editing with photoshop & lightroom (professionally) and the usual browsing/blogging and office software usage. I am considering in the fields of portability, reliability and speed. I need something fast and powerful enough. I don't want to game on the laptop so it need not be a gaming laptop.

I narrowed down to the following laptops:

Aftershock Prime 15

First impression of this laptop is that it is portable, powerful with a decent screen. Though it is not ideal for photo/video editing but it is pretty decent. Anyway most graphic work require an external monitor. However having seen the above review, it kind of put me away because I want a reliable system. I am moving around quite frequently so I don't want a system that I must constantly try to fix (not that I cannot fix, just time-consuming and mind-bugging).

Macbook Pro 15 Inch with TouchBar

Powerful and portable. Screen is perfect for on the go photo/video editing (still not the best, can't beat a powerful external monitor). But super pricey and kind of out-dated hardware (price/value and hardware don't go well). Apple's OS is amazing and smooth. Turn off factor would be the ports. Also, Thunderbolt 3's and SSD are amazing fast but the need to get adaptors for SD-cards are a huge turn off and not forgetting it adds on to the weight. One good point is the warranty of apple laptops, they are international :) but still the price.. :/

Other laptops I considered are the Microsoft Surface Book 2, Dell XPS 13 and 15 Inch, Lenovo X1 Carbon. I am spoilt for choices and I have no idea which system to go. All of them lack here and there. Need the expert advices from you all. I really liked the Prime 15 and I am about to head down to the PC show later to confirm my order but having read this thread, I think I better put it on hold first. I have a budget of about 3.5k for the laptop.

Hope to hear from you all soon.
:)

Thinker

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have both Prime 15 and the MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar. If that's your requirement, then the MacBook Pro it is. It feels so much better for productivity use and some light gaming.

Dongle-wise, it's not a problem. I've only used 1 (the official Apple HDMI-USB adapter), and it's weightless.

aloysious

Reaction score
I have both Prime 15 and the MacBook Pro 15 with Touch Bar. If that's your requirement, then the MacBook Pro it is. It feels so much better for productivity use and some light gaming.

Dongle-wise, it's not a problem. I've only used 1 (the official Apple HDMI-USB adapter), and it's weightless.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Hmmm, the only reason I do not want to go with Apple is the price, my configuration makes up to 4.8k :/

In your opinion, are there any other laptops out there that suits my criteria? Say Dell XPS 15 (2018)?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.