HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #4936

One thing I'm sure is that the chassis bases for APEX 15 and APEX 17 aren't the same. APEX 15 is based on the Tongfang Z2 while the APEX 17 is based on the newly-launched X8Ti-plus (with a modified keyboard), cause the design is pretty much different despite them from the same series.
i havent been up to date so i checked notebookreview

naming convention-wise by tongfang, GK7xxxx model series should be the new 17 inch, while GK5xxxx are the 15 inch that served as the Apex 15 both being tongfang produced

z2 and x8ti are the unit names used by mechrevo the chinese gaming laptop brand which also uses these tongfang chassis

so far tongfang looks promising and its about time the market had something other than clevo for custom laptop builders to use. The speed at which a 'brown keyboard' option was offered in response to the negative feedback to the 'blue switch' keys gives me hope that the OEM can adjust to user feedback swiftly.

And compared to the Prime, the Apex actually does look like it has more cooling headroom with the quad vents, albeit at the tradeoff of having less I/O connectivity

Now just need to wait 1 more year for Turing refresh to see if the Apex can keep up the momentum of a solid gaming laptop
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #4937

i havent been up to date so i checked notebookreview

naming convention-wise by tongfang, GK7xxxx model series should be the new 17 inch, while GK5xxxx are the 15 inch that served as the Apex 15 both being tongfang produced

z2 and x8ti are the unit names used by mechrevo the chinese gaming laptop brand which also uses these tongfang chassis

so far tongfang looks promising and its about time the market had something other than clevo for custom laptop builders to use. The speed at which a 'brown keyboard' option was offered in response to the negative feedback to the 'blue switch' keys gives me hope that the OEM can adjust to user feedback swiftly.

And compared to the Prime, the Apex actually does look like it has more cooling headroom with the quad vents, albeit at the tradeoff of having less I/O connectivity

Now just need to wait 1 more year for Turing refresh to see if the Apex can keep up the momentum of a solid gaming laptop
Agreed with this. My bet would be on the Apex model as well. By right it can cool the 1070 Max Q even better than the Prime 15, but if they did so they'd pretty much make the Prime series obselete.
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 04:41 AM   #4938

Been using the p15 for about a year now.

I noticed that my cpu fan are making more noise than usual compared to my gpu fans. I opened the case and the fans was less "smooth" compared to my gpu fans.

Any aftershock team can advice if it is possible to just change it at aftershock even though it's working?

Sent from Samsung SM-G950F using GAGT
Lolerla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #4939

I noticed that my cpu fan are making more noise than usual compared to my gpu fans. I opened the case and the fans was less "smooth" compared to my gpu fans.

Any aftershock team can advice if it is possible to just change it at aftershock even though it's working?

I don't think there's any Aftershock team on this thread. You should just send them an email or call them up.
The ball bearings in the fans may be starting to fail.
Psycovirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #4940

Best bet is to bring it down to Aftershock HQ and talk to the techs themselves and see if they agree with you. From my experience they're very flexible and changing fans shouldnt be an issue
Old 01-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #4941

Caught a glimpse of the Apex 17 at suntec IT show, it has a sort of weird keyboard with chamfered corners, different from the Apex 15 style

I think design wise the total lack of USB 3.0 on the left (there’s only 1 USB 2.0 there) might be an annoyance to those who wanna plug in storage devices. Hopefully a future version can be all usb 3.0
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #4942
High Supremacy Member

anyone has issues with their audio volume?

mine is super low even when level is at max
K|muRa^84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #4943

seems like aftershock laptops constantly has heating issue?
Aresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #4944

how's the battery life for aftershock laptop?

heard the APEX-15 can only last 2hrs under normal usage
HolyInnocents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #4945

seems like aftershock laptops constantly has heating issue?
Which model? To my knowledge the only model that has trouble with cooling properly is the Prime 15. The Apex series has excellent cooling, and I've never heard of a MX series user complain about heating issues. That's a pretty sweeping statement that you're making.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #4946

As with most gaming laptops across all brands: Bad. My P-15 gets about 4 hours on normal usage, you probably heard wrong about the Apex-15. Its battery life is about 4+ hours too.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:08 AM   #4947

As with most gaming laptops across all brands: Bad. My P-15 gets about 4 hours on normal usage, you probably heard wrong about the Apex-15. Its battery life is about 4+ hours too.
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/revi...-portability-7

here say apex-15 only 148mins....Prime 15 138mins...

how to survive with only 2hrs of battery sia. somemore normal usage
Old 11-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #4948

anyone has issues with their audio volume?

mine is super low even when level is at max
My Apex 15 has ok volume but when the fans kick in during gaming, the speakers aren't loud enough to overcome the fans.

Measured around 79dbA at 100% volume. Context, Mobile phones at max ring volume is around 78dbA to 80dbA.

I have been using Apex 15 for past 3 months. On battery, watching youtube or surfing web at like 40% brightness, I get about 2.5 hours. I do have Throttlestop running always with -125mv on core and -50 on intel IGPU.

In the end, my laptop is plugged in 90% of the time due to gaming on it.

That helps a lot.

Last edited by Psycovirus; 11-11-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Old 11-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #4949

My Apex 15 has ok volume but when the fans kick in during gaming, the speakers aren't loud enough to overcome the fans.

Measured around 79dbA at 100% volume. Context, Mobile phones at max ring volume is around 78dbA to 80dbA.

I have been using Apex 15 for past 3 months. On battery, watching youtube or surfing web at like 40% brightness, I get about 2.5 hours. I do have Throttlestop running always with -125mv on core and -50 on intel IGPU.

In the end, my laptop is plugged in 90% of the time due to gaming on it.

That helps a lot.
why does gaming laptop drains so much battery ah? cos of gpu and fan? can those be switched off to conserve battery?
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #4950

why does gaming laptop drains so much battery ah? cos of gpu and fan? can those be switched off to conserve battery?
A few things,

Firstly, Apex 15 has a small battery. 43Wh. In contrast, Dell XPS 15 has a 97Wh version which last 7 hours+.

Next is the processor. It is a high TDP chip. i7-8750H is a 45 Watts TDP chip so it can boost up to 4 Ghz on all 6 cores. That draws a lot of power. Ultrabook chips are of U variant. Ultralow-voltage. Like i7-8550U, which is only a 4 core chip with TDP rating up to 15 Watts.

Since Apex has high TDP chip, it must have big fans for active cooling. Most ultrabooks has tiny fans and some don't even spin unless required.

Apex has Nvidia Optimus tech built in, so the GTX 1060 doesn't work when no 3D tasks are running thus not drawing any power. The built-in iGPU inside intel processor handles the desktop.

Also, to save battery, use 60Hz instead of 144Hz for the screen during battery mode.
Also, switch off LED on the keyboard. Put to Battery Saver mode to reduce the CPU from turbo-boosting up to 4GHz..

That should squeeze more out of the battery... haha
HolyInnocents likes this.

Last edited by Psycovirus; 11-11-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.