HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #5101

Why would i not compare?

Just like why people compare the price of SSD locally and overseas.
There is no point to compare with overseas price unless you as a buyer genuinely intend to consider buying overseas as an option. For example nobody in singapore is going to care that a big mac is cheaper in malaysia as they would never make the effort to go to johor purely just to eat mcdonalds.

Get a clevo laptop from overseas, no local warranty/servicing, just to save some hundred bucks... up to you as customer to weigh the pros and cons

I personally wouldnt be too worried about lack of warranty on something small like a SSD. But I have owned 3 gaming laptops and all 3 of them have needed servicing at one point or another.

...and if I need to send my clevo back to Sager for warranty support then somebody will compare how easier the support would have been if my clevo had an aftershock logo on it and the servicing was just a MRT ride away

Last edited by chiaRH; 09-04-2019 at 11:05 AM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #5102
High Supremacy Member

I personally wouldnt be too worried about lack of warranty on something small like a SSD. But I have owned 3 gaming laptops and all 3 of them have needed servicing at one point or another.
what kind of servicing do you need for laptop?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #5103

sadly more than I would like to have

my history so far:

Asus G73
- motherboard fail
- GPU overheat (gave up on Asus service as they didnt repaste, did a DIY repaste in the end)
- keyboard replacement

Aftershock X15
- GPU fail (675M, unable to replace as GPU model reach end of life)
- keyboard replacement (one key stopped working)
- webcam replacement

Aftershock S17 (my current machine)
- display replacement (this was on Day 2 of ownership, the screen had those yellowy border edges, not a good start)
- keyboard replacement (LED problem)
- RAM replacement (faulty, was causing BSOD)
- GPU overheat (unsolvable according to aftershock, had to DIY undervolt whcih I maintain till this day)
NMSS_2 likes this.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #5104
High Supremacy Member

sadly more than I would like to have

my history so far:

Asus G73
- motherboard fail
- GPU overheat (gave up on Asus service as they didnt repaste, did a DIY repaste in the end)
- keyboard replacement

Aftershock X15
- GPU fail (675M, unable to replace as GPU model reach end of life)
- keyboard replacement (one key stopped working)
- webcam replacement

Aftershock S17 (my current machine)
- display replacement (this was on Day 2 of ownership, the screen had those yellowy border edges, not a good start)
- keyboard replacement (LED problem)
- RAM replacement (faulty, was causing BSOD)
- GPU overheat (unsolvable according to aftershock, had to DIY undervolt whcih I maintain till this day)
holycow. that was quite a lot of issues.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #5105

Hardware defects.
crapp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #5106
High Supremacy Member

Hardware defects.
thanks captain obvious

i dont have much laptops and they usually karput after warranty period so i have to ask the type of servicing that one would expect within the warranty. One could get cheaper alternatives from overseas instead of local if that is usually the case.

My older laptop probably died from heat issues (gfx issue after warranty) which is why my new laptop (matebook x pro) from amazon was now "enhanced" with tons of thermal pads/paste/glue/copper shims (>$60). The heat from it was pretty bad from the bad heatsink fan design (was 90c when max, now 65c max). Motherboard and keyboard issues is not usually expected within warranty but seems like shiet do happen based on chiaRH reply.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 PM   #5107

Motherboard and keyboard issues is not usually expected within warranty but seems like shiet do happen based on chiaRH reply.
sometimes it's just a matter of whether you're lucky or not

and if you look at the world today, theres plenty of bad luck to go around. 3 generations of macbooks with butterfly keyboard problem, those who follow Dell news know about that bios GPU problem on the XPS recently, Asus strix owners know about that wattage-gate where the supplied PSU isnt enough to power the machine when gaming...
Old 10-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #5108
High Supremacy Member

and if you look at the world today, theres plenty of bad luck to go around. 3 generations of macbooks with butterfly keyboard problem, those who follow Dell news know about that bios GPU problem on the XPS recently, Asus strix owners know about that wattage-gate where the supplied PSU isnt enough to power the machine when gaming...
Not many of us would go into the trouble of looking for a specific model issues as there might be a myriad of laptops to select from. I did my research and didnt encounter my laptop specified issues. However, heat (i didnt check the internals HSF design enough) and the heavy power consumption(didnt use power hungry programs before in laptops) was totally unexpected. If i knew the outcome of such, i could have gone toward using a proper gaming laptop instead of portable since the power draw is similar when using such programs and the design of the HSF is generally better.

But motherboard failure could easily affect anyone. One primary reason could be the QC of the company. I think i would consider looking for others' feedback on servicing to check on their quality standards and whether it is worthwhile getting it locally for warranty.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #5109

thanks captain obvious

i dont have much laptops and they usually karput after warranty period so i have to ask the type of servicing that one would expect within the warranty. One could get cheaper alternatives from overseas instead of local if that is usually the case.

My older laptop probably died from heat issues (gfx issue after warranty) which is why my new laptop (matebook x pro) from amazon was now "enhanced" with tons of thermal pads/paste/glue/copper shims (>$60). The heat from it was pretty bad from the bad heatsink fan design (was 90c when max, now 65c max). Motherboard and keyboard issues is not usually expected within warranty but seems like shiet do happen based on chiaRH reply.
You asked for an obvious question, so you got an obvious answer, what did you expect?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:43 AM   #5110

I wonder if its an issue or not with my nova 15, ive noticed that whenever i try to start up my laptop with the battery removed, it wont boot to windows on the first startup, it will just get stucked at the aftershock logo.

Its only after i restart it after that point, then it will boot up with no issues at all.

Not sure if the issue is because i removed the removable battery and just ran the laptop purely from power adapter without the battery installed.
Old 10-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #5111
High Supremacy Member

You asked for an obvious question, so you got an obvious answer, what did you expect?
Since when do laptop companies service softwares? obviously the question is directed at hardware servicing. If i am going to ask what fruit is that, your answer is akin to that is a fruit.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #5112

Since when do laptop companies service softwares? obviously the question is directed at hardware servicing. If i am going to ask what fruit is that, your answer is akin to that is a fruit.
Servicing for PC's general entail hardware, when did you say about "software"? Obviously not from your previous question.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #5113
High Supremacy Member

Servicing for PC's general entail hardware, when did you say about "software"? Obviously not from your previous question.
i guess software could be part of the question since i was asking a generic question.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #5114

Not many of us would go into the trouble of looking for a specific model issues as there might be a myriad of laptops to select from. I did my research and didnt encounter my laptop specified issues. However, heat (i didnt check the internals HSF design enough) and the heavy power consumption(didnt use power hungry programs before in laptops) was totally unexpected. If i knew the outcome of such, i could have gone toward using a proper gaming laptop instead of portable since the power draw is similar when using such programs and the design of the HSF is generally better.

But motherboard failure could easily affect anyone. One primary reason could be the QC of the company. I think i would consider looking for others' feedback on servicing to check on their quality standards and whether it is worthwhile getting it locally for warranty.
yeah these things have a high degree of complexity, 1000 ways stuff can go wrong so there isnt even much point trying to due diligence on issues unless said issues are very well documented (and not everyone who has a problem will come to forum to post about it as well)

for example my current aftershock laptop has a BSOD issue that is so specific that I was lucky to find a solution by users on notebookreview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...#post-10235938

because this issue is registry related, if I ever factory reset my laptop it will also cause the issue to come back. Its not a catastrophic issue like motherboard fail, but it's annoying enough that if the problem had no solution and keep recurring I would have considered a RMA.

late 2020 will mark the 4th year of my current laptop, i might upgrade then so for now am just keeping eye out on potential models like the aftershock slate to see how they fare

I wonder if its an issue or not with my nova 15, ive noticed that whenever i try to start up my laptop with the battery removed, it wont boot to windows on the first startup, it will just get stucked at the aftershock logo.

Its only after i restart it after that point, then it will boot up with no issues at all.

Not sure if the issue is because i removed the removable battery and just ran the laptop purely from power adapter without the battery installed.
You could take it down to bendemeer for them to test it like whether the same issue happens if they do the same thing to another unit of the exact same model as yours

Since you observe the issue with the battery removed, then the 1st thing to try would be put the battery back in and use normally. Does the bootup still stuck at logo initially? If yes then it has nothing to do with the battery.

Last edited by chiaRH; 10-04-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 10-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #5115

yeah these things have a high degree of complexity, 1000 ways stuff can go wrong so there isnt even much point trying to due diligence on issues unless said issues are very well documented (and not everyone who has a problem will come to forum to post about it as well)

for example my current aftershock laptop has a BSOD issue that is so specific that I was lucky to find a solution by users on notebookreview
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...#post-10235938

because this issue is registry related, if I ever factory reset my laptop it will also cause the issue to come back. Its not a catastrophic issue like motherboard fail, but it's annoying enough that if the problem had no solution and keep recurring I would have considered a RMA.

late 2020 will mark the 4th year of my current laptop, i might upgrade then so for now am just keeping eye out on potential models like the aftershock slate to see how they fare

You could take it down to bendemeer for them to test it like whether the same issue happens if they do the same thing to another unit of the exact same model as yours

Since you observe the issue with the battery removed, then the 1st thing to try would be put the battery back in and use normally. Does the bootup still stuck at logo initially? If yes then it has nothing to do with the battery.
I'll test it out later when im back home with the battery installed to see if that solves the problem.

From what ive noticed, the whenever i havent used the laptop for half a day or so and try to boot it up, it will show the aftershock logo, and usually shortly after that, there will be a spinning icon below the aftershock logo followed by the windows start login screen.

But now during initial powering up, it just freezes at the aftershock logo, so no spinning logo below and subsequent windows login screen.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.