www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Notebook Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/notebook-clinic-77/)
-   -   AFTERSHOCK PC Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/notebook-clinic-77/aftershock-pc-%96-now-featuring-nvidia-10-series-graphics-cards-3984575.html)

spinning_quirK 04-08-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiaRH (Post 78445853)
Besides if I recall correctly, aluminium radiates heat to the air better than copper. Copper is for surface to surface. Maybe future clevo can have aluminium chassis then whole notebook become a heatsink (but the weight will suffer...)

For quickest transfer of heat from source to sink, copper has a slight edge over aluminium (silver is best, but corrosion and cost deter firmly). However, copper has higher heat capacity than aluminium, which means copper absorbs more heat than aluminium per degree Celsius gained.

So aluminium reaches a high temperature faster, attains the maximum temperature gradient faster, and hence achieves faster transfer of heat from bulk to air.

chiaRH 04-08-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m32t8103 (Post 78454294)
Not true, there are several software used to control the fan, but it's better let it be default, you don't want your notebook cpu or gpu get fried out. MSI also use a script which triggered by button (the Turbo Fan). That why the barebone MSI dont have the feature(Correct me if i'm wrong as i not certain).

I only know of MSI afterburner but I'm quite sure the fan control there are for desktop GPU not notebook. As far as I know you need to use bios mods for these clevo machines

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradenHeat (Post 78446710)
Wait, so now, regardless, if gpu is used, the fans will just spin at max? No control over it?

I won't really call it "max" but they will definitely reach an audible level...

based on HWinfo monitoring of the EC, the "usual" GPU idle speed of my GPU fan is around 2500+ rpm and it goes to around 3140+ when gaming or using any program that activates the GPU

http://gyazo.com/b810257e669e5bd03526ab322fc038c2.png

This is a monitoring test I did on my GPU (nvidia 675m) EC and the load on Skyrim followed by photoshop. Although skyrim heats up the GPU by about 30 celsius hotter than when running photoshop, in both cases the fan speed is in the audible 3.1k RPM range. For pushing the GPU to the max (eg. in temperature benchmark) I would get something around 3.7k RPM which I consider to be the max. But I think once you go over 3k RPM you definitely can hear the fan noticeably, especially if you're not playing music.

BradenHeat 05-08-2013 08:20 AM

Heya, folks thanks for all the chip in.

@ eric: well for 13" it should last well beyond 2hrs, if optimus does its job of switching well ,was looking more answers from the mammoths of 17 haha but thanks for the input

@ chiarh : hmm meaning to say, there's no modulation of the fan speed then, its either on or off state. That's pretty bad design and implementation

@ spinning : if there's a good balance for modulation of fan speed and heatsink, that will be ideal

@ aftershock, zen & marcus :
Will you guys be able to work with clevo or at least work out something on the bios ? Or give us at least 3 different fan speed or better , specific fan rpm depending on gfx load ?

Do feedback on this.... Thanks you all

watzup_ken 05-08-2013 08:32 AM

Not sure about other models, but there is a difference in the fan speed on my X17, at least with the current BIOS version. I know it starts at low speed at idle, then will bump up the fan to about medium at around 60+ degs, and finally once it hits 80 to 85 degs, it will hit max speed.

watzup_ken 05-08-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinning_quirK (Post 78454495)
For quickest transfer of heat from source to sink, copper has a slight edge over aluminium (silver is best, but corrosion and cost deter firmly). However, copper has higher heat capacity than aluminium, which means copper absorbs more heat than aluminium per degree Celsius gained.

So aluminium reaches a high temperature faster, attains the maximum temperature gradient faster, and hence achieves faster transfer of heat from bulk to air.

If I am not mistaken, I've read somewhere that aluminium is about 60+ percent as effective as copper when it comes to conduction. Therefore, it is the preferred choice when it comes to heatsink and electric cables. But this also means you need to rid the heat from it faster with good airflow. Also, it is substantially heavier and pricier than aluminium.

blitzio 05-08-2013 11:57 AM

Very interested to see more info coming out on the Halo, like vids or pics. Hoping to get one for work since we have a BYOD policy :)

chiaRH 05-08-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradenHeat (Post 78460871)
Heya, folks thanks for all the chip in.

@ eric: well for 13" it should last well beyond 2hrs, if optimus does its job of switching well ,was looking more answers from the mammoths of 17 haha but thanks for the input

@ chiarh : hmm meaning to say, there's no modulation of the fan speed then, its either on or off state. That's pretty bad design and implementation

@ spinning : if there's a good balance for modulation of fan speed and heatsink, that will be ideal

@ aftershock, zen & marcus :
Will you guys be able to work with clevo or at least work out something on the bios ? Or give us at least 3 different fan speed or better , specific fan rpm depending on gfx load ?

Do feedback on this.... Thanks you all

Currently I think the fan levels, based on my tests, are something like this:

Below 50 celsius = 2700-2800 RPM
50 to 90 celsius = 3100-3300 RPM
Above 90 Celsius = 3600-3700 RPM

Most of the fan noise in clevo machines I guess is due to the 50-celsius mark where the GPU fan will already start to spin up, even under non-gaming scenarios (my 675M idles barely below 50 so it's easy for any slight load to rev up the fan)

BradenHeat 05-08-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiaRH (Post 78472381)
Currently I think the fan levels, based on my tests, are something like this:

Below 50 celsius = 2700-2800 RPM
50 to 90 celsius = 3100-3300 RPM
Above 90 Celsius = 3600-3700 RPM

Most of the fan noise in clevo machines I guess is due to the 50-celsius mark where the GPU fan will already start to spin up, even under non-gaming scenarios (my 675M idles barely below 50 so it's easy for any slight load to rev up the fan)

haha, wow, thats ocd there :D:o:s13:

thanks for the info man.....*waiting anxiously like a little boy for brand new toy*

BradenHeat 06-08-2013 08:16 AM

Just checking :

HGST Travelstar 7K1000 Review: A 1 TB Notebook Drive At 7200 RPM - HGST's 1 TB Mobile Drive, Spinning At 7200 RPM

and i've checked that its selling for 105 from the pricelist sgd

will it be available as the next hard disk configuration ?:s12:

watzup_ken 06-08-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradenHeat (Post 78488500)
Just checking :

HGST Travelstar 7K1000 Review: A 1 TB Notebook Drive At 7200 RPM - HGST's 1 TB Mobile Drive, Spinning At 7200 RPM

and i've checked that its selling for 105 from the pricelist sgd

will it be available as the next hard disk configuration ?:s12:

If they don't can always buy it and fix it up yourself bro. Changing the hard drive is no sweat here. ;)

BradenHeat 06-08-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzup_ken (Post 78488549)
If they don't can always buy it and fix it up yourself bro. Changing the hard drive is no sweat here. ;)

One stop/pit-stop mah :crazy:

*crossing fingers that i can get before national day*

:o:s13:

watzup_ken 06-08-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradenHeat (Post 78488775)
One stop/pit-stop mah :crazy:

*crossing fingers that i can get before national day*

:o:s13:

When did you place your order? I recalled Aftershock have mentioned your laptop is undergoing their stress test already, so I expect it to be soon. ;)

BradenHeat 06-08-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watzup_ken (Post 78488861)
When did you place your order? I recalled Aftershock have mentioned your laptop is undergoing their stress test already, so I expect it to be soon. ;)

Already got 5 list of games on standby liaos :crazy:

my holiday / weekend :o

chiaRH 06-08-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradenHeat (Post 78489859)
Already got 5 list of games on standby liaos :crazy:

my holiday / weekend :o

Wah so kan cheong u might as well bring the 5 games there and install on the spot while the laptop is undergoing burn-in, haha

BradenHeat 06-08-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiaRH (Post 78494201)
Wah so kan cheong u might as well bring the 5 games there and install on the spot while the laptop is undergoing burn-in, haha

Not there rah...
just install back home, jin "friendly" games wor :crazy:

those are the games, which, currently, even if my system is still usable, cannot even run at lowest settings :s22: