HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #4381

For almost a year my S-15 had been making rumbling sounds whenever I tilt or move it around. And it was always running hot on the left side. So, I took it in a month ago and they decided that this time they would replace entirely the fan. Before, they would simply blow out the copious amounts of dust.

Result? The machine works perfectly now. Doesn't run hot, doesn't make any noise and battery life seems a bit better.

Unfortunately, the keyboard is quite wonky and they didn't have a replacement for it when I was there so that's probably the next thing to look into.

The machine is getting close to three years old and I can say that the quality is good but it is the service that saves the day.
Are you still in warranty? If not how much they charge you for the fan?
sacar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:18 AM   #4382

Advice for New/Existing Users of Aftershock Established Models with Windows 10 Creators Update

If you happen to have your Windows 10 OS Updated to Version 1703 (aka Creators Update), it is highly advised for users of Aftershock PC's most established systems to have their drivers updated ASAP to minimize the risk of BSOD Error during gameplay. No one wants to get upset over being so close to completing a mission or battle in your favourite FPS Shooter or MMORPG only for a Touchpad Driver crash to trigger a BSOD Situation that makes you swear and curse at the laptop that you splashed good money to purchase, right?

As of writing, the established units from Aftershock PC that may be affected by this fall under the S-Series Gaming Notebooks, by which CLEVO has supplied updated OEM Drivers that are presumably tested to work seamlessly with the Creators Update of Windows 10, most of them have been released in July 2017. These drivers are by far, newer than those Microsoft can offer at the moment, as such, getting them updated would be strongly advised at the earliest possible time of convenience to you, because some of the drivers can take up to an hour to be fully downloaded into your system, even at Fibre Broadband Speeds.

Established Aftershock Units that are likely to be eligible for Win10 CU Driver Updates from CLEVO's Driver Download Site are:
- S-15, S-17 Series (P650/P670) with GTX1060 6GB
Download Link: Drivers Page for P6xxHP6 Series Notebooks
- S-15, S-17 Series (P650/P670) with GTX1070 8GB
Download Link: Drivers Page for P6xxHS Series Notebooks
- S-14 Series (P640HJ) with GTX1050 2GB
Download Link: Drivers Page for P64xHJ Series Notebooks
Currently these units have OEM-issued drivers from CLEVO that is made to work with Windows 10 Creators Update, it is still unknown if other Established Units Aftershock offers (W-Series and TITAN-S, based P750/P770 and P870) have similar OEM drivers being introduced for them.
The links provided above point to units that have the Kaby Lake (7th Gen) CPU as their core computing unit, however the updated OEM drivers provided are actually backward-compatible with earlier CPU builds like Skylake (6th Gen) and earlier ones, so long as they belong to the same build family.
Should you need to locate the updated drivers, upon reaching the download page, look out for the words "support Win10 RS2" in the description, which points you to the most updated drivers available by the OEM. Please get them downloaded and installed the moment your S-Series Notebook is updated with the Creators Update from Microsoft (via Windows Update App) to minimize the risk of BSOD while gaming intensively.
Tsurugi_Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #4383
Supremacy Member

to add on, to check windows build version,
press start, type in search bar "winver", and execute winver.exe

u from aftershock ar?
users of Aftershock PC's most established systems
ive encounted once or twice screen just freeze. like literally frozen.
didnt save my stuff. apk development gg

sm-15 need anot?
razorlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #4384

Just a suggestion to team Aftershock, not sure if it is possible to allow like a power brick upgrade option. For example, the MX 15 series comes with a 120w power supply. It would be good to have an option to opt for say a 150w power supply instead.
We'll look into this ken. Thanks for the feedback! it should actually be possible.

Razorlala- i'm the only person from aftershock on the forums here , though tsurugi follows the details of this industry closely

Marcus
AFTERSHOCK PC

Last edited by sheepysheep; 01-09-2017 at 05:19 PM..
sheepysheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #4385
Supremacy Member

We'll look into this ken. Thanks for the feedback! it should actually be possible.

Razorlala- i'm the only person from aftershock on the forums here , though tsurugi follows the details of this industry closely

Marcus
AFTERSHOCK PC
i see, good luck with comex
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #4386

Anyone knows what other ways are there to check if a drive is connected to the mobo?

I've tried

- Device manager > scan for hardware changes
- Disk management > Rescan disks
- CPUID HWMonitor
- HWinfo64
- Not listed under bios either

Just started using my laptop again after receiving it back from repair.

Not sure if they left it out/ did not connect it back during repair or something.

Last edited by NotLikeThis; 02-09-2017 at 10:46 PM..
NotLikeThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #4387

to add on, to check windows build version,
press start, type in search bar "winver", and execute winver.exe
Eh, fastest method to check build is via "Windows Key -> Settings -> System -> About" actually. No typing required.

u from aftershock ar?
Not actually, but I've following their build developments for nearly 1.5 years now (the first unit I saw from them WAS the S-15, then using the i7-4710HQ and GTX970M 3GB GPU combination (aka based P650SE3), though the SM-15 with the 965M was my original target successor for my 6-year-old Dell XPS Unit, scarred after nightmarish EPIC-FAIL after-sales service , like it or not, there are users who switch to Aftershock for similar trauma of horrible service to their previous units.) before actually getting that unit. Heavy rumours abound about the imminent arrival of Pascal GPUs back in mid-2015 but didn't expect their performance gap for their Notebook Counterparts to be way too close to desktop levels (Notebook GTX 900Ms and earlier ones are way inferior to desktop versions in literally every single department!). Dell users are "habitual" ones of self-diagnosing AND self-updating their own hardware drivers, so I literally carried that 10-year-old habit over to the Aftershock S-15 which succeeded it (my 4th Laptop in 16 years). Even the actual staff there are pretty surprised at the way I can explain all of these details which even long-time users sometimes take for granted. Actually, first time I heard about this company was when they are still at Little India shophouse with all their XG-Series Rigs.
Also, you may not know this, what Aftershock PC does TODAY with their units was EXACTLY what Dell once did with their own custom units here TEN YEARS AGO, and ended up being the world's Number ONE PC Maker for this reason. But look at how much they've fallen nowadays... I still remember the time I once owned Dell's most solid unit sporting a Intel Pentium M Processor and a ATI Graphics Card back in 2005...
ive encounted once or twice screen just freeze. like literally frozen.
didnt save my stuff. apk development gg

sm-15 need anot?
Just quick-checked the Drivers page for the N150 Series (reference for SM-15), no luck for the drivers as N150 is considered outdated chassis (replaced by N850HK1, or MX-15 Elite early this year), may have to rely on generic drivers for updates from here on out.
AFAIK, the reason why S-Series was of particular concern is because I have personally encountered that issue previously when the OS in my S-15 was updated to Anniversary Update (Version 1607) and problems start cropping up like the one you mentioned previously, screen freeze followed by BSOD and restart. Using diagnostic tool called WhoCrashed points to the Touchpad Driver that caused this, which has long roots in previous Aftershock S-15 builds harking back to that first one I saw at their old office at Bendemeer (Haswell + 970M + Win 8.1, right here). That model of the S-15 had a lone USB 2.0 Port back then, replaced with the twin USB-C ports from Pascal units onwards. I even went to lodge a support request regarding this issue but even their service staff handling my case (Weilong) finds it a little difficult in managing until I discovered the "hidden" Clevo Drivers support page which saved my unit from crashes. Armed with this experience, I could have guessed that once Creators' Update is applied, the same thing might re-surface, and surprisingly, Clevo DID have the updated drivers uploaded for the S-15, S-17 and S-14 reference units compatible with the Redstone 2 system.

Last edited by Tsurugi_Matsuda; 03-09-2017 at 02:35 AM..
Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #4388

Eh, fastest method to check build is via "Windows Key -> Settings -> System -> About" actually. No typing required.
i think winver is faster, its 6 keystrokes vs 4 mouse clicks, dont forget you still have to move the mouse to the exact position to click, while a keystroke is just pressing the key

Also, you may not know this, what Aftershock PC does TODAY with their units was EXACTLY what Dell once did with their own custom units here TEN YEARS AGO, and ended up being the world's Number ONE PC Maker for this reason. But look at how much they've fallen nowadays... I still remember the time I once owned Dell's most solid unit sporting a Intel Pentium M Processor and a ATI Graphics Card back in 2005...
You never know, the same could happen to the niche of build to order gaming laptops

Long time ago, Dell was build to order, then computers started becoming so commoditized that Dell actually lost out by not offering its products on shelves in traditional brick mortar stores

I believe the gaming laptop segment is already started to go down the commoditization route after Maxwell GPUs came out, so the clevo machines face stiffer competition than before.

At the moment the big selling point of aftershock is still the service and value positioning such that

- even though it is known that clevo laptops have their fair share of issues, aftershock can usually resolve in an efficient manner

- even though there are many competing brands, they are much higher margin and cost way more in terms of performance per dollar
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #4389

How long do your Aftershock laptops' batteries usually last for light use? Just want to compare.
I check my MX15-elite's battery percentage frequently and even though sometimes the system does nothing, the % falls very quickly, like 1% per less than 1 minute.
So seems like the overall time is not even 2hr for light use.
kakashidinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #4390

I believe the gaming laptop segment is already started to go down the commoditization route after Maxwell GPUs came out, so the clevo machines face stiffer competition than before.

At the moment the big selling point of aftershock is still the service and value positioning such that

- even though it is known that clevo laptops have their fair share of issues, aftershock can usually resolve in an efficient manner

- even though there are many competing brands, they are much higher margin and cost way more in terms of performance per dollar
Which is precisely why I always stress that there's always one thing that cannot be commoditized in any situation: The After-Sales Service Standards of vendors. Dell chose that route after they have bought over Alienware and suffered the consequences, which happened to be the very thing that Aftershock (and other Clevo-based builders around the world) has ensured that their units are worth the money paid for: The "pull factor" of ensuring their machines can remain well-functioning whenever the user needs it, so much that it can be said their very reputation (and survival) literally depends on it!

Like it or not, only DAFT people would pay good money for good design and get horrible service after the money was paid. Like paying increasing fares on MRT Trains to see them break down every few days.

Bad after-sales service standards can at many instances ruin the best-designed and value-for-money machines one can afford to buy, especially if you are after high-performance machines like Gaming Laptops that demands much more than this. Commodification (or outsourcing) of after-sales service often has pretty damaging consequences for the end-user, especially if it is outsourced to people that don't even know what they're doing, literally throwing good money after bad actually!

How long do your Aftershock laptops' batteries usually last for light use? Just want to compare.
I check my MX15-elite's battery percentage frequently and even though sometimes the system does nothing, the % falls very quickly, like 1% per less than 1 minute.
So seems like the overall time is not even 2hr for light use.
You may like to try out some of the power settings to help maximize the possible battery usage:
- Brightness/Power Settings in Clevo Control Center
- Power Settings in Windows OS
- GPU BatteryBoost Settings in GeForce Control Panel/GeForce Experience
Note that the Power Settings in the OS and Clevo Control Center operates independently of each other, which can be advantageous in fine-tuning the power needs of the laptop you're using.

Also, since the MX-15 Elite (N850HK1) uses a smaller removable battery (47WHr) compared to its predecessor SM-15 (N150RF)'s 62WHr removable battery, don't expect too much usage time without being plugged in. Estimated battery usage advertised is based on Power Saver Settings at lowest configured levels (for maximum duration of battery usage possible), even the use of more than 1 RAM piece will also affect power usage durations, hence the disparity in price between say 2x 8GB RAM versus 1x 16GB piece on top of the cost itself.

Last edited by Tsurugi_Matsuda; 03-09-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #4391

Like it or not, only DAFT people would pay good money for good design and get horrible service after the money was paid.
Thats actually the majority of customers though, and even if you are a discerning consumer it can sometimes be very hard to judge how good a company's service quality is cos in this world there are product reviews, not service centre reviews. Most people just buy stuff and hope it doesnt spoil and I wouldnt really fault them like say why never due diligence and find out service quality etc. Its simply very hard to know for sure.

My most recent experience in fact was with Linksys. Only after I bought one of their routers, and then experienced issues a month later, then I found out Linksys has no service centre in Singapore, and all support are done by phone or web chat. Luckily it turned out ok and I was able to RMA it.

Maybe someone needs to start something like HungryGoWhere, can call it SpoilGoWhere or something and in it, review all the electronics service centres here with people submitting their service support experiences and giving 1-5 star ratings... all that sort of stuff

Last edited by chiaRH; 03-09-2017 at 09:52 PM..
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #4392

my m15 v2 aftershock laptop fan noise sometimes runs on high speed even when i leave it idle(2 browsers opened), am i the only 1 facing it? I believe they replaced my fan the 2nd time i brought it back.
Aresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:46 AM   #4393
Supremacy Member

small company easy to manage. orders small, etc all can do with minimal management. boss around, can supervise easily. customer got problems, boss can step in, help settle. once u go big n expand, boss cant be everywhere.
more ppl, means harder to manage n supervise.
QC starts getting shabby, SOPs will start popping out for employees to follow to maintain a certain level of standard.
employees that follow sop will end up having customers like u saying u had a nightmarish experience, etc.
employees are afterall, getting a fixed wage. cant expect everyone to go the extra mile for customers.
my prev exp servicing with AS also dont rly reflect well. only when boss step in everything then swee swee.

Just quick-checked the Drivers page for the N150 Series (reference for SM-15), no luck for the drivers as N150 is considered outdated chassis (replaced by N850HK1, or MX-15 Elite early this year), may have to rely on generic drivers for updates from here on out.
AFAIK, the reason why S-Series was of particular concern is because I have personally encountered that issue previously when the OS in my S-15 was updated to Anniversary Update (Version 1607) and problems start cropping up like the one you mentioned previously, screen freeze followed by BSOD and restart. Using diagnostic tool called WhoCrashed points to the Touchpad Driver that caused this, which has long roots in previous Aftershock S-15 builds harking back to that first one I saw at their old office at Bendemeer (Haswell + 970M + Win 8.1, right here). That model of the S-15 had a lone USB 2.0 Port back then, replaced with the twin USB-C ports from Pascal units onwards. I even went to lodge a support request regarding this issue but even their service staff handling my case (Weilong) finds it a little difficult in managing until I discovered the "hidden" Clevo Drivers support page which saved my unit from crashes. Armed with this experience, I could have guessed that once Creators' Update is applied, the same thing might re-surface, and surprisingly, Clevo DID have the updated drivers uploaded for the S-15, S-17 and S-14 reference units compatible with the Redstone 2 system.
well.. my screen so far only freeze completely at most once of twice the past few mths. the common thing, it usually freeze when im afk, and the unit is still running, system still hot. just screen completely frozen. no input or watever would work either

Like it or not, only DAFT people would pay good money for good design and get horrible service after the money was paid. Like paying increasing fares on MRT Trains to see them break down every few days.
rich kid spotted.
reality check: commoners dont have a choice on price of public transport.

also, not many ppl buy stuff expecting them to fail within warranty period.

Last edited by razorlala; 04-09-2017 at 04:17 AM..
Old 06-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #4394

I'm really disappointed in MX15-Elite's cooling system. Last time as I mentioned, GPU reached 94c during full load. I had to buy an external cooling device such as OPOLAR LC-06 to help GPU stable around 80c during max load. At 94c, GPU can work without any issue but its peak clock was greatly reduced compare to 80c.
I thought it was only GPU, but actually CPU has overheating problem also. It cannot maintain turbo clock during Stress Test (using Prime95). In less than 1 min, the CPU temp reached 99c and consequently it had to downclock itself to reduce temp (from 3.4 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz).

Witch high temp issue like this both GPU and CPU won't be able to work at their full potential.

Currently I am not in Singapore, once coming back I will contact Aftershock to take a look if there is any cooling issues.
kakashidinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #4395
Supremacy Member

I'm really disappointed in MX15-Elite's cooling system. Last time as I mentioned, GPU reached 94c during full load. I had to buy an external cooling device such as OPOLAR LC-06 to help GPU stable around 80c during max load. At 94c, GPU can work without any issue but its peak clock was greatly reduced compare to 80c.
I thought it was only GPU, but actually CPU has overheating problem also. It cannot maintain turbo clock during Stress Test (using Prime95). In less than 1 min, the CPU temp reached 99c and consequently it had to downclock itself to reduce temp (from 3.4 Ghz to 2.8 Ghz).

Witch high temp issue like this both GPU and CPU won't be able to work at their full potential.

Currently I am not in Singapore, once coming back I will contact Aftershock to take a look if there is any cooling issues.
Ur MX15 elite how old liao? Normally cooling problem I will first check if it's dust problem. Dismantle slightly and a few spray of compressed air normally does the trick.

My MX15 Pro has a gfx of higher tdp than the elite and mine seems ok.
hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.