HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree599Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #4891

Depends on how much price gouging Nvidia wants to do.

I'm more confused as to WHY the Prime-15 chassis, which has pretty damn SHITTY cooling capability(I own a P15 myself) has a option for 1070 Max Q but the Apex 15 which has better thermal capability is restricted to the 1060 at best?

The apex 15 clevo chassis was tested by youtuber Dave 2D recently and has far, far better thermals with a 1060 than my P-15 with a 1060, so it makes no sense why AS wouldnt offer a 1070 option. I'd jump for it if they ever did.

And with regards to getting a laptop immediately, no, you cant. Each laptop order is made-to-order ie. they assemble it after receiving your order specs. Waiting time during IT fairs tend to stretch up to 3 weeks. I waited 2 weeks for my P15 ordered during COMEX 2017
Thank you for your input. Aftershock has about 10 Apex 15 in stock at the show and can collect on the spot.

I bought Apex-15 already with brown switches. For brown switches, there is a 3 weeks wait so my orders will be ready around 27th September. It's ok since I'll be in reservist for 2 weeks starting next week. Once out, should be able to collect.

For Prime 15, i think the 1070 Max Q is a down clocked 1070 and has similar TDP to a full 1060. It offers that in Prime 15 cuz of the 3 fan configuration. But due to the design of Apex vents, seems to do better in thermal department.

I believe Apex don't have the power delivery to run a 1070 Max Q. For my brief testing of Apex 15 at the show, 1060, it is being limited by power and clocks only at 1549 Mhz. The temperature reached 74°C max after 4 times Superposition runs.

I also watched the Dave2D video on this similar model and liked it.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Last edited by Psycovirus; 06-09-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Psycovirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #4892

I heard they might have some stocks on hand, with the exact specs as outlined in the brochure, but you have to consult them to be sure. Anything that has customisation especially the paintjob, definitely have to wait.

And none of these laptop models are new so availability shouldnt be a problem. Usually its the new stuff that may not be available right away, I was actually there earlier and their new 4k prism+ monitor isnt coming till Oct, there isnt even a display unit

probably have to wait and see if tongfang wants to offer it as a choice

with how close we are to turing replacing pascal, they might instead just go for 2000 series instead of making a new SKU with a soon to be outdated GPU
Yupe. They have stock for Apex 15 Blue switch version. Brown switches are new and not in stock. 3 weeks waiting time.

About the 4K monitor, yupe, they tried to bring it in for this Comex but had issues with shipping so didn't make it according to the manager. They'll have stock for sale only in October.

The Dream core new 4K monitor is available for $389 at show. If you trade in any 24"+ monitor, there's further $50 discount. Can consider theirs too.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Last edited by Psycovirus; 06-09-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Old 07-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #4893

I believe Apex don't have the power delivery to run a 1070 Max Q. For my brief testing of Apex 15 at the show, 1060, it is being limited by power and clocks only at 1549 Mhz. The temperature reached 74C max after 4 times Superposition runs.
Anyone know what power supply is used for the apex?

I assumed its something similar to the prime, which would be 180W. Thats the typical wattage for power adapters that can support other 1070-max Q laptops such as GS65 and Aero 15X. If Apex is also using 180W it might have had enough for a 1070 max Q but without a triple fan like GS65/Prime 15 it might struggle. The Aero 15X with 2 fans doesnt seem to cope too well with a 1070 max Q

Sometimes lesser power could be up to how the manufacturer sets the limits in the bios too.
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #4894

I assumed its something similar to the prime, which would be 180W. Thats the typical wattage for power adapters that can support other 1070-max Q laptops such as GS65 and Aero 15X. If Apex is also using 180W it might have had enough for a 1070 max Q but without a triple fan like GS65/Prime 15 it might struggle. The Aero 15X with 2 fans doesnt seem to cope too well with a 1070 max Q

Sometimes lesser power could be up to how the manufacturer sets the limits in the bios too.
I checked with them and it is a 180W Power brick.

What I meant by not enough power is likely to be the cause of poor VRMs that is not able to provide the power 1060 needs to push the clocks or maybe like you mentioned, it might be limited in the BIOS. Simple overclocking app should fix that. 3 weeks is a long time to wait.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #4895

TLDR: Heavy load- still horrible at cooling. Normal-light load, good performance.

In my experience the triple fans don't do much. Extremely gimmicky in the case of the P-15. Sounds good on paper, crap in reality. I've had the fans changed twice, had the techs reapply Liquid Metal twice, and had the techs check for dust and clean out the insides twice.

No dice. Temps under load when not elevated ie. natural position were horrendous. CPU temps maxed at 88 degs, GPU temps under max load(not even benchmarks, playing D2) hit 87-89 degs.

The zephyrus M only has two fans but nowhere as high load temps as my P-15. So does the 2018 Razer Blade(which HWZ and Dave 2D both claimed max at 75 degs on the GPU side under load).

And unless the 1060 GPU tested by HWZ was severely limited and essentially a max Q(which AS claims it is NOT), the temps tested for the Apex 15 on a full fat 1060 were EXTREMELY low compared to the P-15; easily up to 15 degs lower than my P15 under load.

Sorry, but as an owner of a P15, i accept its design limitations and have to disagree with you there. Even with three fans, the P15 is absolute crap at thermal management. I bought into the idea of three fans being great for cooling as well, but now i'm just so dis-illusioned by it lol. Then again, I'm just stating my experience with it, you may have a completely different experience with it as compared to me.

For reference: elevating my P15 decreased temps by up to 8 degs. My guess would be a design flaw maybe? I've bought and attached two plastic legs to the bottom of my P15 and the difference is Heaven and Hell, literally.

Any other P15 owners please chip in on this if you can, curious if other P15's are this bad at thermals

EDIT: Just benchtested my CPU on Intel XTU, temps hit 94 degs and gave me a mini heart attack. Goddamn.

ADDON: Heavy loads testing aside, I feel the need to at least give P15 some credit where its due. After my latest visit to AS techs(when they reflashed my bios to fix the fans ramping up for no reason and also repasted a second time), my P-15 performs beautifully on normal-medium load. By medium load i mean loading an IDE, Chrome and VMware together, which pushed the CPU to a max of 76 degs, acceptable to me. Fan noise on medium load is also now very bearable in volume. Normal load such as light coding, chrome shows low cpu temps of 55-63, fan completely quiet, but gets pretty warm to the touch and weirdly enough occasionally jumps to 70 degs if i leave the laptop on its sleeve ie. no airflow.

My gripe comes when I push the computer under heavy load such as heavy gaming, where it becomes clear my P-15's cooling can barely handle itself.

Last edited by narkizy; 07-09-2018 at 11:43 AM..
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #4896

Any apex 15 owners can commend on the overall performance? Was comteplating between apex given the choice of silent keyboard against aero 15w
DellGTX960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:35 AM   #4897

Any apex 15 owners can commend on the overall performance? Was comteplating between apex given the choice of silent keyboard against aero 15w
its worth noting that for 2 devices that both use 1060 and 8750H, roughly $700 separates the apex from the aero 15W during comex

If you really pay more to buy the Aero, the major benefit that the $700 gets you is superior battery life, which is actually been one of the Aero's top selling points since debut, due to it having a larger battery by foregoing a HDD bay. Also based on comex brochures, the Aero will be 16GB RAM while Apex is only 8GB.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #4898

Thanks once again...
DellGTX960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #4899

Hey guys, I recently got a Prime 15 from Aftershock in Dec last year. The included SATA SSD in the m.2 slot was a little too slow for me so I decided to buy a 970 EVO m.2 SSD and a 2.5in SSHD instead. I've never tried opening up this laptop or any laptop, for that matter. What's the manual upgrade process like? I'd assume Aftershock staff wouldnt be too thrilled to help me install anyway so i wanna try to install those myself. Any tips?

Also, i understand from looking at the specs that the laptop has only 1 m.2, so how do I clone my OS + data over from the old ssd to the new one? o_o Currently I'm thinking clone data over to the SSHD in the 2.5inch drive bay, then clone the data from SSHD over to the new SSD installed. Is there an easier way than to have to clone the data twice?

EDIT: Loosened the bottom screws myself and found that the metal panel on the bottom stayed rigid =/ Guess i'll be going to AS to find a friendly tech patient enough to wait for me to clone old ssd-new sshd, then sshd-new ssd

Last edited by lapzee; 10-09-2018 at 08:15 PM..
lapzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #4900

Hey guys, I recently got a Prime 15 from Aftershock in Dec last year. The included SATA SSD in the m.2 slot was a little too slow for me so I decided to buy a 970 EVO m.2 SSD and a 2.5in SSHD instead. I've never tried opening up this laptop or any laptop, for that matter. What's the manual upgrade process like? I'd assume Aftershock staff wouldnt be too thrilled to help me install anyway so i wanna try to install those myself. Any tips?

Also, i understand from looking at the specs that the laptop has only 1 m.2, so how do I clone my OS + data over from the old ssd to the new one? o_o Currently I'm thinking clone data over to the SSHD in the 2.5inch drive bay, then clone the data from SSHD over to the new SSD installed. Is there an easier way than to have to clone the data twice?

EDIT: Loosened the bottom screws myself and found that the metal panel on the bottom stayed rigid =/ Guess i'll be going to AS to find a friendly tech patient enough to wait for me to clone old ssd-new sshd, then sshd-new ssd

Suggest to get a external USB enclosure for the new SSD. Once inside the enclosure, it will act like basically a big and long flash drive, which you can then plug into the laptop so that the laptop can access the SSD for you to do the cloning.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:29 PM   #4901

Suggest to get a external USB enclosure for the new SSD. Once inside the enclosure, it will act like basically a big and long flash drive, which you can then plug into the laptop so that the laptop can access the SSD for you to do the cloning.
ooo I didnt think of that! Great idea man tenks.

shopee.sg/New-Arrival-USB-3-0-to-M-2-SSD-Enclosure-USB3-0-to-NGFF-Hard-Disk-Adapter-M2-SSD-i.9029100.789350564?gclid=CjwKCAjwrNjcBRA3EiwAIIOvq2RrQNeQBRJSTVxjNvB37d30ZzTjRlIakQmw-piEIy7f5NGxksUEHBoCaLQQAvD_BwE

Something like this works?

PS cant post links cuz im new LOL wtf. But u can copy paste

EDIT: Wah gg. turns out the cheap enclosures are for SATA3 ssds only. NVME enclosures are easily 80 usd a pop =/ Or should i pop out the old sata 3 samsung 850 evo ssd into a sata 3 enclosure, then pop in the new NVME ssd and boot from there? Would that work?

Last edited by lapzee; 10-09-2018 at 10:43 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 AM   #4902

should i pop out the old sata 3 samsung 850 evo ssd into a sata 3 enclosure, then pop in the new NVME ssd and boot from there? Would that work?
Uh not sure what you mean but... I dont think win10 allows booting from external drive, so if you take out your current SSD which is also your OS drive, you cant do external boot.

if you think the enclosure for NVME is too costly, might have to look for those laptop servicing/repair/recovery places and see if they offer service to help you clone data. The service fee might be cheaper than buying the enclosure for a cloning operation that you'll only perform once.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #4903

Uh not sure what you mean but... I dont think win10 allows booting from external drive, so if you take out your current SSD which is also your OS drive, you cant do external boot.

if you think the enclosure for NVME is too costly, might have to look for those laptop servicing/repair/recovery places and see if they offer service to help you clone data. The service fee might be cheaper than buying the enclosure for a cloning operation that you'll only perform once.
Hmm... I'll consider that. I found a free ssd cloning program online, would it work if i clone the data over from old ssd to sshd then sshd clone over to new ssd?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #4904

Hmm... I'll consider that. I found a free ssd cloning program online, would it work if i clone the data over from old ssd to sshd then sshd clone over to new ssd?
Will be more inefficient but I guess it will work, you are just doing the same entire process 2 times
Old 13-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #4905

Has anyone painted their laptop with Aftershock before? How much would a paintjob typically cost? Looking to paint my P15 as it looks and feels damn dull lol. Was considering skins but custom skins for Clevo-class laptops = non-existment lmao. The pain of owning an OEM lappy...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.