HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #5041

the 2070 max Q has 2 sets of clock speeds as theres a low end 80W version and a higher end 90W version, this could be 1 factor

we also dont know if the max Q is more likely to run at lower clocks due to max Q heat management while 2060 runs with less restraint
Based on NotebookCheck, the range of speeds for RTX2070 and 2080 could probably be due to the existence of Max-Q Variants of these GPUs (RTX2070 has 1080MHz base 1305MHz boost clocks, while the Max-Q edition has 885MHz base 1185MHz boost) but RTX2060 does not have Max-Q editions for it yet. Since ALL three Notebook RTX cards (and their Max-Q counterparts) all have a 80w base TGP power draw, the actual power requirements will be variable depending on game requirements (including use of Tensor and Ray-Tracing cores which adds to the variable power requirements), something which previous generations of GeForce Notebook GPUs do not possess.

And yes, the power draw restrictions for the RTX Max-Q specs plays a factor too like ChiaRH mentioned (115w for 2070 Max-Q and 150w for 2080 Max-Q, while their regular notebook ones can go slightly over that limit when needed, which ensures the fans won't go into overdrive to exceed noise levels dictated by Nvidia in the first place), although it doesn't change the other specs these cards have (RTX 2070 Max-Q like the Notebook RTX2070, retains its 2,304 CUDA Cores and 8GB 14Gb/s GDDR6 VRAM).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....386281.0.html

can someone explain how come so many games performs better in rtx 2060 (laptop) vs rtx 2070 max Q?? is there a mistake? I've already ordered a rtx 2070 max Q gaming laptop
There's a likelihood that some game titles are still not adept of utilizing the RTX's two other features very well, DLSS (uses Tensor AI Cores) and RTRT (uses Ray Tracing Cores) so they still depended on raw CUDA power to run the graphics side of things. As more and more upcoming titles adopt the DLSS and RTRT algorithms, the chances of these two new groups of silicon being used increases, and then we can see the real differences since both the RTX2060 and RTX2070 Max-Q will utilize these newly-added silicon while running these games. So you don't have to worry too much about performance once the RTRT and DLSS adoption becomes more widespread in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Tsurugi_Matsuda; 18-02-2019 at 12:28 AM..
Tsurugi_Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 09:38 AM   #5042

i just hope we can get the PB series in aftershock with the full 2070 and 2080

feels so weird going to aftershock website and under the 'extreme' category is a pair of max-q laptops
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #5043

When you mentioned that battery is dropping despite the fact that you are charging it, are you gaming on the laptop? I am asking because I know of laptops where the bundled charger is not able to keep up with the power consumption of the laptop under load, and as a result, the laptop will get power from the wall socket and the battery at the same time.

Aftershock don't seem to state the specs of the power brick, which makes it hard to determine if it is sufficient power for the laptop configuration.
Do you reckon it might be an issue with the voltages there or some sort? No gaming is done with the laptop, it's dropping when its idle.
ZenZeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #5044

Highly suggest you talk to a AS rep via email rather than ask here as you'll most likely require hardware repairs. Get AS to agree to cover your shipping(see below) and ship ASAP. Disappointing that AS techs didnt pick this up when they tested it and still passed the laptop to you

Where're you now studying at? Your best bet is either:

1) VIDEOTAPE the defects and email AS support. Ask for shipping coverage(ie. they pay for your shipping). Ship the laptop back to SG(if AS agree to cover which they most likely will, pick the fastest possible shipping svc and option) and ship it straight to AS HQ. They'll repair it and ship it back to you. Razer follows the above-mentioned policy but idk about AS for overseas repairs. And you'll be without a laptop for a couple weeks or more.

2) Approach other Clevo Resellers in the different regions of the world - Sager for USA, XMG for EU/Germany.

Heres a helpful link for finding Clevo resellers in the Eu:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...ion-v1.652403/

Clevo resellers worldwide:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...evo-resellers/

Although the Apex 17 itself uses a non-clevo chassis, its very likely Clevo resellers in other parts of the world also take on this chassis and brand their laptops differently, so parts for your Apex-17 will definitely be available. Pricing however, is a question mark. If you're in the EU I'd recommend just grabbing a cheap Ryanair flight or driving down to the nearest Clevo reseller and trying your luck there. Unless AS agrees to cover the full shipping fees ofc.
I believe the Apex-17 uses a different chassis, do you know if these are from clevo as well? I tried sending it for repair at one of t he repair shops, initially they thought it was a mosfet problem but the same issue occured within the next following day.
ZenZeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #5045

both apexes are using tongfang chassis
Old 24-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #5046

upgrade card

is it possible to upgrade the graphics card on aftershock laptop?
Rotiplanta98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #5047

No. Unless the chassis supports modular GPU, which currently none of the models sold by Aftershock offers supports.

CPU and GPU are typically soldered onto the mobo of almost all laptops with the exception of top-end desktop replacement laptops(which aftershock stopped selling)
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #5048

I believe the Apex-17 uses a different chassis, do you know if these are from clevo as well? I tried sending it for repair at one of t he repair shops, initially they thought it was a mosfet problem but the same issue occured within the next following day.
Hmm, you're out of luck there i guess, my assumption was wrong there. You could try your luck and ship it back to Aftershock SG(if they agree to pay for the shipping)
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #5049

GPU upgrading is not possible 99% of the time even on laptops that have removable GPUs due to thermal and power changes over new generations. If you google about MSI's GPU upgrade program they once offered it for maxwell MXM laptops but then pascal came out and people realised their maxwell laptops weren't going to be able to handle the pascal cards, MSI basically over-promised on something that was beyond their control.

For CPU... well you know how you cant just keep the same motherboard forever on your desktop and just keep changing CPU? Same story for laptops. Socket changes are a thing.

Last edited by chiaRH; 24-02-2019 at 11:23 PM..
Old 24-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #5050
Arch-Supremacy Member

In theory, yes. But in practice, no. I used to think that since the GPU is removable, I should be able to upgrade it at some point. Or that is what the marketing would like us to think. However, there are difference in the MXM slots, for example, it may supply higher amount of power to the MXM card. So older MXM slots will not be able to support newer GPUs. This is one of the issues I know because I was contemplating to upgrade an older GPU to a newer one on my Aftershock laptop, only to be advised by they that it is not possible.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #5051

I'm actually waiting for Aftershock to bring in the new refreshed Clevo P751TM1.

But as someone as posted, Aftershock has been steadily increasing their price compared to other Clevo re-sellers.
Shawshankredempti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #5052
Supremacy Member

Just curious, who are the other Clevo resellers?

I guess if other factors improve, reasonable to increase price as well.
fi5hbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #5053

Just curious, who are the other Clevo resellers?
the ones who arent in singapore. malaysia has illegear, australia has metabox, etc
Old 01-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #5054

I'm actually waiting for Aftershock to bring in the new refreshed Clevo P751TM1.

But as someone as posted, Aftershock has been steadily increasing their price compared to other Clevo re-sellers.
Well, at least they ARE now bringing in the PB5 Chassis, but are quite choosy now as to the chassis options. They are actually bringing in the PB50EF-G chassis here under their new line: New Nova 15 Gaming Laptop

And the price increase could be attributed in part to the strengthening SGD currency against the places they import the parts from, which could also affect other mainstream brands as well.
Tsurugi_Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:22 AM   #5055

swee chai butterfly sia
Japanesedude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.