HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

Like Tree598Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #5116

Just got a reply from aftershocks technical support and they informed the issue has been resolved due to faulty memory.

This is the first time ive heard faulty memory causing this problem which affects only start up but everything else is working perfectly.
crapp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #5117

Anyone owns a Nova 15?

Intending to get one but there is no display set at the showroom, and an inquiry reveals that they are awaiting arrival of the new chassis and we can only get the stocks from early May onwards.

Does anyone have actual detailed pics of the chassis (top/bottom/left/right) as I can't seem to get the visuals from their stock photos & videos. What is the equivalent Clevo chassis I should be looking for, and are there any other aftermarket models that use the same chassis?

Also, does anyone know the 16 GB DDR4 2666 RAM brand/model? I assume its the same for the other AfterShock models. Thinking of doing the upgrade of SSD & RAM myself to save on costs.

Thanks for any info.
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #5118

nova should be the PB50
chiaRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 01:37 AM   #5119

nova should be the PB50
Anyone owns a Nova 15?

Does anyone have actual detailed pics of the chassis (top/bottom/left/right) as I can't seem to get the visuals from their stock photos & videos. What is the equivalent Clevo chassis I should be looking for, and are there any other aftermarket models that use the same chassis?
Nova 15's base chassis is Clevo's PB50EF-G (E = Coffee Lake-H, F = RTX2070 Max-P, -G = G-Sync equipped)
For those who want to see clearer chassis pics you can try this site: Sager NP8356 Notebook, based on Clevo's PB51EF-G chassis
(Interesting to note: They mentioned that the Thunderbolt 3 Type C Port is located on the RIGHT side of the chassis together with a USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A Port.)

Also, could the delay in the display units have to do with the impending REFRESH of their CPU/GPU lineup, meaning the MX Series could be gone to make way for their successors that are likely to rock NEW parts announced today by Intel and NVidia:

- Intel Core 9th Generation Coffee Lake-HR Processors, with the main option being the i7-9750H CPU to replace the current i7-8750H for all applicable models. SLATE and NOVA are likely to be refreshed with these new GPUs in the foreseeable future (SLATE 15: P960ED/F/N -> P960RD/F/N, and NOVA 15: PB50EF-G -> PB50RF-G)
- Nvidia GeForce GTX1660Ti and GTX1650 Notebook GPUs that could power the graphics hardware for the MX-Series successors (possibly based Clevo's NH50RC Chassis?) as they are tailored for the mid-range gaming market.
Tripp likes this.

Last edited by Tsurugi_Matsuda; 24-04-2019 at 03:17 AM..
Tsurugi_Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #5120

Woah. Thanks a bunch. Seems like you keep tabs on Clevo chassis.

I was looking at the P-14 Ultraportable that comes with TB3 port. Seems to be a N141ZU chassis.

https://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prode...d=1155&lang=en

Does anyone know if we can charge the notebook (or any Aftershock
notebooks) via TB3 port using USB-C high powered charger?

Some reviews:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/thre...lounge.815861/
Old 25-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #5121

to my knowledge no clevo laptop supports USB-C charging

note that whether the USB port is TB3 or not has no impact on this.

The charging protocol for such things is USB-PD not thunderbolt
Old 26-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #5122

Looks like Aftershock have updated their notebooks with the new 9th Gen CPUs.

Does the Forge models use the same chassis as MX series?
Old 27-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #5123

Looks like Aftershock have updated their notebooks with the new 9th Gen CPUs.

Does the Forge models use the same chassis as MX series?
the forge is new cos you can see the lid has more design accents while the MX used to be more plain and understated
Old 02-05-2019, 08:08 PM   #5124
Supremacy Member

HELP!!!

all of a sudden the keyboard of my SM17 (GTX 960m) is not working.
the hotkey functions (Fn + F1-F12) works so it is not a hardware problem.

any idea where can i download the keyboard driver to reinstall?
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #5125

Hi Guys,
I am planning to get a Aftershock laptop.
Probably going to play "Division 2" with it.
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 1650 graphic card is good enough for it? cause if can I will just get the Forge series.
If not I will probably get the Apex lite.
Looking to get something just enough for normal usage and play Division 2 only.
Not a hardcore gamer.
Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Sent from HUAWEI ELE-L29 using GAGT
Destiny108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:35 PM   #5126

Hi Guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows if the 1650 graphic card is good enough for it? cause if can I will just get the Forge series.
Not a hardcore gamer.

The 1650 is sort of successor to 1050

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA....416044.0.html

so if you look at performance levels it may struggle with a game like division 2 at above-medium settings.

division 2 has open world environment to handle in processing workload, so compared to something like Battlefield V even if both games look like high end graphics titles, division will tax your system more
Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #5127

Hi Guys,
Not a hardcore gamer.

The 1650 is roughly similar to a 1060 MAX Q laptop variant.

For context, my Prime 15 with GTX 1060(full) struggles to handle Division 2 at high settings(bad stutters and fps drops if i played at high). The game's really only playable at medium settings. Also thanks to the game being so bloody badly optimised for laptop hardware. So expect similar-worse performance.

Tom Clancy GRW:
Same underwhelming performance where I'm forced to play at medium settings on 1080p to even maintain 60FPS, and I still get occasional FPS stutters. But to be fair I noticed it leans more towards CPU bottlenecking where apparently my 7700HQ cant handle this game.

Your safest bet for high-ultra future proof gaming at AAA titles for the next 2-3 years is at LEAST 2060 or 2070, the 16 series laptop GPUs just wont cut it. Especially with the new RTX trend games will be following in the future.

Seeing the mid-tier GTX 1060 underperform so badly in new AAA titles in less than 2 years(since 2017) has left a bitter taste in my mouth lol.

Last edited by narkizy; 11-05-2019 at 09:50 PM..
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #5128

was checking the clevo site and notice theres a PB70

strange how aftershock didnt use that for the nova 17 since I assumed Novas will be the PB series.

The recent 2019 nova 17 is using the same chassis as the old W17 which is that kind of gigantic practically-not-portable form factor. So basically the naming scheme is all over the place now (starting to miss the old days when we only had to deal with MX, S and W series)

example of the PB70 sold by sager
https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8371.html

it looks to be about 3 kilos which is definitely a weight difference you can feel compared to carrying the nova 17

i guess maybe one can argue that the tongfang 17 inch model overlaps too much with clevo PB70 maybe thats why the latter isnt in aftershock's lineup

Last edited by chiaRH; 07-06-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Old 13-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #5129

strange how aftershock didnt use that for the nova 17 since I assumed Novas will be the PB series.

The recent 2019 nova 17 is using the same chassis as the old W17 which is that kind of gigantic practically-not-portable form factor. So basically the naming scheme is all over the place now (starting to miss the old days when we only had to deal with MX, S and W series)

it looks to be about 3 kilos which is definitely a weight difference you can feel compared to carrying the nova 17

i guess maybe one can argue that the tongfang 17 inch model overlaps too much with clevo PB70 maybe thats why the latter isnt in aftershock's lineup
The biggest issue is that BOTH the PB51EF-G (NOVA 15) and the P775TM1-G (NOVA 17) have two things in common: Biometric Recognition (the former like the SLATE Series is on the glass itself, while the latter has a dedicated scanner on the top-left corner of the track pad from the W-Series) and a dedicated Thunderbolt 3 Port.

Also in the US, Sager's own iterations of the PB series has another feature that other models lack: 4K 2160p OLED Display.

Also, it also meant that only the NOVA Series would have the Thunderbolt 3 port installed inside, although it may change once the Ice Lake/Comet Lake Series of CPUs are made available, as their supporting motherboards would include full Thunderbolt 3 Controller built-in (which Intel announced pre-Computex when they announced thelaunch of the 10nm Ice Lake-U Processors). Even the newly-launched LUNAR 14 (succeeds the P-14 Helix which is based N140WU) loaded with Whiskey Lake-U and MX250 GPU has omitted the Thunderbolt 3 port present on the P-14 Helix, meaning the Akitio eGPU casing sold previously becomes literally unworkable with the new laptop. It is unknown at the moment which chassis is used for the LUNAR 14, but I won't be surprised if this ultra portable could be updated with the upcoming Core i7-1065G7 GPU soon.
Old 13-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #5130

HELP!!!

all of a sudden the keyboard of my SM17 (GTX 960m) is not working.
the hotkey functions (Fn + F1-F12) works so it is not a hardware problem.

any idea where can i download the keyboard driver to reinstall?
Try this site (or copy link to your browser if not click able): https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-servic...ad/default.asp
To find the chassis the SM-17 is based upon, look for the label attached to the BOTTOM COVER of your laptop and search for that Model Number written on that label.
If I'm not wrong, SM-17's chassis is based N170SD, but do check to be sure.

Last edited by Tsurugi_Matsuda; 13-06-2019 at 04:51 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.