AFTERSHOCK PC - Now featuring Nvidia 10 series graphics cards!

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Many keys not registering. I found a trick to press around spacebar area will make it register, just press that area those keys can type as usual. My guess ah... The battery went bloated and somehow pressed against the keyboard, may have caused the ribbon to damage and eventually causing bad contact/not registering strokes. The trick still work right now if I need to use the keyboard but most of the time I'm running on external keyboard already since the laptop is now basically a desktop with the battery taken out.
isnt battery closer to like the top area? my 1 bottom right think the hdd area, always super hot.

the control centre often when start pc, will say need restart for changes to take effect.

certain keys always not registering.

the port that plug in power always come loose easily so removing battery is not an option.

but then again my first unit, sm15, has so many issues within the first 2yrs of usage AS out of goodwill do a 1for1 exchange and gave me one of their boss' personal number if any technical problem can contact him.
this 1 use until afew liaos ba. luckily this 1 aside from the above problems that start appearing aft 2yr+ usage, still usable.

TheOutsider

Reaction score
isnt battery closer to like the top area? my 1 bottom right think the hdd area, always super hot.

the control centre often when start pc, will say need restart for changes to take effect.

certain keys always not registering.

the port that plug in power always come loose easily so removing battery is not an option.

but then again my first unit, sm15, has so many issues within the first 2yrs of usage AS out of goodwill do a 1for1 exchange and gave me one of their boss' personal number if any technical problem can contact him.
this 1 use until afew liaos ba. luckily this 1 aside from the above problems that start appearing aft 2yr+ usage, still usable.
Not sure yours what model. Mine Prime 15, opened up, near the top (near display hinge), it's all heat sink and fans + motherboard below only. Battery is just next to HDD below the keyboard area, the whole stretch from the left to the right of touchpad.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/e/4/csm_fireks_23_66a00ececa.jpg

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score

TheOutsider

Reaction score
mine is same as urs.

oh so its the battery that get ******* hot. always bottom right below the numpad damn hot
Take a look at your chassis see got deform or not. Most likely the battery bloated already. I removed mine for quite sometime d maybe I should throw it away rather than keeping it inside my room become a hazard.

razorlala

Banned
Reaction score
Take a look at your chassis see got deform or not. Most likely the battery bloated already. I removed mine for quite sometime d maybe I should throw it away rather than keeping it inside my room become a hazard.
maybe should go buy a similar battery can replace it. at least when power fall out wont power off.

TheOutsider

Reaction score
maybe should go buy a similar battery can replace it. at least when power fall out wont power off.

Battery model is P950BAT-4. Replacement I just checked about $70++. I don't see the need though. Never really bring it out from home since the battery size actually too small. 7700HQ not efficient to run long enough on the battery. Rarely got need to use it on the go too. Keeping it this way without the battery.

If you're worried about power fall out, I suggest just put a small UPS connect to the extension for your PC/Laptop(without battery) haha. Cost 150++ though.

TheOutsider

Reaction score
Prime 15 i7 7700 HQ + GTX1060

First year - 2017 - BSOD keep happening, can't reproduce when at AS, found out it's the memory that's having issue (is it Crucial memory that AS using?)
First year - found casing creak to the left of the motherboard, AS said chasis design nothing can be done
Second year - BSOD continued happening, the rest pretty normal
Third year - 1 month after Warranty - Found out some keys not working - went to AS, quoted replacement keyboard at $99 (Can't really remember TBH) - decided to not replace
Fourth year - more keys went dead, found out pressing the area slightly below spacebar helps with the key recognizing
Fourth year - found out that the chasis deformed, decided to open it up, found bloated battery (always used on charger and charger only, running on battery < 20 times
Fourth year - fan started giving some noise sometimes, opened up found out 1 GPU fan not turning freely already, went down to AS asking for a service, was informed need to wait 3-5 days for the service (due to exponential growth of number of customers, compared to instant 1-2 hours on the spot service few years earlier) - decided not to wait, was busy at that time too
Fourth year - finally did a memory diagnostic after numerous BSOD finding out that it's the memory that's causing the BSOD all this while - replaced 1x 8GB DDR4 SODIMM, BSOD went away
End of Fourth year (this year) - HDD starting showing sign of aging and making sound - was working alright then suddenly stopped transferring files - still able to see file list but hardly getting any files copied - read head issue likely
Into Fifth year - the GPU fan stopped working properly suddenly giving super loud noise one day, can't even game a bit it will start making that screeching sound once temp > 70c.

My experience with Aftershock.

One good thing though, when I asked AS about the price of getting the GPU fan repaired, they asked to send it in for a Free Service. Will I get a free fan replacement? Fingers-crossed.

TL;DR

I will go back to a main brand laptop if I ever decide to change my Prime 15. Its performance is still more than capable for my usage but all the build/quality issues made it a let down for me. 50:50 for their service, got good and bad.

Me again, just did a service 2 days back at AS. Checked with customer support and ensure I can get back the laptop same day before heading down. Managed to get it serviced in about 2.5 hours.

Good thing, they helped cleaned up and helped redo thermal paste on my Prime 15. They have also found the faulty/aged fan so screeching sound is now gone. Not sure whether is it due to them cleaning up my heatsinks area, my laptop feels like putting out a lot more air, a little more audible noise from the movement of air. Much better temps.

Good experience for this.

Besides that, AS quoted ~$104 for replacement battery, forgot to ask for the keyboard. Let's see how long more can my Prime 15 i7-7700HQ can last. Sad to know 7th gen is left behind by Windows 11.

francoronnie

Reaction score
Based on what you typed, aftershock had already been damn nice Liao. I’ve no idea what’s the complain.

Go back then to your mainstream brands, and see what happens after the first couple of years even if you still have warranty.
I owned 4 laptops b4 from global brands only 1 got spoilt before use 3-4 years each btw

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prime 15 i7 7700 HQ + GTX1060

First year - 2017 - BSOD keep happening, can't reproduce when at AS, found out it's the memory that's having issue (is it Crucial memory that AS using?)
First year - found casing creak to the left of the motherboard, AS said chasis design nothing can be done
Second year - BSOD continued happening, the rest pretty normal
Third year - 1 month after Warranty - Found out some keys not working - went to AS, quoted replacement keyboard at $99 (Can't really remember TBH) - decided to not replace
Fourth year - more keys went dead, found out pressing the area slightly below spacebar helps with the key recognizing
Fourth year - found out that the chasis deformed, decided to open it up, found bloated battery (always used on charger and charger only, running on battery < 20 times
Fourth year - fan started giving some noise sometimes, opened up found out 1 GPU fan not turning freely already, went down to AS asking for a service, was informed need to wait 3-5 days for the service (due to exponential growth of number of customers, compared to instant 1-2 hours on the spot service few years earlier) - decided not to wait, was busy at that time too
Fourth year - finally did a memory diagnostic after numerous BSOD finding out that it's the memory that's causing the BSOD all this while - replaced 1x 8GB DDR4 SODIMM, BSOD went away
End of Fourth year (this year) - HDD starting showing sign of aging and making sound - was working alright then suddenly stopped transferring files - still able to see file list but hardly getting any files copied - read head issue likely
Into Fifth year - the GPU fan stopped working properly suddenly giving super loud noise one day, can't even game a bit it will start making that screeching sound once temp > 70c.

My experience with Aftershock.

One good thing though, when I asked AS about the price of getting the GPU fan repaired, they asked to send it in for a Free Service. Will I get a free fan replacement? Fingers-crossed.

TL;DR

I will go back to a main brand laptop if I ever decide to change my Prime 15. Its performance is still more than capable for my usage but all the build/quality issues made it a let down for me. 50:50 for their service, got good and bad.
Didnt know qc sucks.

FarkMahLife

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aftershock W15 Lite i5:

- Noticed the issue at around 1pm suddenly turned black
- When phone torch light is shined on the laptop monitor can still see the desktop icons
- When connected to an external monitor, the external monitor does show display
- Keyboard everything is working, even turning up and down the brightness setting
- Tried with and without battery, issue still persists.

Diagnosis: laptop monitor backlight is spoiled, but I could be wrong

Anyone knows a good shop to get it fixed? or should I just get an entirely new laptop instead?

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aftershock W15 Lite i5:

- Noticed the issue at around 1pm suddenly turned black
- When phone torch light is shined on the laptop monitor can still see the desktop icons
- When connected to an external monitor, the external monitor does show display
- Keyboard everything is working, even turning up and down the brightness setting
- Tried with and without battery, issue still persists.

Diagnosis: laptop monitor backlight is spoiled, but I could be wrong

Anyone knows a good shop to get it fixed? or should I just get an entirely new laptop instead?
Still under warranty? This is confirmed the LCD backlight problem. Ask for quotation from them and shops in SLS. See the price first. What's the spec of your laptop?

FarkMahLife

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still under warranty? This is confirmed the LCD backlight problem. Ask for quotation from them and shops in SLS. See the price first. What's the spec of your laptop?
sadly warranty expired alr.. i always thought AS is lifelong warranty idk read from where also LOL. quotation from their facebook messenger was 100-200 bucks with 5-7 days downtime which is abit too long for me i feel... i think this backlight issue from what i see i can fix within 1 or 2 hours one lol. how much do you think SLS will be?

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
WIN 10 home installed
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics
1TB SSD

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sadly warranty expired alr.. i always thought AS is lifelong warranty idk read from where also LOL. quotation from their facebook messenger was 100-200 bucks with 5-7 days downtime which is abit too long for me i feel... i think this backlight issue from what i see i can fix within 1 or 2 hours one lol. how much do you think SLS will be?

Specs:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
WIN 10 home installed
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 Graphics
1TB SSD
Get quotation from SLS also then u compare and see. If you good with your hands, buy the part from aliexpress and do yourself? Lifetime warranty is only for the cleaning of laptop part (cleaning fans and reapplying thermal paste).

FarkMahLife

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Get quotation from SLS also then u compare and see. If you good with your hands, buy the part from aliexpress and do yourself? Lifetime warranty is only for the cleaning of laptop part (cleaning fans and reapplying thermal paste).
been googling and asking around some of the repairs but not yet go down SLS and ask for quotes. most of them also quite similar price to AS svc centre but will lesser downtime? unfortunately not so good with my hands hahaha but from yt videos it seems the process quite simple just change and solder on only. ahh okay thanks for the notice! if i head down AS might as well ask them clean + reapply at the same time

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Based on what you typed, aftershock had already been damn nice Liao. I’ve no idea what’s the complain.

Go back then to your mainstream brands, and see what happens after the first couple of years even if you still have warranty.
Late to reply. Asus after 1 year of warranty, replacing battery alone is in the region of 160 bucks. Diagnosis alone also they might charge. That your battery bloat or damage after 4 years is quite ok. My Asus battery died after 2 years. I bought a replacement and installed myself for 80 bucks. It's also quite common for dell. My work laptop's battery I need to replace every 1-2 years. GPU fan issues, etc - advice is to open up and clean out the dust every year or so. Not difficult. Got fan, use long sure will clog up. All things considered, that they even entertain you 4 years into the purchase I consider that good service.

Justinny

Reaction score
Hi anyone have used the vapor 15 pro? How is it in terms of performance and reliability?

I'm interested as is lightweight about 2kg.

Vincent Tan

Reaction score
Thermo feels high, CPU temperature easily above 61 degree without much load. Average usage 71 to 80 degree, mainly running VMs. Why not consider Apex 15S running on 12th gen Alderlake.

孤单老人

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.