HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #136

We can expect idle battery life to be less than Intel as they are still not as efficient at lower clock rates. But for low to medium consistant usage of processor, we can expect similar battery life as Intel, minus a few percent.You can refer to those benchmarks from e480reviews, assuming similar components are used.

However, take note a processor battery usage can be as low as 1/4 of a system, therefore the LCD panel, igp and mainboard battery usage is of importance as well.
Singboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #137
Arch-Supremacy Member

We can expect idle battery life to be less than Intel as they are still not as efficient at lower clock rates. But for low to medium consistant usage of processor, we can expect similar battery life as Intel, minus a few percent.You can refer to those benchmarks from e480reviews, assuming similar components are used.

However, take note a processor battery usage can be as low as 1/4 of a system, therefore the LCD panel, igp and mainboard battery usage is of importance as well.
Lenovo mentioned that it's up to 13 hours. So without intense gaming I expect it to last at least 9 hours

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT
Just Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #138

Lenovo mentioned that it's up to 13 hours. So without intense gaming I expect it to last at least 9 hours

I will not put too much stock into that...... Cheaper LCDs and wifi card does not translate to better power efficencies.

Based on a 45wh battery, with an expected 6 to 8 watt usage, I think 6-7 hours usage is about right.

If you switch off wifi, read only PDFs and at low brightness, then maybe 8 to 10 hrs.

On the bright side, a "USB PD" power bank can charge the laptop.
Old 22-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #139
Arch-Supremacy Member

You should take what they market with a lot of salt. So far, I have seen many optimistic claims, but fell far short. Reasonably, you should see at least 6 plus hours with light usage. Intense gaming, the numbers will plunge to about an hour or 2 max.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #140
Arch-Supremacy Member

At load, I suspect the Intel based E480/580 may experience shorter battery life as it needs to supply the dedicated GPU with additional power.
Old 22-07-2018, 11:03 PM   #141

At load, I suspect the Intel based E480/580 may experience shorter battery life as it needs to supply the dedicated GPU with additional power.
erm... depends on what kind of load you are talking about. CPU load? Games? Videos Transcoding?

If doing heavy gaming or video transcoding, I doubt anybody will expect more than 2.5 hours on either the e485 amd or e480 intel with graphics, which makes the discussion on battery life irrelevant. An extra 20 mins of battery is not going to bring much value. The dedicated graphics don't kick in unless the IGP cannot handle.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #142
Arch-Supremacy Member

I wonder if this model really isn't selling well.. not even a single youtube review so far..
Old 23-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #143
High Supremacy Member

I wonder if this model really isn't selling well.. not even a single youtube review so far..
This model E485 is not sold worldwide, only certain country have.
Which shockingly SG is among them to have it.
Most Thinkpad user will opt for Intel than AMD.

Review may come like from Notebookcheck website.
But I think maybe within the next 6 months or so.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #144
Arch-Supremacy Member

In 6 months, this model will be considered obsolete

Old 23-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #145
Greater Supremacy Member

aiya most consumers have been brainwashed that AMD CPU is inferior and heat up.
Old 23-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #146

Mine is shipped!
Old 23-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #147
High Supremacy Member

aiya most consumers have been brainwashed that AMD CPU is inferior and heat up.
Yes that is the common perception about AMD.
Hot and slow.
But that is like very long long ago.
Old 23-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #148
Arch-Supremacy Member

erm... depends on what kind of load you are talking about. CPU load? Games? Videos Transcoding?

If doing heavy gaming or video transcoding, I doubt anybody will expect more than 2.5 hours on either the e485 amd or e480 intel with graphics, which makes the discussion on battery life irrelevant. An extra 20 mins of battery is not going to bring much value. The dedicated graphics don't kick in unless the IGP cannot handle.
For heavy gaming, I am pretty sure it won't last for more than an hour and a half unless it throttles both CPU and GPU. Some laptops do that when running on battery.

While dedicated graphics don't kick in at idle, the GPU still needs power to allow it to switch quickly. Also in this case, we are looking at an AMD GPU in the E480 with Intel processor. The last I heard, AMD drivers to allow iGPU and dGPU switching is not as refine as what we find with Nvidia.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #149
Arch-Supremacy Member

Pricing increased by 100 now
Like that not worth buying anymore

Old 24-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #150
Arch-Supremacy Member

Looking at Lenovo website now still have promo code "amd18".

Now option for Ryzen 3 and 7!

Ryzen 3 minus $90
Ryzen 7 plus $80.
s7460597 is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.