AMD Ryzen NB Discussion| Lenovo Thinkpad E495/E595/T495/X395 Well-rounder performance CPU + GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have the latest Dell XPS 9300 and it is hot AF even with the dual heatsink or whatever.

A bit regret paying so much for this. The saving grace is that Dell support is awesome. I accidentally scratched my screen somehow and broke my microsd slot (long story--for some reason, my microSD card kept getting stuck inside) and dell is replacing them for free under accidental damage...

I actually considered XPS13 before settling down for the thinkpad X395.

Apparently XPS' standards have dropped and quality too..

and the price is not worth it according to a few people I spoke to.

so probably need to search for vendor that has dual fans + good screen for the renoir 4k then?

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
4k on renoir?

i'll still take a great full HD screen for now.
at 14 or 15 inch. 4k still is overkill :o

unless the battery can max out on the laptop which i don't think they will.

hopefully one day integrated graphics will be so good that great screens with fast refresh rate will be the norm.

We will likely see more benefits for the avg consumer over 4k :o

Last edited:
Reaction score
4k on renoir?

i'll still take a great full HD screen for now.
at 14 or 15 inch. 4k still is overkill :o

unless the battery can max out on the laptop which i don't think they will.

hopefully one day integrated graphics will be so good that great screens with fast refresh rate will be the norm.

We will likely see more benefits for the avg consumer over 4k :o

ok la even phone also have 4k display

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperi..._first_sony_with_triple_camera-news-35649.php

randomA

Reaction score
I actually considered XPS13 before settling down for the thinkpad X395.

Apparently XPS' standards have dropped and quality too..

and the price is not worth it according to a few people I spoke to.

honesty, hows the screen panel on the tp x395?
i remember most thinkpads (like those in my office) have absolute garbage screen panels.

Ye_Rongtian

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
honesty, hows the screen panel on the tp x395?
i remember most thinkpads (like those in my office) have absolute garbage screen panels.

Your office using IPS or TN panel? Upgrade to FHD and it will be IPS. If using HD only it is TN and TN is garbage

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tbh, I don't see the point of 4K on a laptop. drains too much battery. 2k also considered too much alr on such a small screen..

True even on IGP it is still demanding.
1080p will do fine for most laptop, if need 4K just use external monitor.
Anyway for 4K smaller the screen size, amount of detail isn't very obvious.

Recommend size for 4K contents is 50" and above.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your office using IPS or TN panel? Upgrade to FHD and it will be IPS. If using HD only it is TN and TN is garbage

Thinkpad IPS is garbage too and TN should not be an option at all. They need to do better, screen is something you look at daily.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so probably need to search for vendor that has dual fans + good screen for the renoir 4k then?

Why do you need a 4K laptop screen though? Even at 1440p, you will need to scale the image up by 200% to see properly, and that is if Windows can scale it correctly. 4K in my opinion is not useful on a laptop.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thinkpad IPS is garbage too and TN should not be an option at all. They need to do better, screen is something you look at daily.

You can get up to an OLED screen on ThinkPads if you think the IPS is bad. At the top end range, they will use good IPS screen. At the mid and low end, don't expect them to give you super good screens. Higher backlight, yes, but color reproduction is still going to be just average.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have the latest Dell XPS 9300 and it is hot AF even with the dual heatsink or whatever.

A bit regret paying so much for this. The saving grace is that Dell support is awesome. I accidentally scratched my screen somehow and broke my microsd slot (long story--for some reason, my microSD card kept getting stuck inside) and dell is replacing them for free under accidental damage...

I guess it is a side effect of being extremely thin. But thanks for the heads up.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

4K is still uncommon on mobile phone. So far only Sony have been pushing out mobile phones with 4K screen to try and differentiate themselves. However, I don't find it a meaningful upgrade. People would like 4K screen for watching movies or playing games in higher definition. In both use cases, I won't want to use a 6 to 7 inch mobile phone if given a choice.

Also the mobile OS handles the image scaling very well. This is not the case with Windows. It works in most cases, but when it does not work with say and older application, you are left with super small image/ fonts which you cannot read due to the size.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can get up to an OLED screen on ThinkPads if you think the IPS is bad. At the top end range, they will use good IPS screen. At the mid and low end, don't expect them to give you super good screens. Higher backlight, yes, but color reproduction is still going to be just average.

I don't need OLED I just want a good IPS, is that not fair enough? I am always buying AMD thinkpad yearly since ryzen. If they put amd in 1 carbon or p2 wokstation I will by it.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't need OLED I just want a good IPS, is that not fair enough? I am always buying AMD thinkpad yearly since ryzen. If they put amd in 1 carbon or p2 wokstation I will by it.

Which doesn't make sense to me. If you feel the monitor is not great, you have the option not to buy from Lenovo isn't it? Instead you buy them yearly for a product that does not suit one of your main requirement.

Having a decent screen is one of the key requirements for me as well, though I suppose my expectation is not as high as yours. As long as it is not a crappy TN or HD resolution screen, I think it is good enough for me considering that I am not paying top dollars for it. The E485 has got a pretty alright screen to me, though I am disappointed with the super dim screen. I can still accept it because I paid below 700 bucks for it, knowing very well that 700 bucks can only get me laptops with super low end specs in the Intel camp.

Anyway, I think it is likely you won't see AMD chips in high end models anytime soon. Intel made sure of that.

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so actually which ultrabook is good
or we should not go them.. just get those that are a tad bigger?

Tbh. Ultrabook usually will skimp somewhere just to make it thin and light. And usually it is the cooling department cause it is the biggest. It is also design to throttle when it hit high temps.

Usually people buy ultrabook is really for portability, the rest is just a bonus.

To me my first notebook is from compaq. And those days a 14inch lappy is minimally 2.4kg. Now even the E595 that i just bought, a 15inch is even lighter than the older ones. And i dont find 1.7kg heavy to even carry around anymore.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so actually which ultrabook is good
or we should not go them.. just get those that are a tad bigger?

It depends on what you are looking out for. If it is portability, Ultrabook is an option. If not Ultrabook, then you need to ask yourself what is an acceptable weight for you. For performance, Ultrabook is certainly out of the question.

In my case, I have a laptop for work and in case I need to bring it out. For heavy load, I leave it to my desktop. I am fine with a heavier laptop, i.e. over 2kg. As long as I can use it comfortably and the battery life is decent, I am good.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Saving few hundred grams to sacrifice the number of ports, money n reduced specs is definitely a no no for most

Sent from Rem Best Grill using GAGT

Actually I don't think this is true. If there is no market for ultra portables, then most companies will not go through the trouble of creating and designing more Ultrabooks. Think how well Apple is selling their Macbook Air and Macbooks and you get a sense.

I do agree with you I am no fan of being dependent on dongles for connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.