HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

AMD Ryzen NB Pricing | Lenovo Thinkpad E485/585 AMD Ryzen under $1k a steal?

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #1501
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyway, I just wanted to check what is the idle and load temps that people are getting on this laptop with a Ryzen 5 please? I wanted to do a comparison before and after, but now I don't remember how hot it used to run.

I've not reapply the thermal compound again, but I did noticed that the temps run high as a result of initial high CPU usage. I did noticed that the clockspeed seems to hold above 2.2 Ghz in most cases, 200Mhz higher than the base clock, with short boost to over 3Ghz.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #1502
High Supremacy Member

What thermal paste did you apply?
ArcticCheetah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 10:19 PM   #1503
Arch-Supremacy Member

What thermal paste did you apply?
I used Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut.

Anyway, I opened the laptop up again to check. Tighten the screws more to improve the contact. I can feel that the heatpipes heat up really quick throughout including the heatsink, so I think the contact is good. Problem I believe is with the fan profile. The fan only seems to kick in when the laptop hits about 62 to 65 degs, otherwise, it is not spinning at all. Also I noticed slight coil whine, which I initially thought was due to the fan. But I observed the fan was not spinning and the slight humming sound is not coming from the fan.

Last edited by watzup_ken; 19-02-2019 at 10:22 PM..
Old 19-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #1504
High Supremacy Member

Today I opened up my laptop and to install a hard drive and decided to apply some after market thermal compound to see if it will help bring down the heat. Taking the heatsink off is very easy, just loosen the 4 screws holding the heatsink to the processor, and a light pull and the entire heatsink and fan will pop out. Just be careful of the fan power cable because they look very thin and flimsy. Anyway, I think I may not have installed the heatsink back well cause seems to be getting very hot. Like at idle, its 60+ degs, and easily hit 80 degs. Haha. Not sure why the CPU seems to be working very hard. Anyway, more work to do before I update again.
If temp not improving, suggest try another thermal compound like Noctua.
Can get from SLS.
Tip to secure back the heat stink correctly.
You have to secure the screws diagonally.
This is to ensure proper pressure so the heat sink is secure to the CPU.
Meaning top right to lower left and etc.
techidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #1505
Arch-Supremacy Member

Tip to secure back the heat stink correctly.
You have to secure the screws diagonally.
This is to ensure proper pressure so the heat sink is secure to the CPU.
Meaning top right to lower left and etc.
Yes, I did this. Thermal compound wise, I believe the Thermal Grizzly is one of the best out there other than liquid metal. It worked well with my graphic card, so I thought might as well use it on the laptop.
Old 20-02-2019, 12:35 PM   #1506
High Supremacy Member

A good estimate of improvement will be idle temperature.
ArcticCheetah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #1507
Supremacy Member

Many factors can cause wild fluctuations. Thermal profiles can be finicky. On my Dell, if I wake it up on battery, it will sometimes throttle itself to a certain frequency (e.g. 1.89 of 3.46GHz).

Plugging in and out the charger will cause it to "remember" that it can turbo and now it turbos all the way even on battery. Results in higher temps too.
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #1508
Arch-Supremacy Member

I cannot really ascertain whether it's poor contact here. The temps can swing from 45 to 80 degs all of a sudden. In this case, the entire heatpipe and heatsink is very hot. So I don't really think its a contact issue. But I will revalidate it by removing and reapplying a fresh new coat of thermal compound later this week.
Old 20-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #1509
Arch-Supremacy Member

Anyway before I start tearing it apart again, anyone can share their idle and load temps please? I tested mine in a non-airconditioned room. Temp as per probe is about 29 degs. For mine, it idles at 45 minimal and loads to about 80 to 82 degs.
Old 20-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #1510
Supremacy Member

Actually, measuring idle temps might not be the best yardstick.

Most modern laptops will put the fan into fully passive mode and fan spin can be triggered anywhere from high 40s to around 60c depending on the motherboard. So you can get possibly higher idles on a better paste and lower idles on a poorer paste (while the reverse is likely true under load)

So temperatures at the same load will be ideal. At the same time, thermal grizzly's viscosity changes at 'out of tube' and steady state after thermal cycling. It'll "dry" noticeably and that's expected behaviour, overapply is a must.

I do recall Roman Hartung (der8auer) who's basically thermal grizzly saying somewhere the paste longevity shortens at the high 70s. In contrast for notebooks, I'd lean towards moderate or high viscosity pastes like NTH1/NTH2 and Gelid. High viscosity ones tend to work better with low mounting pressure (i.e. laptops)
Encrypted11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #1511
Arch-Supremacy Member

Actually, measuring idle temps might not be the best yardstick.

Most modern laptops will put the fan into fully passive mode and fan spin can be triggered anywhere from high 40s to around 60c depending on the motherboard. So you can get possibly higher idles on a better paste and lower idles on a poorer paste (while the reverse is likely true under load)

So temperatures at the same load will be ideal. At the same time, thermal grizzly's viscosity changes at 'out of tube' and steady state after thermal cycling. It'll "dry" noticeably and that's expected behaviour, overapply is a must.

I do recall Roman Hartung (der8auer) who's basically thermal grizzly saying somewhere the paste longevity shortens at the high 70s. In contrast for notebooks, I'd lean towards moderate or high viscosity pastes like NTH1/NTH2 and Gelid. High viscosity ones tend to work better with low mounting pressure (i.e. laptops)
Yeah, I did figure that it will be difficult to gauge since it is not going to be an apple to apple compare.

As for the overapplying, point noted. I wasn't aware, and applied a thin layer on it as what I used to do with Arctic MX4.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #1512

Anyway before I start tearing it apart again, anyone can share their idle and load temps please? I tested mine in a non-airconditioned room. Temp as per probe is about 29 degs. For mine, it idles at 45 minimal and loads to about 80 to 82 degs.
Ryzen 5 in a E585

Non air con room

Idle 45, load 84

On stock thermal paste from factory
kangdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #1513
Arch-Supremacy Member

Ryzen 5 in a E585

Non air con room

Idle 45, load 84

On stock thermal paste from factory
Thank you Kangdi. At least I know whatever I've done is not making it worst.
Old 23-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #1514

Intel AC 9260 Down - 300mbps Up - 600mbps in recent tests on my E585. Anybody else experiencing such disparity btw up vs down?
saddams wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #1515
Master Member

Strange their public price and Edu price starts at $660 for E585?

Thought Edu should be cheaper?
frizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.