HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Any advice on Dell XPS 13 vs Inspiron 7000 vs Latitute 7000 vs Asus Zenbook?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Question Any advice on Dell XPS 13 vs Inspiron 7000 vs Latitute 7000 vs Asus Zenbook?

Anyone can give comments on the mentioned notebooks?

From what I gathered, the hardware specs for Dell XPS, Inspiron and Latitude are now almost on par for the 13" touchscreen 2-in-1 ultrabook models. Seems only Inspiron is 3 years warranty up front, the rest is 1 year up front I think.

XPS is considered best of class, Inspiron is consumer/home office, Latitude is for office use. If the specs are almost on par, then what's the diff with these 3 models? Latitude gives Wins 10 Pro by default, but software diff not my consideration.

I'm waiting for the Inspiron refresh coming out around May. XPS 9380 is my first choice though. The new Latitude 7400 also looks interesting.

Zenbook is another one I'm looking at. Cheaper than Dell with similar specs. More worth as compared to Dell? 2 years international warranty.

Not considering Lenovo, Acer, Huawei and Apple. Anybody can give some advice on the above models? Thanks!

Last edited by gregkwan; 24-03-2019 at 10:28 AM..
gregkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

XPS - Top model for Performance
Inspiron - Home use
Latitude - Business use, longer parts availability
Zenbook - The warranty is carry in for what I know
and not extendable unlike Dell.

What is your usage?
Do you need 2 in 1 laptop or just a normal laptop?
Old 24-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

You can drop Inspiron imo. Only XPS, Latitude and Zenbook for consideration.

Zenbook doesn't have touchscreen (I think Zenbook Pro might have).. it does depend what you want.

I use the Latitude in office and the Zenbook for personal. Both very solid devices. Latitude being an office laptop feels a bit more "rigid" without the special consumer features. Haven't used XPS, felt it was a bit overpriced.

As what the previous poster said, it depends what you want.
mdsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #4

You can drop Inspiron imo. Only XPS, Latitude and Zenbook for consideration.

Zenbook doesn't have touchscreen (I think Zenbook Pro might have).. it does depend what you want.

I use the Latitude in office and the Zenbook for personal. Both very solid devices. Latitude being an office laptop feels a bit more "rigid" without the special consumer features. Haven't used XPS, felt it was a bit overpriced.

As what the previous poster said, it depends what you want.

@TS

Agree with what's mentioned here, more or less, but overall, those laptops are not really good for their individual price category. You can get much better deals with other brands (which you don't want to consider).
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

The new Latitude 7400 2-in-1 is not a real Latitude. 1-yr default warranty compared to 3-yrs on the regular 7000 series (72x0/73x0/74x0). No pointstick, no dedicated mouse buttons.

Get a Latitude over the XPS if you want a better keyboard, 180deg hinge and a more rugged laptop.
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

I'm looking for an all rounder business laptop for office and outdoor use, aesthetics wise should have aluminium body. 2-in-1 is a bonus as it increases the mobility outdoors. Durability of parts is one key concern, but I understand nowadays they are not made to last.

My current gen 2 Lenovo X1 carbon is dying out on me, hence my bias against Lenovo. Shortlisted the XPS 9380 at first, as reviews seem to indicate it's the "perfect" laptop. Inspiron specs doesn't seem to be good at first, but the upcoming refresh might change things. Latitude is a bit boring without touch screen, but the 7400 seems to bring it closer to XPS on the frills.

With similar Intel gen 8 specs, I'm not sure what makes them so different such that Inspiron is for home and Latitude for business, and how much better is XPS really? I don't need that extra thin bezel or 4K screen. Is that all the extra to XPS?

For Zenbook, I'm actually looking at the Flip series.
Old 24-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
High Supremacy Member

I'm looking for an all rounder business laptop for office and outdoor use, aesthetics wise should have aluminium body. 2-in-1 is a bonus as it increases the mobility outdoors. Durability of parts is one key concern, but I understand nowadays they are not made to last.

My current gen 2 Lenovo X1 carbon is dying out on me, hence my bias against Lenovo. Shortlisted the XPS 9380 at first, as reviews seem to indicate it's the "perfect" laptop. Inspiron specs doesn't seem to be good at first, but the upcoming refresh might change things. Latitude is a bit boring without touch screen, but the 7400 seems to bring it closer to XPS on the frills.

With similar Intel gen 8 specs, I'm not sure what makes them so different such that Inspiron is for home and Latitude for business, and how much better is XPS really? I don't need that extra thin bezel or 4K screen. Is that all the extra to XPS?

You can consider Surface pro.
Latitude and Inspiron, the chassis, build and etc. are different.
Latitude is build more rigid than Inspiron.

Like Ark Law mentioned the 2 in 1 Latitude isn't a real latitude.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebo...s.98853.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebo...s.98925.0.html
Old 24-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

The Latitude 7490 has touchscreen options, though it'd be an expensive option to pay for (and it's matte, not glossy like all other laptops). Latitude 7390 2-in-1 is the only true Latitude with 360deg.

Inspiron have crappier trackpads and flimsier plastic
XPS has thinner bezels, slimmer profile, prone to thermal throttling, dongle territory
Latitude (3000) and Vostro are rebadged Inspirons
Latitude (5000) fairly robust, less lightweight, 180 deg display
Latitude (7000) robust magnesium alloy plastic, highest travel keyboard, 180 deg display

Last edited by Ark Law; 24-03-2019 at 11:10 PM..
Old 25-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the further inputs, techidiot and Ark Law.

I read that all the laptops mentioned have aluminium chassis, so can't really appreciate the difference in build remarks, but you've reminded me about the trackpad and I forgot that keyboard feel is also a key criteria, which Latitude wins hands down, according to reviews.

After watching a few more video reviews, I realised the hinges are also different. Recent reviews on Inspiron 7000 seems to imply that it's build is close to XPS now, just slightly less compact and weaker battery life. All 4 does come in 2-in-1 as well.

I guess the next best thing is to have a feel on the actual laptops to decide what I want. Btw, my impression of surface pro is it's too thin for office desk use.
Old 25-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

There's always more to it than specs and price. It's how I never understood back in my poly days why a Lenovo IdeaPad with a quad core i7 costed $700 less than the Thinkpad X220 with a dual core i7.

The difference is in the better keyboard, better build quality (to reach higher MTBF rating), better I/O throughout etc. Qualities which are never mentioned by salespeople and rarely mentioned by reviewers.

It's hard to appreciate these qualities until one acclimitises and suddenly drops down. Minor things like screen wobble when typing become immediately apparent when I use my schoolmates' laptops (lots of Asus).

If there's one thing to critic the Latitudes, it's the fingerprint reader. Simply garbage. I wish they integrated it into the power button like the current Inspiron and XPS series.
Old 25-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #11

Qualities which are never mentioned by salespeople and rarely mentioned by reviewers.
Right on! I never believed in sales talk and reviews are getting superficial, especially those on comparisons, pretty biased most of the time...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.