HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Asus VivoBook S510UN sudden performance drop

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2018, 12:42 AM   #16

Cheers! Enjoy your new machine!
P.s. do remember disabled peer to peer windows update!

yup, i was surprised at the extent of impact though. initially, it was a bit laggy (e.g. opening Explorer would be slower on this new PC than my 4-year old one) and i thought it was bloatware from the original Asus installation of Win10

thus I did a clean install of Win10, and I guess the first few runs of the benchmark still had some updates DLing or installing in the background, resulting in an immense hit on performance.

thanks everyone for the kind help!

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

ack i spoke too soon. now its back to the mediocre benchmark scores again, and in regular use its noticeably slower than my old laptop running an i5-3317U processor w 4GB ram

Windows update isn't active, so it doesn't seems like the cause (I disabled p2p updating though). Gonna have to test a bit more over the weekend to see what on earth is wrong.
VanquishShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Supremacy Member

i reset windows again, turned off wifi (so no windows update) and ran the test... again PassMark ratings of around 600~. Very odd.. that out of the blue I could get the 'correct' level of performance at around 3000, then suddenly its back to the mediocre performance again.

During PassMark CPU test, is the CPU supposed to be running at 100% in task manager? From what I can tell, only seems to be at around 20 or 25%
Old 13-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #19
Supremacy Member

Here are my task manager and CPU resource monitor stats, captured during CPU Mark. Doesn't seems like the CPU is anywhere close to full performance?

Old 13-01-2018, 01:06 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

Could it have been Asus bios setting have to do with the CPU side?

Or the themeral throttling that affects it?
ZrE0_Cha0s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #21
Supremacy Member

Could it have been Asus bios setting have to do with the CPU side?

Or the themeral throttling that affects it?
hm nope i just reset the BIOS settings to optimized defaults.

i don't know whether there's some throttling issue going on, but the core is running at a very cool <45 deg C even after CPU mark. it just doesnt seem to push beyond 25% of CPU load.
Old 13-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #22

captured during cpu mark?

the benchmark only uses 1% cpu? i doubt so.
By default, windows uses the balanced power mode. It should be on 0.4 or 0.8ghz if there is no load on it.
Hailgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
Supremacy Member

captured during cpu mark?

the benchmark only uses 1% cpu? i doubt so.
By default, windows uses the balanced power mode. It should be on 0.4 or 0.8ghz if there is no load on it.
1% CPU was right after CPU mark completed, and the rest of the charts (where CPU load was around 20-25% was during CPU mark). It CPU mark didn't even push the CPU to a high enough temp to get the fan to spin up, which I find very strange. The PassMark home page animation (the one with the spinning mobo) puts a heavier load on the system than CPU mark.

I'm also running the Windows Memory Diagnostic test right now, and it's a LOT slower than when i ran it on my old Asus UX31A (which has 4GB of RAM vs 8GB of ram on the new machine, but still).
[edit: it has been more than 30 mins and the Windows Memory Diagnostic test is still at 68%... gosh]

It's all a very strange problem, basically feels like CPU, GFX and Memory are all performing at 1/4 of what their actual perf ought to be.

Last edited by VanquishShadow; 13-01-2018 at 09:46 PM..
Old 13-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #24
Supremacy Member

1% CPU was right after CPU mark completed, and the rest of the charts (where CPU load was around 20-25% was during CPU mark). It CPU mark didn't even push the CPU to a high enough temp to get the fan to spin up, which I find very strange. The PassMark home page animation (the one with the spinning mobo) puts a heavier load on the system than CPU mark.

I'm also running the Windows Memory Diagnostic test right now, and it's a LOT slower than when i ran it on my old Asus UX31A (which has 4GB of RAM vs 8GB of ram on the new machine, but still).
[edit: it has been more than 30 mins and the Windows Memory Diagnostic test is still at 68%... gosh]

It's all a very strange problem, basically feels like CPU, GFX and Memory are all performing at 1/4 of what their actual perf ought to be.
oh my, it took a full 60 mins to run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test!
Old 13-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #25
Supremacy Member

after more testing, i suspect it has something to do with the Power Plan.

In addition to the default Balanced Power plan (which appears as the only available option in the Power Plans settings page), I also created a custom plan based off High Performance, and a custom plan based off Battery Saver.

For all of the plans (And regardless of whether my laptop is plugged in or running on battery), the benchmark scores are the same. This doesn't make sense

Apparently for Surface devices, the default is only to have the Balanced power plan, but for laptops, shouldn't there be the 3 power options available?
Old 14-01-2018, 01:12 PM   #26

only balanced is available.
the rest makes little to no sense so windows 10 hides it to prevent casual users from messing around with it.

Balanced plan is the best of both worlds. i still use throttlestop to control my cpu either way. the plans doesnt make much of a difference.
Hailgod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #27
Supremacy Member

i see. yea i wouldn't expect balanced plan to throttle by so much anyway.

this morning for a brief period the system was working fast, but now its back to the slowpoke mode again. for some reason the max CPU utilization is capped at 22%, even when running benchmark tests. Similar result for both on AC and on battery.

im out of ideas. if i can't figure it out, im going to bring it over to Asus this weekend. On the phone, the rep did tell me that benchmarks scores aren't a valid reason for warranty service, but maybe if I demonstrate that opening windows explorer takes a full 6 seconds....
Old 17-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #28

Lost
Anyone with 8th Gen CPU laptops on hand to verify ?

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #29

I got the S510UN via Hachi Tech around a month ago.

It was generally doing fine, until this week suddenly a big performance drop, everything became noticeably laggier. I thought it was due to bloatware and tried to uninstall McAfee etc., but didn't help. In the end, I did a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Btw, the laptop is running 8th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, MX150 graphics, so its fairly decent.

Then I ran passmark, and I got these results on the S510UN (below). Oh my! Very very bad! Some tests cannot even complete

Compared to my very old Asus UX31A (below), there is definitely something wrong with my new laptop, but I can't figure what is wrong.

Is this sufficient to lodge a case for RMA? I can't pinpoint the failure, but it does seem like there is a hardware issue right? Any advise how to get a successful RMA?

And I'm guessing its just a coincidence with the recent Intel chip Spectre/Meltdown issue?

New S510UN user here too! Bought my laptop on mid Dec 2017 and it worked perfectly fine until last Sunday, where everything start getting slower, ie. it takes longer time to open chrome, check task manager, open file explorer and etc, with additional 4-6 seconds. Worst, my laptop will eventually auto sleep/shutdown despite that I was using it at the moment.

I reset my laptop and the auto sleep/shutdown problem gone. The performance drops improved a little bit, but it is still very obvious that it is slower compare to before this incident.

I not sure if it is due to latest Windows 10 update 1709. Do let us know the outcome after you visited ASUS service center
james112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
Supremacy Member

New S510UN user here too! Bought my laptop on mid Dec 2017 and it worked perfectly fine until last Sunday, where everything start getting slower, ie. it takes longer time to open chrome, check task manager, open file explorer and etc, with additional 4-6 seconds. Worst, my laptop will eventually auto sleep/shutdown despite that I was using it at the moment.

I reset my laptop and the auto sleep/shutdown problem gone. The performance drops improved a little bit, but it is still very obvious that it is slower compare to before this incident.

I not sure if it is due to latest Windows 10 update 1709. Do let us know the outcome after you visited ASUS service center
Great to know I'm not alone! Could you try checking task manager to see whether your CPU utilization can go above 22%
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.