• 1 Post By jyajin
  • 2 Post By narkizy
  • 1 Post By jyajin
  • 2 Post By narkizy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Best Laptops For 3D Rendering + Modeling

Hello everybody.

I am an industrial designer looking for recommendations on laptops that are good enough for the following:

- heavy 3D rendering (ranging from furniture to pop up booth etc.)
- 3D modeling (I use Rhinoceros 5.0 and Keyshot 7.0)
- Photoshop and illustrator

I am concern about the speed of the laptop as I need it to be fast enough for a good render (say 20-30mins?), the graphics (occasional heavy photoshop work) and price should ideally be at most $2000 but I am okay with it being slightly above.

I am currently looking at ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD and Dell Precision M5510 but I am not sure if they are good enough for my requirements. Please let me know if u guys have any suggestions. Thank you!
untitledblanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #2

What are the system requirements required for you task?

You can see benchmarks posted online to see if a certain specification will be sufficient.

I have a friend that bought a old refurbished workstation with 16 core CPU, 256 GB of ram to use for video editing Via chrome remote desktop from his laptop. Spent under 2K for both the laptop and workstation
untitledblanks likes this.
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:16 PM   #3

Hello everybody.

I am an industrial designer looking for recommendations on laptops that are good enough for the following:

I am concern about the speed of the laptop as I need it to be fast enough for a good render (say 20-30mins?), the graphics (occasional heavy photoshop work) and price should ideally be at most $2000 but I am okay with it being slightly above.

I am currently looking at ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD and Dell Precision M5510 but I am not sure if they are good enough for my requirements. Please let me know if u guys have any suggestions. Thank you!
3D rendering is very CPU intensive ie. more cores = better render times. Photoshop will work better with a decent GPU but also utilises alot of CPU.
Both in a laptop package would mean a 6-core i7 8750H CPU and a 1050 at least. 1050ti/1060 would be optimal.

ASUS Vivobook pro 15 N580VD has a 7700HQ quadcore and 1050. It'll be enough, but go for 6-core 8th Gen for much better 3d Rendering and Photoshop performance.

For 2k SGD basically any gaming laptop with a i7 8750H CPU and a 1050-1060 GPU is enough. Dell G7, Lenovo Y530 or Y730 or Aftershock Mx15 is good.

If you want the best quality it'd be the y730 or Dell G7.

Last edited by narkizy; 09-10-2018 at 07:23 PM..
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #4

Excellent discussion. Do dabble a fair bit in simulation softwares and renderings. Apart from the aforementioned recommendations by forumers, I would suggest that you add proper cooling to the equation of requirements.

Slim laptops will thermal throttle - which gets worse as the laptop ages due to degradation of the thermal paste.

Now the trade of for this is > fans = bigger size = heavier weight.

Edit: Ram requirements min. 16gb for your suited needs.

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hello everybody.

Basically, you'll need to look at gaming machines. If you have the budget, top end ones with many cores and huge amount of RAM.
windwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Basically, you'll need to look at gaming machines. If you have the budget, top end ones with many cores and huge amount of RAM.
Got budget restriction: Look at gaming machines (ie GTX gpu)

No budget restriction: Look at workstation machines (ie Quadro ISV certified gpu)
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Supremacy Member

Get the Acer Predator Helios. Big screen (17") good for designer. And huge processing power.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 2 using GAGT
WhyPayMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #8

Got budget restriction: Look at gaming machines (ie GTX gpu)

No budget restriction: Look at workstation machines (ie Quadro ISV certified gpu)
Technically workstation machines are pretty expensive too(unless you dont consider Lenovo)
Old 15-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #9

On rhino 4, using a after shock 17 inch for the screen. Running 1060, pretty ok.

Sent from Travelling with a mad man with a blue box using GAGT
Mystech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

Been reading up on and watching videos of gaming laptops
Seems like no one really know how to solve the heating and cooling issues sioh, next year onwards will be damn jialat unless a breakthrough somewhere occur somehow
jyajin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

Okay I found the ultimate machine liao

edit: oh 3k sgd lol

Last edited by jyajin; 19-10-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Old 19-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #12

Okay I found the ultimate machine liao

edit: oh 3k sgd lol
3k SGD is actually is very good price for the hardware u get. A 8 core cpu that beats the i9, and a dGPU thats similar to the 1070. A i7 with 1070 laptop is priced at the same pricepoint too. Pretty good pricing by acer. If TS is looking for the best portable laptop to do 3d modelling, this is it.
jyajin and untitledblanks like this.

Last edited by narkizy; 19-10-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Old 19-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

3k SGD is actually is very good price for the hardware u get. A 8 core cpu that beats the i9, and a dGPU thats similar to the 1070. A i7 with 1070 laptop is priced at the same pricepoint too. Pretty good pricing by acer. If TS is looking for the best portable laptop to do 3d modelling, this is it.
The only other 8 core I can find is the Asus rog strix gl702zc
Which is currently at around 2.5k SGD but comes with a few caveats so I guess really don't have much choice ba

Old 19-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #14

The only other 8 core I can find is the Asus rog strix gl702zc
Which is currently at around 2.5k SGD but comes with a few caveats so I guess really don't have much choice ba

This would be the 1060(equivalent) version with a older gen 1700. But yeah for some reason intel seems to dominate the laptop market completely. And that too is a very good price for a laptop of that power, damn.

8 cores and a 1060 GPU in a laptop for that price of 2.5k is damn worth
jyajin and untitledblanks like this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.