HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Is it better to wait for Intel Ice Lake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
Supremacy Member

Is it better to wait for Intel Ice Lake?

Or should just heck care and buy one lappy now?
rabbit1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #2

The biggest jump was from 7th gen to 8th gen, since it's a step up from dual core to quad core chips. Unless you're doing really cpu-intensive stuff with your laptop, I doubt you'll ever need hexa core chips. Also, I really doubt we'll see the 9th gen i5s at 6 cores. If you really want to aim for performance, you can get the newer 8th gen refreshed chips. They offer something like 5% more performance than the 8th gen ones (while the original 8th gen offered something like 30% more performance than 7th gen ones).
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

The only benefit ice lake provides is thunderbolt 3 native support. You can just get any whiskey lake laptop with tb3 to enjoy the same features
trenzterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

But being 10nm shouldn't it offer better battery life?
rabbit1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #5

There are ample devices currently out that lasts more than 8 hours on a single charge, which is more than sufficient for 99% of the consumers right now. For those that legit have to use it beyond 8 hours, can invest in those PD power bank. I sincerely doubt 9th gen chips can boost battery life to the likes of 12-13 hours. At least, not in the immediate future.
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

It depends on what Intel is trying to prioritize here. For example, they may target to push the performance envelop over power savings.

Anyway I believe Ice Lake is a "tick" on the broken Intel clock. So I am not expecting a significant improvement over the existing "Skylake" architecture which is still being used by the current 9 series chips. I do think they may improve on their GPU based on some of the rumors.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Or should just heck care and buy one lappy now?
I think the question is do you need one now? If so, then there is clearly no point in waiting since Ice Lake / 10nm is only expected to show up in the later part of the year. And that may not translate to wide availability, which means higher prices.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

RE

yes, Yes and YES!!. I'm waiting too

It comes with WiFi 6 and in-socket protection against spectre and meltdown attacks ie. hardware coding instead of software microcodes

Whisky Lake also has some in-socket protections but much less than that of Ice Lake

Apparatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #9

it all depends on what you expect from your laptop. Even if Ice lake come out the price will be higher vs the current GEN but you dun seem to get many additional features...

So it still lies on you when it comes to the price & product factor.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.