Buying a laptop from Amazon US

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a laptop from Amazon US too , But I'm not sure whether the plug they give will be type G(Singapore plug) or will it be plug A(US plug) so I'm not sure whether I'll need to buy a new charger all together . Please respond to my questions asap as I will be getting the laptop for school soon. Thanks once again!

Charger should be worldwide. But you need a new plug/cable. Not to forget is subject to GST and no warranty coverage too.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
now no more, but if u sign up Amazon SG PrimeNow still can get free shipping..
This is not true. The prime membership that you have for SG is for local SG shipping and the local prime now website doesn't list Amazon US products. The prime now is pretty useless. I didn't find 1 useful product.

Amazon US also has prime membership but that is free US shipping not free international shipping.

So basically no matter what you do you have to pay for SG shipping. But it is not a lot.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Plug will be US type. But you can buy a cheap $1.5 convertor.

Many of my devices are now of US type including my Redmi export phones, my laptop and my Roku streamer. I use the convertor for them.

https://goo.gl/images/cRBuke

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

You use those $1.5 converter only? I thought USA voltage and Singapore voltage different, so still need to buy some step up/down transformer/converter or something?

I think only china products use $1.5 converter enough because same voltage.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Check the specifications, but notebook computers are designed to travel, including internationally. So about 99% of the time their included power adapters are multi-voltage.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do we have to pay 7% GST when the item arrives?

By right is yes, over $400.
To me not worth to buy overseas.
Especially no warranty is a big risk.
Anything wrong either no warranty or
Go through a troublesome RMA.

Most laptop should have universal power adapter except the pin is US, UK or China.
If you got Credit card pay through installment.

Or take a loan to purchase.
Courts flexi plan especially for students are not recommended.
The high interest of 30% along other charges are not worth it.

Niaoson

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone has experience shipping from Walmart?

Tried using ezbuy's address but got rejected..

pkjames

Reaction score
You use those $1.5 converter only? I thought USA voltage and Singapore voltage different, so still need to buy some step up/down transformer/converter or something?

Hi, i am worry about this too. I was searching for an answer for this as i just purchase the strix hero II from newegg. any1 can help with this? Thanks

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All renown brands of laptop chargers are multi voltage. 110~240.
Cos laptop are used.... for when travelling.
Some charger comes with fixed connector to the power plug, so you can change it.
Get from SG local shops for those convertors mentioned all around this post.

Most chargers, you can change the power plug. To UK Plug, 3 pin SG type.
https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=...78TdAhVCVH0KHddACHMQ_AUIDigB&biw=1536&bih=759

The power cable can be easily obtained from Sim Lim TOWER or SQUARE.

dewirox

Reaction score
By right is yes, over $400.
To me not worth to buy overseas.
Especially no warranty is a big risk.
Anything wrong either no warranty or
Go through a troublesome RMA.

Most laptop should have universal power adapter except the pin is US, UK or China.
If you got Credit card pay through installment.

Or take a loan to purchase.
Courts flexi plan especially for students are not recommended.
The high interest of 30% along other charges are not worth it.
can don't pay the GST by under declare?

xthene

Reaction score
how to under declare?

amazon don't do it right

when you ship an amazon item through an agent like ezbuy, you the buyer declare the value of the item yourself to ezbuy.

But it doesn't make sense to declare a notebook as under $37x (the shipping cost would be $2x).

But the good thing when you ship the item thru ezbuy - you decide the US-SGD conversion rate, and you can ... declare on the lower end. It would be pretty safe if its just a few dollars off. And at least you don't have to pay the 3% credit card charge for the 7% gst and shipment cost since you pay these direct to ezbuy.

I just received my dell xps 15 from amazon thru ezbuy.
Certain brands like dell do offer international warranty (provided the same model is sold in singapore too). And if you are frequent amazon buyer, you know you can liaise direct with the seller via the amazon platform should there be any missing items.

Last edited:

tanchinkoo

Master Member
Reaction score

U use USB cable to charge right ?

So what the problem ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.