HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Help! Brand New Laptop cannot enter Facebook, Whatsapp and Youtube

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Help! Brand New Laptop cannot enter Facebook, Whatsapp and Youtube

My brother recently bought an Alienware 15 r4. Asking on his behalf cos I tried all troubleshooting methods but still cannot work so decide to ask here.

Issue is his laptop, regardless of browser, cannot access Whatsapp, Youtube or Facebook message. Will always prompt out 'This site cant be reached' page. When I tried to run Windows Network Diagnostics tool, it showed a problem found 'Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'.

So as an experienced DIY PC guy(learnt from HWC), I googled this issue and tried to resolve it using all the methods suggested, cannot work.

Told my brother to bring back to gamepro to troubleshoot. NOW HERE IS THE WEIRD PART... he says the gamepro guy was actually able to enter all 3 websites at the shop in marina square.

So today, I tried updating the firmware of my ASUS AC68U to ensure that it is not the home router that is giving me trouble. Tried the latest from both ASUS official firmware and Merlin's firmware. All devices in my house can go the 3 websites except this freaking Alienware 15.

What could potentially be the problem bros? Please help!

I would actually love to post this in HWC but because the problem is in a laptop, I feel that I got no choice but to post it here in case kenna infraction.
moveman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

My brother recently bought an Alienware 15 r4. Asking on his behalf cos I tried all troubleshooting methods but still cannot work so decide to ask here.

Issue is his laptop, regardless of browser, cannot access Whatsapp, Youtube or Facebook message. Will always prompt out 'This site cant be reached' page. When I tried to run Windows Network Diagnostics tool, it showed a problem found 'Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'.

So as an experienced DIY PC guy(learnt from HWC), I googled this issue and tried to resolve it using all the methods suggested, cannot work.

Told my brother to bring back to gamepro to troubleshoot. NOW HERE IS THE WEIRD PART... he says the gamepro guy was actually able to enter all 3 websites at the shop in marina square.

So today, I tried updating the firmware of my ASUS AC68U to ensure that it is not the home router that is giving me trouble. Tried the latest from both ASUS official firmware and Merlin's firmware. All devices in my house can go the 3 websites except this freaking Alienware 15.

What could potentially be the problem bros? Please help!

I would actually love to post this in HWC but because the problem is in a laptop, I feel that I got no choice but to post it here in case kenna infraction.
factory reset your router. maybe have black/white list entries.

if you use your mobile phone to tether can surf the web?
batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

factory reset your router. maybe have black/white list entries.

if you use your mobile phone to tether can surf the web?
Never tried but I can try to reset the router. If use mobile phone tether can access those webpages
Old 11-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Never tried but I can try to reset the router. If use mobile phone tether can access those webpages
likely is router - maybe (given the info so far). factory reset it once and determine.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #5

Sounds like you are on Media Access Control (MAC) address filtering. Would like to check, whenever you have a new device, do you have to add it into your router?

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Sounds like you are on Media Access Control (MAC) address filtering. Would like to check, whenever you have a new device, do you have to add it into your router?
i think so too - but difficult to confirm so the fastest is he perform a factory reset on the router.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Yup. Would be good to have the following information as well to get a more comprehensive picture

1.Connection medium - Wifi , Ethernet
2. Are other sites inaccessible as well or only the aforementioned 3?
3. ISP?
4. Router type, Wifi Security Protocol (WPA / WPA2 etc) ? ( not required if it’s too sensitive)

i think so too - but difficult to confirm so the fastest is he perform a factory reset on the router.

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 11-10-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Old 12-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

Yup. Would be good to have the following information as well to get a more comprehensive picture

1.Connection medium - Wifi , Ethernet
2. Are other sites inaccessible as well or only the aforementioned 3?
3. ISP?
4. Router type, Wifi Security Protocol (WPA / WPA2 etc) ? ( not required if it’s too sensitive)
1) connection via wifi using killer wireless ac 1550 with latest drivers
2) so far only discover that Facebook, WhatsApp and YouTube cannot access. The rest so far okay, even rakuten.jp
3) SingTel
4) using Asus Ac68u, wpa2 personal.

I have tried to factory reset the router. Same issues remained
Old 12-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

I never had to do this for my other new devices. Just days before my sis had a new ipad. No issues with that device.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

This is strange
Let me look into it

Old 12-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #11

Let’s further pin point this cause I m stumped

Connect a lan cable to the router and see if it sites work.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #12

Letís further pin point this cause I m stumped

Connect a lan cable to the router and see if it sites work.
Tried. Cant work.

Really strange case. I hope that we can all learn something from this and uplevel our troubleshooting skills
Old 12-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Not sure this would help or not..

Try to set up a New Network Connection profile on the affected laptop.
eric3743 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #14

Go unckeck the proxy settings on your laptop. Many business set their devices to connect to the internet through a proxy. I guess they want to demo the internet from their shop and set up proxy but forgot to disable for you.

Last edited by dryteletubby; 12-10-2018 at 12:59 PM..
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #15

Go unckeck the proxy settings on your laptop. Many business set their devices to connect to the internet through a proxy. I guess they want to demo the internet from their shop and set up proxy but forgot to disable for you.
Did this after googling for solutions first before posting in HWZ. All proxy settings are on auto but still cannot work.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.