HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lenovo A485 with no hard disk cage...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #16

Well, as u said "I chose not to pay for first hard drive option = I am not going to enjoy the benefit of having extra storage on top of the default 128GB M.2 2242 SSD", this is no lenovo fault.

Overseas peeps who bought the A485 without the choosing the first hard drive option also got an empty slot, i dun really know what u kpkb about?
I think you may have misunderstood me. What I am biting on with Lenovo is that the extra price quoted by Lenovo on their wesbite for the first hard drive option should be for the DRIVE itself and not for the capability of the laptop to support a drive.

Do you have evidence to substantiate your claims for overseas peeps having the same issuetoo? Please share it here if you have them.

Last edited by moveman69; 30-01-2019 at 10:50 PM..
moveman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 11:16 PM   #17

I think you may have misunderstood me. What I am biting on with Lenovo is that the extra price quoted by Lenovo on their wesbite for the first hard drive option should be for the DRIVE itself and not for the capability of the laptop to support a drive.

Do you have evidence to substantiate your claims for overseas peeps having the same issuetoo? Please share it here if you have them.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...s/td-p/4035226

Both A485 & T480 shares the same exact chassis.
Elsa GF2 Ti 64MB[/SIZE]
cheesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:52 AM   #18

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPa...s/td-p/4035226

Both A485 & T480 shares the same exact chassis.
Thanks for the link. Seems like our overseas friends are experiencing this shyte from Lenovo as well. Rather surprised that nobody has raised it to Lenovo as although I acknowledged that this may be universally done, but that does not make it universally correct to do so.

I would have no issues if they explicitly state it during the point of purchase as it would definitely have an influence on my final decision.

Anyway Agent W from Lenovo Technical Support is looking into my case now. Fingers crossed that something can be done.
Old 31-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #19

Good luck n hope Lenovo will do u good.

I know abt the missing Sata/M2 cage bcos i'm planning to buy the A485 too n had been doing research on it.

All in all, A485 is a good deal but for those who r getting 1, remember to factor in the first hard drive option of either sata or m2, for future ease of upgrading.
Elsa GF2 Ti 64MB[/SIZE]
cheesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #20

Good luck n hope Lenovo will do u good.

I know abt the missing Sata/M2 cage bcos i'm planning to buy the A485 too n had been doing research on it.

All in all, A485 is a good deal but for those who r getting 1, remember to factor in the first hard drive option of either sata or m2, for future ease of upgrading.
Another twist of the tale to add more drama...

I was quoted $347.97 (NVME Bracket only, without any drive, excluding GST ) by their authorized service partner ServLink Technology Resources Pte Ltd. Even if you take out the onsite labour cost (which is a ridiculously high $ 150.00 when even my IT noob gf can install on her own, excluding GST) the empty bracket is still quoted at $ 104.18 + $ 93.79 = $197.97 (excluding GST). As of 01 Feb 2019 at 2.20pm local time, a 256GB option + bracket is asking for SGD 180.

I officially sent in a complaint email and inside it, I sarcastically asked them if they were helping me build up to a wonderful CNY by furnishing the bracket with Swarovski crystals and that the cable is made with the highest grade of copper for the faster and more reliable connection and pending their reply.

Below is the mind-blowing quotation sent to me by their authorised partner

* STRICTLY NO CANCELLATION FOR CONFIRMED ORDERS = If anybody were to make payment for this absurd quotation, I will also say the same and maybe add in thank you for your patronage.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #21
High Supremacy Member

Another twist of the tale to add more drama...

I was quoted $347.97 (NVME Bracket only, without any drive, excluding GST ) by their authorized service partner ServLink Technology Resources Pte Ltd. Even if you take out the onsite labour cost (which is a ridiculously high $ 150.00 when even my IT noob gf can install on her own, excluding GST) the empty bracket is still quoted at $ 104.18 + $ 93.79 = $197.97 (excluding GST). As of 01 Feb 2019 at 2.20pm local time, a 256GB option + bracket is asking for SGD 180.

I officially sent in a complaint email and inside it, I sarcastically asked them if they were helping me build up to a wonderful CNY by furnishing the bracket with Swarovski crystals and that the cable is made with the highest grade of copper for the faster and more reliable connection and pending their reply.

Below is the mind-blowing quotation sent to me by their authorised partner

* STRICTLY NO CANCELLATION FOR CONFIRMED ORDERS = If anybody were to make payment for this absurd quotation, I will also say the same and maybe add in thank you for your patronage.
Price is too high, not sure how they quote.
If I were you, I will not approved it.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #22

This is the reason Lenovo should get smart and take a page out of Acer's playbook.

If the customer buys a laptop with a 2.5" drive, use a board that completely lacks the nvme connector.

If the customer buys a laptop with an nvme drive, use a board that completely drops the SATA connectors.

No more customers will make noise about 'I have the right to upgrade this laptop with an additional drive even though I did not purchase the other option".

Using the same board is an invitation for trouble.
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM   #23
Master Member

I don't think I've seen a single laptop manufacturer that sells original internal parts for cheap, so this is not particularly surprising.
wtfh4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #24

Of course I didn't! I will be the biggest fool in Singapore if I did.

This is the reason Lenovo should get smart and take a page out of Acer's playbook.

If the customer buys a laptop with a 2.5" drive, use a board that completely lacks the nvme connector.

If the customer buys a laptop with an nvme drive, use a board that completely drops the SATA connectors.

No more customers will make noise about 'I have the right to upgrade this laptop with an additional drive even though I did not purchase the other option".

Using the same board is an invitation for trouble.
Point taken and I kinda agree with you. However, I think brands have to be more transparent upfront with this issue during the order process and if they did, I will have no issues and will either 1) pay the price they ask or 2) LLST and live with it.

I don't think I've seen a single laptop manufacturer that sells original internal parts for cheap, so this is not particularly surprising.
Totally agree with you. Cos this is not in the DIY PC space anymore. But for a price quotation for the bracket only costing much more than a bracket + SSD option, this is totally daylight robbery.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
High Supremacy Member

The key problem here is Lenovo outsource to Servlink.
Pricing is up to vendor on how they want to quote.
This can bring up to Lenovo but not sure they want to regulate
their pricing.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:00 AM   #26
Master Member

Go Sls might be cheaper haha...
lifeishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:16 AM   #27

Go Sls might be cheaper haha...
Go TB even cheaper
Old 02-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Best that you write to Lenovo Customer Services at sgcs@lenovo.com and check with them. Don't bother to call the hotline. They will also ask you to email to the same address.
There is no need to do that. Most PC, if you order NVMe or SSD only version. The storage is on M.2 slot and hard disk bracket/SATS cable is ot necessary shipped with it.

There is also notebook with harddisk bay, but cable from mother board for M.2 SSD install at hard disk bay.

So if your model of PC support hard disk, the safer way is to order hard disk version and add on M.2 SSD/NVMe disk at your own cost. SSD is not expensive now and is quite easy to get one and transfer your OS there for faster boot and yet enjoy large capacity on hard disk.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #29
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32834950597.html

In case you want to install a 2.5 inch drive while waiting for your case to be resolved. But please go ahead and nag them, I think it is good that companies should be held responsible to provide what is stated and nothing less.
From the service manual, hard disk bracket and sata is a optional item if your PC is SSD only model. The same PC but different model # do sell SSD+hard disk.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #30

When I ordered my Thinkpad E585 configured with NVMe SSD, it was shipped with the 2.5" drive cage, dummy 2.5" drive and SATA-Mobo ribbon cable installed in the laptop.
Hi bro. I am in exact same situation as you (except that I didn't get the cage... Sad-face...I just wrote to them yesterday for the cage (I referred to it as caddy in my email). Will update after CNY.
saddams wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.