HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Lenovo A485 with no hard disk cage...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think you may have misunderstood me. What I am biting on with Lenovo is that the extra price quoted by Lenovo on their wesbite for the first hard drive option should be for the DRIVE itself and not for the capability of the laptop to support a drive.

Do you have evidence to substantiate your claims for overseas peeps having the same issuetoo? Please share it here if you have them.
Correct, oversea model also the same. SSD model also do not have hard disk bracket.

Acer model also the same.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #32
Arch-Supremacy Member

Price is too high, not sure how they quote.
If I were you, I will not approved it.
You can get these item from ebay or Taobao at much cheaper price.
Buying from agent is always expensive as they take it as selling spare part.

Just use the part number mention in quotation to search!
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #33
Master Member

i think i kanna liao. Bought their latest gaming line legion Y740, both features and tech specs tab shows got gsync but display type under config detail does not. When i tried to customise in usa site, their display type under config detail shows gsync.. (third link is usa site).

How, can refund or not if after OPEN up shows no gsync.

https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/laptops.../p/88GMY701059

https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/cart?transMessageFlag=true

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/cart?transMessageFlag=true
lifeishard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

I don't think I've seen a single laptop manufacturer that sells original internal parts for cheap, so this is not particularly surprising.
I agree with this statement. Usually quite expensive.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #35
Supremacy Member

I agree with this statement. Usually quite expensive.
Manufacturer & distributor service center quoted parts pricing to consumer will be higher than to those reseller due to rebate discount to reseller.

Once i went to this Toshiba service center to duplicate the OEM laptop OS they asked me to self copying using my laptop else labour charge will be $100 alone.
This is separate cost for the original disc and blank CD discs.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #36
Master Member

As a retail consumer, Lenovo generally keeps costs low and takes out parts you don't need.

You paid for it anyway, so it's your duty to check.

You won't have this problem as an enterprise customer, cos you do have some bargaining power considering that they pay several 100x more than you for their bulk purchases and privately contracted long term service agreements
Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #37

This is the reason Lenovo should get smart and take a page out of Acer's playbook.

If the customer buys a laptop with a 2.5" drive, use a board that completely lacks the nvme connector.

If the customer buys a laptop with an nvme drive, use a board that completely drops the SATA connectors.

No more customers will make noise about 'I have the right to upgrade this laptop with an additional drive even though I did not purchase the other option".

Using the same board is an invitation for trouble.
Sure you have a right to upgrade at a price.
You should check with your Lenovo salesman before you confirm your purchase. If they cannot answer you, dont buy.

Next time, one may ask if they can upgrade CPU when faster CPU chip announced.

Last edited by limpingsim98; 04-02-2019 at 09:06 AM..
limpingsim98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #38

TS, if you look at this link under storage, it states "System has one HDD slot or one M.2 2280 slot exclusively for storage"

https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys...ifications.pdf
TrEaSuRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #39

Sorry didn't update after so long due to work commitments.

The conclusion for this case is Lenovo sent me the nvme sent me the cable and bracket around 3 weeks ago.

So in my opinion, this has definitely been a happy ever after conclusion.

Will I still recommend the A485 to others: YES if you can look beyond this incident. It's honestly a very good laptop (matte touchscreen, type-c charging, tactile feel keyboard, now official AMD drivers, 3 year on site warranty, dual channel ram)

Lenovo after sales technical support also not bad, with special mention to agent Weng Keat from technical support for going the extra mile to help me resolve my case
moveman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #40

Battery Life

Interesting. What kind of battery life are you getting? How many hours of surfing for example with wifi on? saw some tests being done putting it at about 4 - 5 hours only. Is it much longer with the extended battery?
quantumhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #41

Hi bro. I am in exact same situation as you (except that I didn't get the cage... Sad-face...I just wrote to them yesterday for the cage (I referred to it as caddy in my email). Will update after CNY.
I just ordered a E585. Hope it still comes with the cabby & SATA cable
gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #42

Interesting. What kind of battery life are you getting? How many hours of surfing for example with wifi on? saw some tests being done putting it at about 4 - 5 hours only. Is it much longer with the extended battery?
With the extra 72Wh battery and on Windows 10 battery saving mode, can last at least 11 hours on normal workload (Microsoft word, Adobe PDF reading, Google chrome we surfing)
quantumhz likes this.
Old 19-04-2019, 08:27 PM   #43

I just ordered a E585. Hope it still comes with the cabby & SATA cable
So did it?
quantumhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #44

Thumbs up

Yes, they still do.
It's an interesting policy of putting an actual dummy 2.5 inch metal/plastic placeholder drive in the notebook, in addition to the rubber Cabby & SATA cable.

The placeholder is heavier than most SATA SSDs in the market.

They also included a metallic/plastic foil that's attachable to 9.5mm SATA HDDs... seemingly to prevent shorting other components in the chassis.
7.7mm SATA devices or 9.5mm SATA devices with no exposed PCB won't need it though.

I am quite impressed with their attention to detail tbh.
gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #45

So strange that a arguably lower end E585 has the cage by default while the A485 doesn't... Strangely enough also, Lenovo USA provided the option to purchase the cage during a quick config on the website to compare USA and SG prices for A485...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.