Old 29-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Is this the low-mid tier type of spec for a laptop

Need advice here

i5-8250 / amd ryzen 5
ssd 128gb + 1tb hdd / ssd 256gb only
8gb ddr4 ram
build in graphic card
win 10 home edition

For this type of spec, am i looking at ~$1k? Went to HN northpoint yesterday, quoted by a sales man

PS: Saw the other thread saying AMD ryzen on a laptop will have major heat issue? Using laptop at office for 6-8 hrs daily. Is there any point to get a faster cpu and ram if my primary usage is mostly on office and words.
Old 29-11-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

For your usage, even my 6-year old laptop will perform the same as any other new laptops on the market
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #3

yeah around 1k or so for the specs.

the lowest i saw was $799 during pc show. some asus laptop with i5-8250u/8gb/256gb
HolyInnocents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #4

Lowest for that specs that I saw was this laptop https://www.newegg.com/global/sg-en/...82E16834850876 at 706 SGD at Newegg.
kajdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Need advice here

i5-8250 / amd ryzen 5
ssd 128gb + 1tb hdd / ssd 256gb only
8gb ddr4 ram
build in graphic card
win 10 home edition

For this type of spec, am i looking at ~$1k? Went to HN northpoint yesterday, quoted by a sales man

PS: Saw the other thread saying AMD ryzen on a laptop will have major heat issue? Using laptop at office for 6-8 hrs daily. Is there any point to get a faster cpu and ram if my primary usage is mostly on office and words.
Heat issue has nothing to do with the processor, but rather the cooling implemented by the notebook manufacturer.

Anyway, Lenovo E485 may be a good deal for your budget. I think the cooling is adequate for these low power processors.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Graphics wise, the built in graphics of the Ryzen apu would be better than intel’s hd variant.

Go for Ryzen, it’s worth it!

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.