Microsoft's Surface

archtomato

Master Member
Reaction score
hmm guys i dun get it... do u guys have a tablet already? if so, whats the gap it's trying to fill? cos its neither here nor there? whats so special that it replaces a laptop?

thnaks

Personally for me I want a small 11 or 12 inch form factor decide which is light so I can use for office work which is MS office and etc. Somethinf like mac book air.

At the same time I use tablets alot for my entertaintent for movies music and surfing.

Since this device is both I can replace my old samsung tab and old laptop which are both dying.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Personally for me I want a small 11 or 12 inch form factor decide which is light so I can use for office work which is MS office and etc. Somethinf like mac book air.

At the same time I use tablets alot for my entertaintent for movies music and surfing.

Since this device is both I can replace my old samsung tab and old laptop which are both dying.

what if u need u to download or stream stuff leh

archtomato

Master Member
Reaction score
what if u need u to download or stream stuff leh

Download and stream? Same like any other windows laptop I suppose. Some issues with android tablets was sometimes streaming odd formats from my pc would be slow or not possible. With a windows based device it's now much better.

On the con side, u can't easily run whatsapp and such apps unless using emulators by then again for me those apps are on my phone. I also noticed kindle app for windows sucks big time compared to android so I'm stuck with using emulator for my graphic novels need.

For cbr based comics windows has readers natively available.

I feel the surface pro 3 price is on the high side but I made the leap since I'm retiring both my laptop and tablet and this device seems perfect.

On of the reasons I couldn't commit to the mac book air was because of the OS preference.

archtomato

Master Member
Reaction score
actually i am looking for a laptop to buy as my dell xps 16 up lorry liao.. i have a office ipad. my needs are surfing, working with MS OFFICE (most impt), streaming, BT ... so i need a laptop ...

i am anti apple so MB is out of question .. the thing is there is no leader in laptop model currently and surface does not suit my needs as it's just another laptop wanabe to me (no hdmi ? come on ) .... so ya, tts my problem

My view is if looking from purely a laptop direction this product might not be suitable. I'm pretty sure there are loads of laptops that can beat the SP3 in terms of sheer power and features.

But this product has a unique propositio that appeals to some.

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
actually i am looking for a laptop to buy as my dell xps 16 up lorry liao.. i have a office ipad. my needs are surfing, working with MS OFFICE (most impt), streaming, BT ... so i need a laptop ...

i am anti apple so MB is out of question .. the thing is there is no leader in laptop model currently and surface does not suit my needs as it's just another laptop wanabe to me (no hdmi ? come on ) .... so ya, tts my problem

get an ultrabook then!

tanyonghoe

Reaction score
Hi guys

If you exchange it with the retailer within the first week it would usually be with a new set.

To clarify why the waiting time is so long, the USA may have launched two months ago but every country has a different "sku" number based on power supply/plug and Windows image specific to that region. So what is manufactured for SG and Malaysia (same sku) is not the same packaging or box contents for the USA.

During this current launch phase with over 20 countries launching last Thur, every country has a limited amount of supply of SP3, and that's why the wait time is several weeks. That said, we're trying to obtain more supply and we hope to reduce the waiting time for new stocks as soon as we can.

BTW guys, I will only check in here occasionally as I usually engage with Surface users on our official Surface FB page. So if you have urgent questions, drop me a mail at iantan@microsoft.com or message the Inbox on www.facebook.com/surfacesing

Cheers,
Ian

Last edited:

vincent007

Reaction score
@nomoreliaola, I also don't understand, you are talking abt surface RT or surface pro?
Laptop wannabe? Surface pro is a fully functional laptop.
No HDMI? Get an MDP to HDMI converter.

sushimonster

Reaction score
Anyone bought the Complete Warranty? May I know how much is the deductible for accidental damage and whether it is valid to buy overseas where it is cheaper?

xXshad0wXx

Reaction score
@nomoreliaola, I also don't understand, you are talking abt surface RT or surface pro?
Laptop wannabe? Surface pro is a fully functional laptop.
No HDMI? Get an MDP to HDMI converter.

yeah its more of a laptop. just that not really able to play games (cannot play on native resolution and must tweak settings to low to have acceptable fps on newer games).

not really practical as a tablet. screen too big and weight too heavy. cannot imagine on mrt watching movie on it and holding it up. also the non matte display will cause severe reflections when reading or watching stuff outside. also no lte cannot really serve as tablet unless u have hotspot etc. if overseas will have a problem.

sushimonster

Reaction score
Interested to get but concerned about what I read on the heat/fan noise issues and throttling of the i5/i7 performance under sustained cpu loads. Anyone verified that?

Tuckzz

Reaction score
Interested to get but concerned about what I read on the heat/fan noise issues and throttling of the i5/i7 performance under sustained cpu loads. Anyone verified that?

The heat is an issue, the tablet does get hot under load. In a non air-conditioned room, I only get a score of 300 on fire strike. That being said my model is the i5 4gb ram version, the lack of ram might have affected the result.

However even though the heat is an issue, I never once found the fan being too loud, I've heard louder ones surely, didn't find fan noise an issue.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you can, wait for the next one which should be about a year's time.

If you can't, get an i3 or i5 depending on your usage.

Tuckzz

Reaction score
I've been using the SP3 for a week on for school and found that so far it's been quite nice to use despite the low benchmark scores. And also Kudos to the microsoft team to ensure good customer service, recently received a complimentary bag for My pre-order. I've a slight complain though as I can see the pen nibs wearing out after some use. wonder if these nits will yet replaced as in the USA

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been using the SP3 for a week on for school and found that so far it's been quite nice to use despite the low benchmark scores. And also Kudos to the microsoft team to ensure good customer service, recently received a complimentary bag for My pre-order. I've a slight complain though as I can see the pen nibs wearing out after some use. wonder if these nits will yet replaced as in the USA

Do you use a screen protector?

Titanium82

Reaction score
Surface Pro 3 not charging

Anyone encountered SP3 not charging?

I used until 7% yesterday and today initlally still able to boot up and use for a minute. Then i shutdown(batt 5%)and now SP3 will not start up. When press power button, it shows battery icon with single bar. Guess battery is too low to boot up now.

Wall socket is working, but there is no indicator white light on power connector. Tried charging my power bank into the usb port of the power adapter, power bank also cannot be charged. I guess my power adapter spoil?

Only bought the SP3 on wed and so fast got hardware issue within 3 days...:(:(

tanyonghoe

Reaction score
Anyone encountered SP3 not charging?

I used until 7% yesterday and today initlally still able to boot up and use for a minute. Then i shutdown(batt 5%)and now SP3 will not start up. When press power button, it shows battery icon with single bar. Guess battery is too low to boot up now.

Wall socket is working, but there is no indicator white light on power connector. Tried charging my power bank into the usb port of the power adapter, power bank also cannot be charged. I guess my power adapter spoil?

Only bought the SP3 on wed and so fast got hardware issue within 3 days...:(:(

Hi Titanium82,

Sorry to hear about your charging issue. It appears to be a faulty power supply unit if your powerbank cannot be charged if you plug it to the PSU itself. Please approach the retailer you bought it from to request a 1:1 exchange of the SP3 power supply unit. If the retailer doesn't have available stock, please contact Surface support for an exchange on the Surface.com webpage.

Ian, Surface Team

jyajin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, anywhere still got stock ma for $2.1k model without pre ordering

omelet

Reaction score
Yeah, also looking for it. Checked at most places mostly out of stock or only i3 and i5 128gb models...:(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.