HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Need advice on whether to repair PC or buy a new one

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By it_geek

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Need advice on whether to repair PC or buy a new one

Hi guys, i'm not knowledgeable in IT so hope you guys can help me. Currently my PC is having an issue and i'm not sure whether to repair it or buying a new one is more worth it.

Currently my PC is having this issue where i switch on my PC, there is no display. However keyboard and PC light up, PC's fan is running well. Have to keep force restart many times before it works properly. Problem persist even reformat. Notice that i can boot up in a few tries when i disconnect my USB keyboard, mouse and wifi stick.

Mainly using the pc for Surf web, Media streaming, Download torrent.
Sometimes will play Dota 2.

I'm sharing my current PC specs because i'm very happy with it and i got it at around $1k few years back.
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Acer Veriton X4630G (SOCKET 0)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8470 (Sapphire/PCPartner)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 (SATA)
TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter

New computer spec that i found online. Selling at $799
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with VEGA 8 Graphics OR Top Up $88 and upgrade to 2400G and comes with better graphic
Graphic: Radeon VEGA 8 Graphics
Storage: 1 TB HDD OR 120 GB SSD
Ram: 8 GB DDR4
FREE copy of Microsoft Office
2 Years onsite warranty

Thanks in advance guys.
Nitrogen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #2

Hi guys, i'm not knowledgeable in IT so hope you guys can help me. Currently my PC is having an issue and i'm not sure whether to repair it or buying a new one is more worth it.

Currently my PC is having this issue where i switch on my PC, there is no display. However keyboard and PC light up, PC's fan is running well. Have to keep force restart many times before it works properly. Problem persist even reformat. Notice that i can boot up in a few tries when i disconnect my USB keyboard, mouse and wifi stick.

Mainly using the pc for Surf web, Media streaming, Download torrent.
Sometimes will play Dota 2.

I'm sharing my current PC specs because i'm very happy with it and i got it at around $1k few years back.
Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Acer Veriton X4630G (SOCKET 0)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8470 (Sapphire/PCPartner)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 (SATA)
TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter

New computer spec that i found online. Selling at $799
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with VEGA 8 Graphics OR Top Up $88 and upgrade to 2400G and comes with better graphic
Graphic: Radeon VEGA 8 Graphics
Storage: 1 TB HDD OR 120 GB SSD
Ram: 8 GB DDR4
FREE copy of Microsoft Office
2 Years onsite warranty

Thanks in advance guys.

Your specs can last 1 - 2 years. No need to rush for upgrade.

Try disconnecting all the cables. Start with just the PSU, motherboard, RAM (1 stick first, then the 2nd stick thereafter) , CMOS and onboard VGA. Make sure got display first.

Then plug in the hard disks. See if got dai ji

Last step is your expansion cards.

Test them stage by stage until you narrow down to the fault.
Nitrogen9 likes this.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #3

Still can't figure out the issue. But recently rarely happen. Happened twice with the same problem. Set pc to sleep mode less than 1 hour, tried to wake the pc. PC, keyboard and mouse all light up, pc fan running but no display. Just want to share how i troubleshoot now to see if u guys know what could be the issue. I need to unplug the power cable for a min, press and hold the button power for 10 sec, leave it for a min then connect back the power cable and on the pc. If i never leave it untouch for a min and proceed to press and hold the power button, the no display issue will continue
Old 03-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #4
Supremacy Member

remove graphics card. problem solved
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Still can't figure out the issue. But recently rarely happen. Happened twice with the same problem. Set pc to sleep mode less than 1 hour, tried to wake the pc. PC, keyboard and mouse all light up, pc fan running but no display. Just want to share how i troubleshoot now to see if u guys know what could be the issue. I need to unplug the power cable for a min, press and hold the button power for 10 sec, leave it for a min then connect back the power cable and on the pc. If i never leave it untouch for a min and proceed to press and hold the power button, the no display issue will continue

Sounds like a device with an outdated driver.

Update your drivers cos some of the wake/sleep functions go haywire with outdated drivers that don't accomodate for newer wake and sleep states.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

I'm gonna try updating the gpu driver first. if problem still persist i will then remove the gpu and use the integrated. hopefully i dun have to spend any money. thanks for both of your suggestions
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.