HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Recommendations for laptop for Uni use

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #1

Recommendations for laptop for Uni use

Hi guys, I'll be entering university next year and i need some suggestions about what laptop to get. Here are my needs...

Usage:

From what i know about my course, there is going to be lots of reading and typing of essays. So it'll be good to have a good keyboard or is comfortable to type in as well as a decent to good screen for reading.

I would also use the laptop to browse the web frequently for research, so it would be preferred that the laptop is not so weak and let me multi task with multiple tabs of web browser and Microsoft word.

I don't require the laptop to be able to game as i dont want to be distracted and i already have my own custom gaming pc for that.

What I have researched so far:

I researched quite a bit about the Surface Go, but then i would have to remove windows 10 s mode on it to run non Microsoft store applications, and some reviewers had said that the processor just isn't strong enough to be able to handle multitasking as it noticeably slows down just after opening 3 tabs of google chrome. Other than this flaw, i found it to be a pretty solid device and has good bang for the buck.

I'm not really updated into the laptop scene so i appreciate your advice and knowledge based on your experience. It would be ideal the laptop costs less than 1k...

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Fenrir8080; 28-06-2019 at 03:01 PM..
Fenrir8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

Hi guys, I'll be entering university next year and i need some suggestions about what laptop to get. Here are my needs...

Usage:

From what i know about my course, there is going to be lots of reading and typing of essays. So it'll be good to have a good keyboard or is comfortable to type in as well as a decent to good screen for reading.

I would also use the laptop to browse the web frequently for research, so it would be preferred that the laptop is not so weak and let me multi task with multiple tabs of web browser and Microsoft word.

I don't require the laptop to be able to game as i dont want to be distracted and i already have my own custom gaming pc for that.

I researched quite a bit about the Surface pro, but then i would have to remove windows 10 s mode on it to run non Microsoft store applications, and some reviewers had said that the processor just isn't strong enough to be able to handle multitasking as it noticeably slows down just after opening 3 tabs of google chrome. Other than this flaw, i found it to be a pretty solid device and has good bang for the buck.

I'm not really updated into the laptop scene so i appreciate your advice and knowledge based on your experience. It would be ideal the laptop costs less than 1k...

Thank you in advance!
Do you require very VERY good battery life? If not you can consider the cheaper options from the Lenovo thinkpad line. Thinkpads are well regarded for their keyboards and its really comfortable to type on one.

Can just go over to the lenovo website to customise yourself a thinkpad. Can take a look at their AMD options as most are under 1k.
tjrsasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #3

Usage:

I researched quite a bit about the Surface pro, but then i would have to remove windows 10 s mode on it to run non Microsoft store applications, and some reviewers had said that the processor just isn't strong enough to be able to handle multitasking as it noticeably slows down just after opening 3 tabs of google chrome. Other than this flaw, i found it to be a pretty solid device and has good bang for the buck.

Thank you in advance!
Bought an XPS from the dell refurbished outlet recently and was very happy with the condition of it. If you're looking for a laptop at around 1k SGD. I think you can consider the Dell latitude 7480. You can do more research on the comfort of the keyboards but I did some and the keyboards on the 7000 series is pretty good so worth a look at.

This one comes with 3 years premium support warranty too and I think they have a student discount thing going on now as well.

https://www.dell.com/en-sg/outlet/ProductDescription?cfID=5DE1996043438465E458037BC3FF341F&invID=55023&cyid=3&pid=3&c=sg&l=en&rid=APAC&prdid=&seg=DFB

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 7th Generation i5-7300U Processor (Dual Core, up to 3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 15W)
SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Pro
256GB M.2 SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive Hard Drive
8GB (1X8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
14.0inch FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Non-Touch Display LCD
Intel HD Graphics GRAPHICS
Dell OutletLatitude 14 7000 (7480)
GeekyGecko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

But I'm afraid that Lenovo might get affected by the US ban. Since Lenovo is a China company just like Huawei...

Do you require very VERY good battery life? If not you can consider the cheaper options from the Lenovo thinkpad line. Thinkpads are well regarded for their keyboards and its really comfortable to type on one.

Can just go over to the lenovo website to customise yourself a thinkpad. Can take a look at their AMD options as most are under 1k.
Old 28-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #5

But I'm afraid that Lenovo might get affected by the US ban. Since Lenovo is a China company just like Huawei...
Thinkpad line is a totally separate production unit from what I heard. It may not necessarily be affected by the ban.
habeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Bought an XPS from the dell refurbished outlet recently and was very happy with the condition of it. If you're looking for a laptop at around 1k SGD. I think you can consider the Dell latitude 7480. You can do more research on the comfort of the keyboards but I did some and the keyboards on the 7000 series is pretty good so worth a look at.

This one comes with 3 years premium support warranty too and I think they have a student discount thing going on now as well.

https://www.dell.com/en-sg/outlet/Pr...prdid=&seg=DFB

PROCESSOR: Intel Core 7th Generation i5-7300U Processor (Dual Core, up to 3.50GHz, 3MB Cache, 15W)
SOFTWARE: Windows 10 Pro
256GB M.2 SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive Hard Drive
8GB (1X8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC MEMORY
14.0inch FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare Non-Touch Display LCD
Intel HD Graphics GRAPHICS
Dell OutletLatitude 14 7000 (7480)
At this point PLEASE do not get a pre-8th gen laptop. 8th Gen chips had a MASSIVE upgrade from 7th gen and it makes no sense to get anything lower than 8th gen at this point.

Dell keyboards are absolutely horrible. As long as we're talking about keyboards, nothing comes close to Thinkpads. Thinkpad keyboards are a charm to type on for hours and they blow the competition out of the water and it's not even close. You could argue that some keyboards are an acquired taste but that's just sugarcoating it. The problem here is PRICE. However, thinkpads are quite true to their word. The laptops are built really really well, there is a good support community & hardcore fans, offer long warranties and you do not need to worry about whipping out a shiny laptop anywhere and be shy that it is low SES.
Old 28-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #7

I see, thanks for your insights

At this point PLEASE do not get a pre-8th gen laptop. 8th Gen chips had a MASSIVE upgrade from 7th gen and it makes no sense to get anything lower than 8th gen at this point.

Dell keyboards are absolutely horrible. As long as we're talking about keyboards, nothing comes close to Thinkpads. Thinkpad keyboards are a charm to type on for hours and they blow the competition out of the water and it's not even close. You could argue that some keyboards are an acquired taste but that's just sugarcoating it. The problem here is PRICE. However, thinkpads are quite true to their word. The laptops are built really really well, there is a good support community & hardcore fans, offer long warranties and you do not need to worry about whipping out a shiny laptop anywhere and be shy that it is low SES.
Old 28-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

I see, thanks for your insights
Actually a surface product might be great for you. My wife initially had a lenovo 710s when she started uni. After her first year, I bought her a surface book 2 which I got at a good deal. The use of surface pen and convertible tablet is a life changer for her. She is studying diagnostic radiography and she uses the Pen excessively to make annotations, drawings and notes. She can't imagine using an ordinary laptop after using a surface. For a student, I think any surface (based on your budget/requirements) is great!
Old 28-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #9
Great Supremacy Member

sorry for hijack

any recommendations for cheap(1k or less) light laptop(less than 1.4kg)
wlalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

sorry for hijack

Surface Go.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 PM   #11

Only bad thing i feel about surface go is that the processor quite weak. Like a few youtube videos said that the performance takes a huge dip just from opening a few tabs of chrome.
Surface Go.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:27 AM   #12
Supremacy Member

sorry for hijack

Acer Swift 3. 1.35kg.
rabbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #13
Arch-Supremacy Member

Only bad thing i feel about surface go is that the processor quite weak. Like a few youtube videos said that the performance takes a huge dip just from opening a few tabs of chrome.
Mine doesn't lag. It does lag when transferring huge files to the micosd card.

I usually open like 10 to 20 tabs on firefox / chrome. And youtube streaming in the background is one of them.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #14

Usage:

I researched quite a bit about the Surface Go, but then i would have to remove windows 10 s mode on it to run non Microsoft store applications, and some reviewers had said that the processor just isn't strong enough to be able to handle multitasking as it noticeably slows down just after opening 3 tabs of google chrome. Other than this flaw, i found it to be a pretty solid device and has good bang for the buck.

Thank you in advance!
If you ok with the size of surface go, I think ok.
Personally, I feel the size is too small for long hour usage.
For travel, I use surface go.
For home, I use thinkpad.
iphone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #15

Surface Go is a great device for your mentioned needs. However it’s specs leaves much more to be desired and may not be worth after factoring in various accessories such as the Surface Go keyboard and Mini DP to VGA / HDMI dongle ($800 to $1000).

It does have a longevity factor to it. Mine lasted me through my bach and halfway though masters.

Would suggest you to get from the Microsoft Surface’s Academic / Students online webstore as you will be entitled to further discounts.

If you don’t mind, can you tell us the course that you will be reading at University?

Unsure of what to get? Need help with Notebook issues? Join in the discussions at Notebook Clinic!

Keep up with the latest in mobile technology with Residential Phone Gurus over at Mobile Communication Technology!

Need Assistance? Fret not! Feel free to contact me via PM for Forum Related Issues or any Other Issues that may require immediate assistance and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Last edited by Intrinion; 03-07-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Intrinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.