HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Require expertise on Laptops.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #16

Lol, just look on your budget laptop.
ThinkPad is business laptop, where got suitable to play dota.
csgo and dota are old games all can run on igpu
dryteletubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 11:01 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

Also can anyone explain why the different thinkpads can differ so greatly in price, when the specs are more or less the exact same thing??? O.o
What you're comparing is hardware specs. What you're unable to compare are build quality.

That is why you pay 3-5x more for an X1 Carbon for an equivalently spec-ed $700 Ideapad. You're paying more for the thin and light form factor combined with a toughened chassis. Likewise, the same when it comes to the T-series, magnesium alloy chassis and hence the 3yr base warranty.

Drop down to the L-series, and you get aluminium/reinforced plastic. Drop down to the E-series and you basically get rebadged Ideapads.

There's a reason why businesses buy Thinkpads, Latitudes and Elitebooks. Otherwise, they'd all be buying $799 Ideapads/Inspirons because they're the exact same specs as a $1699 Thinkpad/Latitude
Ark Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #18

Lol, just look on your budget laptop.
ThinkPad is business laptop, where got suitable to play dota.

Dell 7577 is the best among
https://www.lazada.sg/products/new-i...308546116.html

Red one more attracted
https://www.lazada.sg/products/new-i...300413436.html

at least got GTX1050ti GPU.

BTW lim pei dunno how to play games.
But at least I knows the specs
WA both laptop specs are really quite beast. But they both also running 7th gen Intel sia... You think the 7th gen i7 and 8th gen i5 will diff by much? I understand the processor is the most important part of laptop, since it can't be changed unlike ram etc...
iseedogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #19

What you're comparing is hardware specs. What you're unable to compare are build quality.

That is why you pay 3-5x more for an X1 Carbon for an equivalently spec-ed $700 Ideapad. You're paying more for the thin and light form factor combined with a toughened chassis. Likewise, the same when it comes to the T-series, magnesium alloy chassis and hence the 3yr base warranty.

Drop down to the L-series, and you get aluminium/reinforced plastic. Drop down to the E-series and you basically get rebadged Ideapads.

There's a reason why businesses buy Thinkpads, Latitudes and Elitebooks. Otherwise, they'd all be buying $799 Ideapads/Inspirons because they're the exact same specs as a $1699 Thinkpad/Latitude
Thank you for the detailed explanation. You just made the entire lenovo range fool proof. BTW do you know if the 15% student discount by lenovo is legit?
Old 16-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #20
Supremacy Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation. You just made the entire lenovo range fool proof. BTW do you know if the 15% student discount by lenovo is legit?
If it's on the official Lenovo website, of course it's legit. One thing to note is that shipping from Lenovo direct can be painfully slow and/or hit with continuous delays.

If you're buying for school, check with your institution's respective Lenovo vendor. Almost always significantly cheaper than retail.

Extra: Brand new biz-grade laptops are insanely expensive because the price you're seeing is the list price. When corporations buy these in the thousands, of course it isn't gonna be $1999/laptop. Maybe more along the lines of $900/unit for a 20K order? Hence, why sometimes we recommend people to buy 2nd hand biz-grade laptop instead of a $700 craptop. They are just better built and typically outlast consumer models.
Old 16-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #21
Arch-Supremacy Member

The new E-Series are NOT rebadged Ideapads.
They use the same Thinkpad tactile Keyboard, Thickpad Trackpads, and a Matt Screen, Plastics may not have the same structural reinforcements but it uses a tougher plastic than Ideapads
ArcticCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #22

The design and material of your laptop is v v v important depending on how you use it...

Make a wise choice.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:14 AM   #23

If it's on the official Lenovo website, of course it's legit. One thing to note is that shipping from Lenovo direct can be painfully slow and/or hit with continuous delays.

If you're buying for school, check with your institution's respective Lenovo vendor. Almost always significantly cheaper than retail.

Extra: Brand new biz-grade laptops are insanely expensive because the price you're seeing is the list price. When corporations buy these in the thousands, of course it isn't gonna be $1999/laptop. Maybe more along the lines of $900/unit for a 20K order? Hence, why sometimes we recommend people to buy 2nd hand biz-grade laptop instead of a $700 craptop. They are just better built and typically outlast consumer models.
I couldn't find anywhere that there is 15% off for students, except that one of the staff on their online chat told me about it... Perhaps I should call in to ask. I checked with my uni, and they are still selling the 7th gen Intel processors.. Talk about being slow....

Do you have any lobang? Haha can't seem to find good thinkpad deals on carousell.
Old 17-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #24

They use the same Thinkpad tactile Keyboard, Thickpad Trackpads, and a Matt Screen, Plastics may not have the same structural reinforcements but it uses a tougher plastic than Ideapads
So E series vs T series wise, T will have an edge yea?
Old 17-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #25

The design and material of your laptop is v v v important depending on how you use it...

Make a wise choice.
Indeed. Wondering if I should take the plunge on a second hand laptop instead..
Old 17-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #26
Arch-Supremacy Member

Of course, it is also way more expensive.
T series Hinge is better, E Series Hinge is normal
Old 17-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #27

Of course, it is also way more expensive.
T series Hinge is better, E Series Hinge is normal
Cool. But is the extra $ justifiable just for the hinge
Old 17-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

Cool. But is the extra $ justifiable just for the hinge
No idea, no money to buy T Series so have to go for E Series
Old 17-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #29

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to get a new laptop within the budget of 1.3-1.7k. Currently saw a few laptops within the range such as the Asus Ux430un as well as the UX331un.

However I have also read about the screen flickering and throttling issues of the 430.

I also understand that the I5 and I7 intel processors does not matter on these laptops. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Hence I hope that my fellow tech savvy Sgporeans can provide me with a better understanding as well as laptop recommendations! (:

BTW I heard from a salesman at Simlim that the hardware for acer laptops are now made by Asus????
Asus has a manufacturing arm called pegatron.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegatron

They manufacture motherboards and PC components for many brands in the market, especially for Asus. Not surprising if Acer buy some parts from Pegatron, but definitely not true that Acer laptops are made by Asus...
pcdreams_hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
Supremacy Member

My bad about the rebadging then. However, I will argue that they are not "same Thinkpad tactile" keyboard. When I was last in store, each Thinkpad had different tactile feedback, between the T470, T470S, X1C5, Thinkpad13 and X270. Thinkpad13 had the worst imo.

Not an edge, but a no brainer. Brand new, E will save alot of money over T. But getting a T-series is the point of buying a Thinkpad in the first place. For home/stationary, E is perfectly fine. As for T, it's just nice to have something you can just throw (with the display open) onto a sofa
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.