HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Require expertise on Laptops.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #1

Require expertise on Laptops.

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to get a new laptop within the budget of 1.3-1.7k. Currently saw a few laptops within the range such as the Asus Ux430un as well as the UX331un.

However I have also read about the screen flickering and throttling issues of the 430.

I also understand that the I5 and I7 intel processors does not matter on these laptops. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Hence I hope that my fellow tech savvy Sgporeans can provide me with a better understanding as well as laptop recommendations! (:

BTW I heard from a salesman at Simlim that the hardware for acer laptops are now made by Asus????
iseedogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

Oh yes. I forgot to mention I will also be doing some light gaming, like dota 2 or Cs go (:
Old 14-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

Good day everyone,

I'm looking to get a new laptop within the budget of 1.3-1.7k. Currently saw a few laptops within the range such as the Asus Ux430un as well as the UX331un.

However I have also read about the screen flickering and throttling issues of the 430.

I also understand that the I5 and I7 intel processors does not matter on these laptops. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Hence I hope that my fellow tech savvy Sgporeans can provide me with a better understanding as well as laptop recommendations! (:

BTW I heard from a salesman at Simlim that the hardware for acer laptops are now made by Asus????

the salesman probably got the two mixed up. they may share certain commonly accessible parts but each company retains their branding.

Those laptops should do fine but don't expect to game on max video settings.
Old 14-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

the salesman probably got the two mixed up. they may share certain commonly accessible parts but each company retains their branding.

Those laptops should do fine but don't expect to game on max video settings.
Thank you for your reply. Yes I was quite confused with his information too. With regards to the common problems reported for the various laptops, what laptop would be your recommendation? I'm keen on either heading down to the IT show or PC show soon.
Old 14-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

Inaccurate but not wrong:
Rock-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

that explains why some designs and specs are similar...
Old 14-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #7

Indeed guys. Do you guys recommend the Lenovo 720s?
Old 15-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #8

Indeed guys. Do you guys recommend the Lenovo 720s?

No.

Stay with the Think line of products please. I honestly find their other products damn crappy.
Old 15-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

No.

Stay with the Think line of products please. I honestly find their other products damn crappy.
Hi bro, can you provide me with a little idea on why the ideapad range is bad? Trying to weigh the pros and cons, as the thinkpad range is really expensive! I heard that there's a 15% discount for students across the line???
Old 15-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #10

Hi bro, can you provide me with a little idea on why the ideapad range is bad? Trying to weigh the pros and cons, as the thinkpad range is really expensive! I heard that there's a 15% discount for students across the line???

The ideapad feels rather cheap. If you buy their most economical range you can expect really crappy specs (the baseline you will ever need to even TRY to do any work). Very often people have to fork out extra cash on RAM upgrades, etc.

Also the ideapad has quite a lot of bloatware compared to Thinkpads.

The ideapad generally experiences sluggishness after 1 to 2 years of use.

Nothing else stopping you from getting an Ideapad, but it's my 2 cents worth. I have got a friend whose Ideapad I have serviced (either upgraded or repaired) 5 times already and he's still complaining.

The choice is yours...

Unless you are considering the YOGA series, that is still fine IMO.

Last edited by it_geek; 15-05-2018 at 01:03 PM..
it_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #11

Also the ideapad has quite a lot of bloatware compared to Thinkpads.

The ideapad generally experiences sluggishness after 1 to 2 years of use.
Sounds like a windows being windows slowing down with bloat and use. At least bloatware on windows can be remove unlike most android phones

Nothing else stopping you from getting an Ideapad, but it's my 2 cents worth. I have got a friend whose Ideapad I have serviced (either upgraded or repaired) 5 times already and he's still complaining.

What is your friend doing with the laptop requiring it to be repaired 5 times
dryteletubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

The plastics and touchpad keyboard on Thinkpads are really superior to Ideapad.
Look for Thinkpad E475 less than 500 dollars upgrade the processor
ArcticCheetah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #13

Thanks guys for the inputs. So I take it as you all recommend me to get a low priced thinkpad and upgrade the specs from there yeah? If I add the mx150 processor, u think I can get to play dota2? (:
Old 15-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #14

Also can anyone explain why the different thinkpads can differ so greatly in price, when the specs are more or less the exact same thing??? O.o
Old 15-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #15

Lol, just look on your budget laptop.
ThinkPad is business laptop, where got suitable to play dota.

Dell 7577 is the best among
https://www.lazada.sg/products/new-i...308546116.html

Red one more attracted
https://www.lazada.sg/products/new-i...300413436.html

at least got GTX1050ti GPU.

BTW lim pei dunno how to play games.
But at least I knows the specs

Last edited by obichacha; 15-05-2018 at 07:35 PM..
obichacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.