HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Toshiba M840 Can't Boot Up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #1

Toshiba M840 Can't Boot Up

Hi experts and friends,

I have a Toshiba laptop that I lately reformatted in order to pass it to someone else. However, not sure if the reformat is done too clean that the windows might also be cleaned up. It was running on Windows 8.1 (original is 8.0).

Inserted the CD ROM containing downloaded recovery package but it ran for few hours only to discover that the windows still can't boot up.

Can you all provide some help on this? Let me know any essential info you would need.

Thanks in advance!

Bb
imbbyon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #2

This CD-ROM came included with your purchase???

Best to just download a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 using the media creation tool, copy to USB stick and install. Follow the instructions on the MS website.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #3
Master Member

Hi experts and friends,

I have a Toshiba laptop that I lately reformatted in order to pass it to someone else. However, not sure if the reformat is done too clean that the windows might also be cleaned up. It was running on Windows 8.1 (original is 8.0).

Inserted the CD ROM containing downloaded recovery package but it ran for few hours only to discover that the windows still can't boot up.

Can you all provide some help on this? Let me know any essential info you would need.

Thanks in advance!

Bb

Suggest to do a fresh installation on Windows 8.1 as mentioned.

The CD ROM downloaded recovery package would be recovery of the OS in case of failure and may not for reformat & recovery purpose.
That's unless the recovery partition in the HDD is already removed/deleted upon purchase.

Toshiba laptops are come with recovery partition hidden in the HDD.
And most likely they would not supply any Windows OS installation disc.

However you can purchase the Model OEM Windows disc from Toshiba Service center as i have purchased for 2 of my Toshiba laptops.

Alternately you can upgrade to Windows 10 instead using the existing OEM Windows product key.

I have already upgrade 2 of my Toshiba laptops from Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 via Microsoft download website recently.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

I remember when I first bought, there was no CD ROMs. I was asked to save a backup of the system files into CD ROMs. I did so at the start. Back then it was Windows 8.0.

I will download it from Microsoft website and try installing. Could it be that the version I was trying to install is obsolete? In addition, is it possible to download newer versions like Windows 10?

Thank you!

This CD-ROM came included with your purchase???

Best to just download a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 using the media creation tool, copy to USB stick and install. Follow the instructions on the MS website.

Last edited by imbbyon101; 07-10-2018 at 04:41 PM..
imbbyon101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

Install 8.1 first. Need to provide the digital entitlement via upgrade.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

I remember when I first bought, there was no CD ROMs. I was asked to save a backup of the system files into CD ROMs. I did so at the start. Back then it was Windows 8.0.

I will download it from Microsoft website and try installing. Could it be that the version I was trying to install is obsolete? In addition, is it possible to download newer versions like Windows 10?

Thank you!

You download and activate windows 8 first. This will entitle you to a free upgrade to windows 10 after you already have win 8 installed.
narkizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
Master Member

Install 8.1 first. Need to provide the digital entitlement via upgrade.
May not be necessary as most laptop do have the OEM/Windows product key sticker.

In my upgrade to Windows 10 on a repaired laptop and did the upgrade using the product key on the sticker directly.
eric3743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

May not be necessary as most laptop do have the OEM/Windows product key sticker.

In my upgrade to Windows 10 on a repaired laptop and did the upgrade using the product key on the sticker directly.

ever since the accessibility upgrade path closed, it got trickier. so need to trick windows into thinking that it was eligible for digital entitlement.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.