HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Where to buy laptops from

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #1

Where to buy laptops from

Hi guys, I think generally laptops are pretty expensive in Singapore. But I wanted to hear from the forum where's the best place to buy.

I understand that IT fairs no longer price their laptops lower than MSRP, and you really have to bargain to get a good deal.

Is buying from shopee / Lazada / Amazon worth while? But there's a warranty issue right.

Thank you!
ChocoBoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #2

Why is there a warranty issue? You'll get a receipt like how you'd get one if you bought it from Courts or wherever, and can then register for warranty as per usual. With regards to price, sometimes they're slightly cheaper, but not necessarily.
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Why is there a warranty issue? You'll get a receipt like how you'd get one if you bought it from Courts or wherever, and can then register for warranty as per usual. With regards to price, sometimes they're slightly cheaper, but not necessarily.
Not all brands got international warranty
trento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Now a day, some shops do parallel importer (some import laptop without windows license and load windows locally).
So do watch out as agent will not give warranty to it.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #5

Now a day, some shops do parallel importer (some import laptop without windows license and load windows locally).
So do watch out as agent will not give warranty to it.
Not all brands got international warranty
What I mean is buy from local sellers in Singapore. 99% of them have physical shops, but also sell stuff online. If you're using the desktop browser, go to Lazada, search for any laptop you want. On the right hand side, you can see if there is warranty available for the product or not.

1) https://www.lazada.sg/products/acer-...QFZcA&search=1

2) https://www.lazada.sg/products/xiaom...6IXg0&search=1

The first link, for example, listed 2 years local manufacturer warranty, while the 2nd link (the Xiaomi Laptop) explicitly states Warranty not available. Once the purchase is done, and you've received the product, just use Lazada browser messaging system and ask them for the invoice for warranty purposes. They'll email it to you. That's what I've been doing for the past 2-3 years, every time I get any electronics product from Lazada. So far no issue at all with warranty registration or getting them to email/send me the invoice. Just be smart about it ah; don't buy anything from a seller who has low seller rating and stuff ah. All those can see on the right hand side of the listing. If you more kiasu, can even chat with them first lor, and ask if warranty available or not.

The main point I want to put across is that buying online nowadays is quite safe, provided you buy from legit websites. But if you even more kiasu, like I said, most places have a physical store that they'll list on their product listing description page, so you can even head on down there yourself to buy lor.

Last edited by tutonic; 04-04-2019 at 10:05 AM..
tutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

Hi guys, I think generally laptops are pretty expensive in Singapore. But I wanted to hear from the forum where's the best place to buy.

I understand that IT fairs no longer price their laptops lower than MSRP, and you really have to bargain to get a good deal.

Is buying from shopee / Lazada / Amazon worth while? But there's a warranty issue right.

Thank you!
Mine was either from Qoo10 or Amazon. Most of them are export set since sg don't result carry the models I want. If have issue and need warranty claim, can always just mail it back to seller(let's say amazon).

Sent from HUAWEI Mate 20 using GAGT
Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Supremacy Member

Mailing back and forth not expensive meh

Mine was either from Qoo10 or Amazon. Most of them are export set since sg don't result carry the models I want. If have issue and need warranty claim, can always just mail it back to seller(let's say amazon).

chenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

It will cost $ to mail back and forth and it can get damage in the mail. Do not make sense and lots of time wasted and you will have no laptop while waiting. It will be better to buy during major fair but must bargain to get the best price.
Henry Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

I know that Dell, Asus, and Lenovo provide full international warranty, meaning if you buy them overseas, you can service it in singapore. However, be careful about buying laptops from Amazon, as they are an exception.
ckkoh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:55 AM   #10
Supremacy Member

Mailed a razer blade Stealth back to amazon before and it cost around $120 using speed post. Mail back to SG was free. Better than me going back to razer repair at ubi(super ulu and inconvenient since I stay at west side) because I went there once to fix my razer blade 14 and I paid $30 or $35 courier fee to have it sent back to me after repair.

Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

I know that Dell, Asus, and Lenovo provide full international warranty, meaning if you buy them overseas, you can service it in singapore. However, be careful about buying laptops from Amazon, as they are an exception.
Lenovo only Thinkpad series is international warranty. Rest is regional only. This is for laptop purchase locally. If purchase in USA, warranty is applicable for USA and Canada only.
cscs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 11:38 PM   #12

anyone bought the laptop from JB?
Is it cheaper?
iphone88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Thank you!
Depends on the specs. I saw laptops selling for below $1000. Not really that expensive in Singapore...
daveteo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

Mailed a razer blade Stealth back to amazon before and it cost around $120 using speed post. Mail back to SG was free. Better than me going back to razer repair at ubi(super ulu and inconvenient since I stay at west side) because I went there once to fix my razer blade 14 and I paid $30 or $35 courier fee to have it sent back to me after repair.

What forwarder or agent do you use to buy laptop from amazon? Do you have to pay gst?
paamhii is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.