HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[OFFICIAL] Asus ZenBook UX31 User Thread UX31E

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
Master Member

Arrow [OFFICIAL] Asus ZenBook UX31 User Thread UX31E

Hello, Wanted to start a thread for zenbook users to share information and share tips.

I managed to grab a set at Sitex and was thinking of upgrading the SSD.

May I know what brand 128GB i5 SSD's you guys are using? Apparently ASUS swapped out some UX31 with the slower lower spec SANDISK 128GB from the ADATA/SANDFORCE 128GB. As a result, the Windows Experience Index for HDD read speeds drops significanty from 7.9 to 5.9.

UPDATE: Found it deep in the notebookreview forums. This thread had over a thousand posts :O

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post8094637
vs
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post8091160

Which hard drives are you guys using - the Sandisk u100 or the faster adata ones?

Let us know!

Last edited by lucifix; 29-11-2011 at 05:58 AM..
lucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Hello, Wanted to start a thread for zenbook users to share information and share tips.

I managed to grab a set at Sitex and was thinking of upgrading the SSD.

Any ideas?
Why did you not upgrade it when u are in Sitex ?

I am interested in notebook that is light and long bettery life so need not to bring charger along.

I like the UX31 outlook of it, very sleek but the size of the SSD and $cost$ turn me off.

May just settle for a ASUS "U" series instead.

regards
freddychin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

So, hows the UX31 so far?
There are quite a lot of problems reported by other users; did you encounter any problems with the keyboard, trackpad, etc ...
Also, if you dont mind, can you post the trackpad driver and the bios it came in?
which version of UX31 did you get?
frozeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

hi, also bought a ux31 i7 128gb at sitex yesterday

everthing is fine, just tat my asus live update is not workiing..
so I just uninstall this program.

i also adjust the wireless setting in the power4gear battery option to use max performance when on battery..

i also notice tat when plug in to charge and watchin some online video, it tends to get warm and you will heard fan starts to keep pumpin

other than that everything working ok.
ahpipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 04:24 AM   #5
Master Member

So, hows the UX31 so far?
There are quite a lot of problems reported by other users; did you encounter any problems with the keyboard, trackpad, etc ...
Also, if you dont mind, can you post the trackpad driver and the bios it came in?
which version of UX31 did you get?
I really like the instant on feature on the zenbook, its faster than the MBA especially when you cofigure w7 to bypass the log in screen.

They say the ELAN branded touchpads are better than sensetronic.

May I know what brand 128GB i5 SSD's you guys are using? Apparently ASUS swapped out some UX31 with the slower lower spec SANDISK 128GB from the ADATA/SANDFORCE 128GB. As a result, the Windows Experience Index for HDD read speeds drops significanty from 7.9 to 5.9.

Anyone?
Old 28-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #6

I think the ZenBook is like a MBA, which means you cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD inside the laptop once you decided which model you want according to what I heard from my friends who enquire about the ZenBook from the ASUS staff there.

One of my friend want to buy the i7 version and ask got free upgrade of RAM and the ASUS promoter immediately says that it cannot be upgraded because the RAM and SSD compartments cannot be access to upgrade them.

Perhaps need ASUS to confirm this...

Last edited by Calvin.Lee; 28-11-2011 at 05:44 AM..
Calvin.Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Master Member

I think the ZenBook is like a MBA, which means you cannot upgrade the RAM and the SSD inside the laptop once you decided which model you want according to what I heard from my friends who enquire about the ZenBook from the ASUS staff there.

One of my friend want to buy the i7 version and ask got free upgrade of RAM and the ASUS promoter immediately says that it cannot be upgraded because the RAM and SSD compartments cannot be access to upgrade them.

Perhaps need ASUS to confirm this...
The RAM, like the MBA is soldered on to the motherboard.

What I am unhappy with Asus, is that they swapped the faster ADATA SANDFORCE 128GB SSD with the significantly slower and inferior SANDISK 128GB SSD. This makes buying the 'correct' UX31 a hit or miss, which is irritating for a discerning buyer.
Old 28-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #8

The RAM, like the MBA is soldered on to the motherboard.

What I am unhappy with Asus, is that they swapped the faster ADATA SANDFORCE 128GB SSD with the significantly slower and inferior SANDISK 128GB SSD. This makes buying the 'correct' UX31 a hit or miss, which is irritating for a discerning buyer.
Yeah, just like the incident with DELL 2007FP monitors that time, lottery to see who can get an IPS panel or not

They will claim that it will still be faster than any non-SSD hard drives and performance wise will be "on par" with the others In my opinion of cause.

So if ASUS can swap the SSD, does that means the SSD can be change if we find a way to open it?
Old 28-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #9

Anyone can help test if UX31 (i5) can run Minecraft on highest settings?
nexxusdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #10
Master Member

Yeah, just like the incident with DELL 2007FP monitors that time, lottery to see who can get an IPS panel or not

They will claim that it will still be faster than any non-SSD hard drives and performance wise will be "on par" with the others In my opinion of cause.

So if ASUS can swap the SSD, does that means the SSD can be change if we find a way to open it?
This really is a case of lottery!

The zenbook can be opened, just google zenbok teardown. The SSD can be swapped out but it's hard to find the SSD module as this isn't the 2.5' HDD but rather the ones you find in the MBA.
Old 28-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #11

I really like the instant on feature on the zenbook, its faster than the MBA especially when you cofigure w7 to bypass the log in screen.

They say the ELAN branded touchpads are better than sensetronic.

Anyone?
whoa thats very bad if true... can you post a link on where you got this? i didnt know the SSD alone can affect the performance index so much it must be a really crappy one
shadow_allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #12
Master Member

whoa thats very bad if true... can you post a link on where you got this? i didnt know the SSD alone can affect the performance index so much it must be a really crappy one
Found it deep in the notebookreview forums. This thread had over a thousand posts :O

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post8094637
vs
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ml#post8091160

Which hard drives are you guys using - the Sandisk u100 or the faster adata ones?

Let us know!
Old 29-11-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Ha, I have read every single page of that forum and I probably heard every single possible complaint there is about the ux31. basically when it comes to the ssd, as far as I know, the 128gb only comes in adata and the 256gb only comes in sandisk, this is because adata's 256gb ssd cant fit the physical configuration of the labtop. haven heard anyone suggesting that asus has refitted the ux31 with different configs.
frozeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #14

i got the UX i5 128GB version, having problem on the power adapter light. It always stay on orange even after 100% reach.

I notice if i turn the head, the light will turn green, but then it will stay there even when battery % drops. Guess mine is faulty. Happen to see on that notebook forum some are also having this issue, but only after updating the bios which i didn't.
anhyeuem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
Master Member

Ha, I have read every single page of that forum and I probably heard every single possible complaint there is about the ux31. basically when it comes to the ssd, as far as I know, the 128gb only comes in adata and the 256gb only comes in sandisk, this is because adata's 256gb ssd cant fit the physical configuration of the labtop. haven heard anyone suggesting that asus has refitted the ux31 with different configs.
I don't know what you're trying to say when I just posted links to the forum thread that states how the UX31 128GB has two different SSD versions?

Basically the 256GB only comes in SanDisk because ADATA doesn't make 128GB, the two chips are the same size! It isnt because the 256GB can't fit the "physical configuration" lol.

Further, on that same thread I posted, people are receiving both ADATA and Sandisk u100 SSD's on different shipments.

This is frustrating because the performance for both drives, on the contrary, varies wildly like you see from the benchmarks.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.