HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Discuss about NTU Communication Studies (prospective student here!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Discuss about NTU Communication Studies (prospective student here!)

i have just finished browsing through the 3 local unis' websites to look for suitable programmes for further studies. A lil of my background. I graduated from a local poly in the east, and scored a GPA of 3.50, with a diploma in business. English grade for O level was a B4.

Had been rejected once in 2010 from all 3 local unis. Choice made was Bachelor in Business programme, as i thought that i would be able to manage better since having read that in poly. However the naive me back then, didnt realise that my poor gpa couldnt even admit me into the 10th percentile range.

Now in 2011, after searching for quite awhile, im thinking of applying for NTU's Comm Studies (a completely new track to me,for the AUG 2012 intake. Have read whatever i can off the site and am still left with many queries.

I would like to findout what exactly does this programme grill the students on? is it towards English writting / video-making or what? ?

Please advise.

Thanks a million

Last edited by kailee; 15-11-2011 at 11:20 PM..
kailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #2

anyone out there to give some advise?
kailee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Greater Supremacy Member

refer to curriculum by concentration
http://www.wkwsci.ntu.edu.sg/Current...Y20112012.aspx

and
http://www.wkwsci.ntu.edu.sg/Current...s/Courses.aspx

btw i'm not communication student, but i see one friend is communications, need to do most of the setting up shooting equipment by himself cos his group mates not free
Old 16-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

i have just finished browsing through the 3 local unis' websites to look for suitable programmes for further studies. A lil of my background. I graduated from a local poly in the east, and scored a GPA of 3.50, with a diploma in business. English grade for O level was a B4.

Had been rejected once in 2010 from all 3 local unis. Choice made was Bachelor in Business programme, as i thought that i would be able to manage better since having read that in poly. However the naive me back then, didnt realise that my poor gpa couldnt even admit me into the 10th percentile range.

Now in 2011, after searching for quite awhile, im thinking of applying for NTU's Comm Studies (a completely new track to me,for the AUG 2012 intake. Have read whatever i can off the site and am still left with many queries.

I would like to findout what exactly does this programme grill the students on? is it towards English writting / video-making or what? ?

Please advise.

Thanks a million
Actually, what do you want to know? I'm not from WKW but my friend is. I can help you ask him. But maybe can you draft out a list of questions first for me to ask him on your behalf?

P.S: We are all having exams now so I can only get back to you after my exams...
-Wanderer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

I believe there is someone in this thread who can help you:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh....php?t=3486489

Do check it out.

Cheers!
-Wanderer- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #6

Am a student from wkw. Competition is stiff and you're facing muggers who score an average of 4 for gpa. I was from poly (mass comm diploma) and honestly, I feel like being in this school is a waste of time. Unlike poly, their modules are heavily theory-based. It's like JC but worst. Your english have to be good cos ur facing students from top-notch JCs. I would recommend choosing another course of study.
egoistizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #7

Greeting TS, and egoistizm,

im the TS for the other link which i believe you have share in this thread. Im also keen like Kailee into getting into wkw for next year. I dont come from mass comm background in poly. from business .

so how are you coping down there? the difference is because its more theoritical than like in poly (more hands on)? care to elaborate more on the necessities you need to do to score well - like apart from continuous reading of the notes and texts, do you have to be good in setting up system (like technical handling aspect)?

last but not least, is it a memorising or analytical or english-intensive report writing programme as a whole?

Am a student from wkw. Competition is stiff and you're facing muggers who score an average of 4 for gpa. I was from poly (mass comm diploma) and honestly, I feel like being in this school is a waste of time. Unlike poly, their modules are heavily theory-based. It's like JC but worst. Your english have to be good cos ur facing students from top-notch JCs. I would recommend choosing another course of study.
parcebola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

do you have to be good in setting up system (like technical handling aspect)?
Not needed. They'll teach everything you need to know.

is it a memorising or analytical or english-intensive report writing programme as a whole?
Memorising will only get you that far. Just like any other social science course, you'll need analytical skills (think of it as a political science/sociology/psychology/philosophy course with a media focus). Yes, you'll be writing many essays, and your level of english needs to be decent so that you can put across your arguments clear and logically.
YuzuJuiceDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #9

Yeah, I agree with YuzuJuiceDrink. It's a combination of memorising, analytical thinking and english-intensive report writing. You'll learn from the modules but I guess cos' I have a media background from poly, I feel that wkw is extremely lacking in teaching students the practical skills needed to survive in the industry. Or maybe it's just me. :/.

But honestly speaking, I'm really struggling in the course because I'm having difficulties adapting to the education system. Not just the modules for wkw but for other electives too. It's like in poly, I have all these group projects worth 40% and I'm used to churning out marketing reports and stuff. Next thing I know, when I'm in uni, final exams are at least 40% and there are so many readings to digest. And group projects are worth like around 20%? My gpa is suffering because of the final exams. (Never am good at memorising theories or whatever)

The only practical aspect I feel throughout my time in wkw is the professional internship. And when I went for the interview with an advertising agency (sorry, can't disclose which), the boss, who was a graduate from wkw too, told me that I am wasting my time in uni.

If you have a business background, I would suggest pursuing a business degree. Because ultimately, I feel that in the media industry, it is the experience that matters. The degree only gives you a good starting pay.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't even go to uni at all. Unfortunately, I have traditional parents who think that having a degree is important. Sigh.

Greeting TS, and egoistizm,

im the TS for the other link which i believe you have share in this thread. Im also keen like Kailee into getting into wkw for next year. I dont come from mass comm background in poly. from business .

so how are you coping down there? the difference is because its more theoritical than like in poly (more hands on)? care to elaborate more on the necessities you need to do to score well - like apart from continuous reading of the notes and texts, do you have to be good in setting up system (like technical handling aspect)?

last but not least, is it a memorising or analytical or english-intensive report writing programme as a whole?
Not needed. They'll teach everything you need to know.

Memorising will only get you that far. Just like any other social science course, you'll need analytical skills (think of it as a political science/sociology/psychology/philosophy course with a media focus). Yes, you'll be writing many essays, and your level of english needs to be decent so that you can put across your arguments clear and logically.
egoistizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Banned

What I have to say is that I really like the school culture and maybe because I was from Vjc I don't find it very competitive...
I think egoistizm was precisely talking about people like you
30SecondPsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #11

Don't go into comm studies hoping to work in production in the future. The skills you learn for video and broadcast production is not as much as you would in Ngee Ann poly's film and media studies.

It'll be good if you are planning to go into journalism, communications research, or public and promotional communication. The latter two are where the money is (if that's your concern).
boreboor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #12

It'll be good if you are planning to go into journalism, communications research, or public and promotional communication. The latter two are where the money is (if that's your concern).
actually, it is a commonly perpetuated myth among CS students that CR is where the money is.

personally, I think journalism pays much better if you go into niche areas like financial journalism or sports journalism (avoid SPH/mediacorp). the demand in such specific areas easily outstrips supply.
YuzuJuiceDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #13

Hi! i'm MSE yr 2 student. i was wondering if you have any idea what is television practicum all about? it is an elective offered by your school. not sure if it is your core. but you have any friends or have any idea how is it like? i really need urgent help as i'm fighting for the vacancy left. hope to receive your reply soon.
jesselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.