HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Interested in NTU Minor in Translation

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By LEEJIYOUNG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #1

Interested in NTU Minor in Translation

I read that it is mainly about Chinese English translation. I want to do this minor but I barely got B4 for Chinese in O levels. Poly grad.

1)How good should my Chinese be before I attempt the course?

2)My Japanese is better than my Chinese, if possible is there a possibility I can do something like Japanese English Translation?

3)Do I use all of my unrestricted electives AUs to clear minor in Translation instead?

Thanks in advance
~Dragonite~ and Annabeth like this.
LEEJIYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #2

I read that it is mainly about Chinese English translation. I want to do this minor but I barely got B4 for Chinese in O levels. Poly grad.

1)How good should my Chinese be before I attempt the course?

2)My Japanese is better than my Chinese, if possible is there a possibility I can do something like Japanese English Translation?

3)Do I use all of my unrestricted electives AUs to clear minor in Translation instead?

Thanks in advance
1. B4 and above for GCE O level.

2. Not for minor in translation?

3. Use 15 AUs from your UE.
AugZie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #3
Master Member

you need to write in chinese as well for your information
vaguejizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

Hi there, I intend to take Translation as minor as well.

1) I would say that my Chinese is above average among Singaporeans. From my perspective, being able to read 联合早报 without difficulties in understanding the content, and able to write in a 通顺 manner, should be fine.

2) I don't think there is such thing. Translation modules for minor are only restricted to Chinese-English translation. But there's Janpanese Language offered as electives as well, you'll be taught basic conversational Japanese and writing some characters.

3) No, you don't have to. You'll have 30AUs (aka 10 modules) under UE. You'll need to use only 15AUs (aka 5 modules) on Translation in order to minor. You'll be left with 15AUs and you can take any other modules you like in NTU.
iforgottenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #5

I was in the same position as you. Same grade for O levels too. I got access to the Translation class notes (but didn't get to attend the lecture yet) during Star Wars last semester, but after one look at the wall of Chinese texts I realised I won't be able to pass the class. Dropped it the day after. Was really dejected.

I guess you should crash the class and have a look first while the Star Wars is still ongoing to have a feel.
Annabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.