HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU ppl lip lai!

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #79891
Supremacy Member

well the top jcs give so much help to its students in their application to ivy leagues: tutors write you nice recommendations, teach you how to write good personal statements, and how to prepare for interviews etc etc. I'd would say that getting accepted is not as hard as you think.

regarding the 'typical Yale student being much brighter than singaporean students', i wouldnt make such sweeping statements because i cannot justify it.

i think it shows that with the right training, teams from non-ivy leagues can still outperform them. wait a minute, Yale isnt even strong at business/finance; it's renowed for law and arts and sciences.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #79892

I am hoping to do a business phd from a 3rd tier uni , then pple can called me Dr vbhelper for life . I'm not really into research. I'm serious hor
ya the title Dr is veri attractive lor.. cuz when u fill in form can write Dr and nt Mr le..

i am half half into research onli but would like to venture into industry.. meet more interesting ppl.. tok more..
Old 06-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #79893

ya the title Dr is veri attractive lor.. cuz when u fill in form can write Dr and nt Mr le..

i am half half into research onli but would like to venture into industry.. meet more interesting ppl.. tok more..
When you write papers, you don't put your title anyway :-p

When you mean venture into industry, you mean doing industrial kind of research instead of those academic kind, or what?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #79894

When you write papers, you don't put your title anyway :-p

When you mean venture into industry, you mean doing industrial kind of research instead of those academic kind, or what?
i think industrial research also sama sama as academic kind but ultimate aim different bah hahhaa

papers different leh.. everyone almost the same title put also no use.. is when filling form put Dr veri nice haha
Old 06-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #79895
High Supremacy Member

i think industrial research also sama sama as academic kind but ultimate aim different bah hahhaa

papers different leh.. everyone almost the same title put also no use.. is when filling form put Dr veri nice haha
hanor hanor, if u are aiming Dr title, then don't find a phd so difficult to take one rah.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #79896

Well, industry more towards practical output (e.g. optimization techniques, etc.). Academic more towards new things that may not be practical yet (e.g. theoretical physics, etc.)

In academic, it's what you produce and not who you are that matters (although sometimes that may not be the case), which is probably why title doesn't matter.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #79897

hanor hanor, if u are aiming Dr title, then don't find a phd so difficult to take one rah.
Should be easier to get a DBA instead of a PhD...
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #79898

Well, industry more towards practical output (e.g. optimization techniques, etc.). Academic more towards new things that may not be practical yet (e.g. theoretical physics, etc.)

In academic, it's what you produce and not who you are that matters (although sometimes that may not be the case), which is probably why title doesn't matter.
ya wat i am considering is, is it possible to jump from academic based to optimization base area when u are a phd..

and do industry hire phd in the first place or nt?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #79899
High Supremacy Member

the best place to do ur business is inside the Earth Observatory of Singapore..wahaha..the toilet in there can wash butt somemore one..damn song..

if it's public one, I don't even dare to use.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #79900
High Supremacy Member

Thumbs up NTU-Imperial College tie-up

NANYANG Technological University (NTU) is teaming up with Imperial College London to offer joint Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programmes in engineering and science.

It is the first time both institutions are offering a joint PhD programme with a partner university.

A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed at NTU by Sir Roy M. Anderson, Rector, Imperial College and Dr Su Guaning, NTU President on Monday.

Said Dr Su: 'We are delighted to partner Imperial College London, a world renowned institution in education and research... The collaboration will benefit our students and facilitate and strengthen the research collaboration between the two universities.'

Rector of Imperial Sir Roy Anderson added: 'Imperial College London and Singapore make very good partners because we share an enthusiasm for scientific exploration and innovation. Formalising the strong links between Imperial and NTU means more students will benefit.'

The NTU-Imperial College Joint PhD degree programme will commence with PhD programmes in Bioengineering and Chemical, and Biomolecular Engineering. It will subsequently be extended to PhD degrees for all engineering and science disciplines.

The programme takes four years, with students spending two years at each institution.

Successful PhD candidates shall be jointly issued a PhD degree under the seals of Imperial College and NTU.

The tentative date for the initial intake under the Joint PhD programme is January 2010.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #79901
High Supremacy Member

NTU prof still recovering

THE Nanyang Technological University professor who was stabbed by his final-year project student last month, is still on medical leave but is in contact with his students.

Professor Chan Kap Luk, 45, from the NTU's School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE), is still recovering and has yet to resume full teaching responsibilities, said NTU on Monday in response to queries from straitstimes.com.

Prof Chan continues 'to maintain contact with some of his students via email and phone calls,' NTU said.

The professor was knifed in the back during a final-year project discussion with Indonesian student David Hartanto Widjaja on the morning of March 2.

Widjaja, 21, a fourth-year engineering student at NTU, later fell to his death after the attack.

Prof Chan, who suffered injuries to his back and right hand, was discharged from National University Hospital three days after the attack. He had earlier said he would be taking a break before returning to work.

Prof Chan's workload has since been delegated to other faculty members.

'Since the incident, a co-supervised final year project (FYP) has been taken over by the co-supervisor, while the remaining projects have been re-allocated to other faculty members within the same division', NTU said.

Asked if NTU was reviewing its policies on FYP meetings between students and professors, an NTU spokesman said the School of EEE is looking into whether more effective means can be developed to support its students and staff.

NTU also said it continues to provide support for foreign students ease into a new environment through its International Students Centre and the Student Affairs Office.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #79902
High Supremacy Member

my fren, jeremy!!
actuarial and economics major!!

yeah really happy for them man, bring alot of glory to NTU siah!!

I heard those in actuarial are scholars
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #79903
High Supremacy Member

hmm then might as well say scrap education in Singapore?
If scrap education in Sg, singaporeans will be road sweeper, construction workers etc

Foreigners will be engineer, manager, bankers etc
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #79904
High Supremacy Member

actually got alot of hazardous spots in NTU..and some of the cars drive v fast on some stretch of the roads in campus..

Must be those young impatient drivers who don't willing to brake b4 zebra crossing
Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #79905
High Supremacy Member

no man..the high ground sometimes can be blind spots for the pedestrians. As in you cannot see the incoming car coming up the slope, especially if the car is coming up at high speeds.
The speed limit in school compound is quite low actually. The car should be able to brake within 2 meters if the driver obeys the rules

Last edited by vbhelper; 06-04-2009 at 08:24 PM..
Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.