NTU ppl lip lai! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

siandiao

Reaction score
i kinda agree with u cus pain is temporary, grade is forever.

i regret i didn't study hard enough to get 1st/2nd upper :sad:
and this is, why I tell my juniors, never, ever, get influenced by some of their wretched seniors from camp to do with them things "in the name of bonding spirit" - play mahjong, chiong supper, go "study groups" i.e. chatting sessions, during their first year at least. First year must really chiong GPA swee swee

draco_88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
and this is, why I tell my juniors, never, ever, get influenced by some of their wretched seniors from camp to do with them things "in the name of bonding spirit" - play mahjong, chiong supper, go "study groups" i.e. chatting sessions, during their first year at least. First year must really chiong GPA swee swee

wah first yr already chiong gpa, so fierce... but i noticed that there are alot of ppl who managed to catch up to 2.1 in later uni yrs as they fared better, much better in their later modules...

lovelei

Reaction score
This this this. Best advice.

siandiao

Reaction score
wah first yr already chiong gpa, so fierce... but i noticed that there are alot of ppl who managed to catch up to 2.1 in later uni yrs as they fared better, much better in their later modules...
yes, but a good headstarts ensures a smoother academic journey in the later years, not to mention, more opportunities at the earlier stages of academic study, such as scholarships, exchanges, research programmes, internships

cleffa3000

Honorary Member
Reaction score

most impt dun be like moi

better get hitched by uni

nannnaung

Reaction score
Hi, i am freshmen enrolling in ntu this coming year. I just want to ask one question. If i want to change programme, will they consider based on my current gpa or poly result?

siandiao

Reaction score
Hi, i am freshmen enrolling in ntu this coming year. I just want to ask one question. If i want to change programme, will they consider based on my current gpa or poly result?
if you switch course, your poly result will be chiefly considered.

Caulibeam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

first year moi welly chiong :o

subsequent year nuas... hahaha..

draco_88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, but a good headstarts ensures a smoother academic journey in the later years, not to mention, more opportunities at the earlier stages of academic study, such as scholarships, exchanges, research programmes, internships

true... actually i regretted wasting some of those opportunities such not forgetting to apply for annual scholarship in my second yr as well as nv take up any of the ureca offers throughout my uni yrs...

siandiao

Reaction score
true... actually i regretted wasting some of those opportunities such not forgetting to apply for annual scholarship in my second yr as well as nv take up any of the ureca offers throughout my uni yrs...
oh for me:
1) Had exchange opportunities initially, but turned them away, coz founding CCA
2) Had UROP opportunities, but turned them away, coz founding CCA
3) Prof wanted to recommend me to a USA internship in Year 2 summer hols, but turned it away, coz founding CCA
4) For IA, had applied for an oil company (local) and Google (overseas), but due to 2008 economic crisis, then later on CAO screwed up rules (I've to dig my past post for full story), in the end lost both placements - not because of lack of merit
5) Applied for a scholarship to cover final year studies, shortlisted for final round, but didn't get it, because HR forgot to follow up my application for 4 months. She resolved this by hastily closing the loop through an "interview" with no director nor even any heads present.
6) For my CCA, almost could approach various gahmen agencies to propose a never-done-before nationwide community outreach programme, but due to unfortunate circumstances, admin warned me against doing it, and even doing it on my own capacity is impossible. Worse still, following that, I was scorned and my CCA achievements were treated as pure CSBs.

This is why I say CCA is supplementary. Do CCA, but don't go beyond what is comfortable for you. I regretted turning away exchanges, etc. So yeah.

Oh and for the CCA thing, it's not just based on my own experience. I've known CCA leaders, and seriously, other than those that are doing CCAs that actually have strong alignment with industry, for most, they fare no better than any ordinary graduate. While those tt didn't join CCAs, but did point 1 to 3, well they got really great job offers

Last edited:

mistersatki_

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh for me:
1) Had exchange opportunities initially, but turned them away, coz founding CCA
2) Had UROP opportunities, but turned them away, coz founding CCA
3) Prof wanted to recommend me to a USA internship in Year 2 summer hols, but turned it away, coz founding CCA
4) For IA, had applied for an oil company (local) and Google (overseas), but due to 2008 economic crisis, then later on CAO screwed up rules (I've to dig my past post for full story), in the end lost both placements - not because of lack of merit
5) Applied for a scholarship to cover final year studies, shortlisted for final round, but didn't get it, because HR forgot to follow up my application for 4 months. She resolved this by hastily closing the loop through an "interview" with no director nor even any heads present.
6) For my CCA, almost could approach various gahmen agencies to propose a never-done-before nationwide community outreach programme, but due to unfortunate circumstances, admin warned me against doing it, and even doing it on my own capacity is impossible. Worse still, following that, I was scorned and my CCA achievements were treated as pure CSBs.

This is why I say CCA is supplementary. Do CCA, but don't go beyond what is comfortable for you. I regretted turning away exchanges, etc. So yeah.

Oh and for the CCA thing, it's not just based on my own experience. I've known CCA leaders, and seriously, other than those that are doing CCAs that actually have strong alignment with industry, for most, they fare no better than any ordinary graduate. While those tt didn't join CCAs, but did point 1 to 3, well they got really great job offers

so ur uni life was a utter failure due to u sticking to CCA ?
but seriously why u turn down everything for ur cca sia ?

now what job u end up with ?
if ure doing good
then fug uni :s13:

siandiao

Reaction score
so ur uni life was a utter failure due to u sticking to CCA ?
but seriously why u turn down everything for ur cca sia ?

now what job u end up with ?
if ure doing good
then fug uni :s13:
lets jes say despite all these, my honours is surprisingly still good, probably becoz I chose not to go and listen to the confounding lecturers in EEE.

so no, uni's still important

as for job wise, lets jes say it's decent enuff. and that's chiefly becoz due to my honours. not spectacular job, but still, decent :)

applexn12

Reaction score
depends, but from my siao on fren, they wud wan to see ur prior programming experience, and any prizes won from prior competitions etc.

Programming experience ? Like .. Short term (8months) work experience , could it be considered ? As , I am an IT Consultant for now .. Doing development (programming/upgrading servers) supporting DBS Finance System . But .. what I am doing is't relevant to what I will be learning in NTU eh . Languages differs etc . As , I am using Enterprise Resource Planning system , from what I had heard NTU is not teaching it . So is like .. Way irrelevant ):

So , my work experience will not help me in any ways to apply for overseas' programmes etc ? )":

External professional cert (Oracle/IBM) will help in applying ? If no , then I shall stop collecting certs alr , expensive ehhh .

Last edited:

siandiao

Reaction score
Programming experience ? Like .. Short term (8months) work experience , could it be considered ? As , I am an IT Consultant for now .. Doing development (programming/upgrading servers) supporting DBS Finance System . But .. what I am doing is't relevant to what I will be learning in NTU eh . Languages differs etc . As , I am using Enterprise Resource Planning system , from what I had heard NTU is not teaching it . So is like .. Way irrelevant ):

So , my work experience will not help me in any ways to apply for overseas' programmes etc ? )":

External professional cert (Oracle/IBM) will help in applying ? If no , then I shall stop collecting certs alr , expensive ehhh .
it is actually helpful, I must say. NTU doesn't teach that doesn't mean it's not helpful

cleffa3000

Honorary Member
Reaction score

wow jin satki wor
i think u moar satki than anyone of us here

what u learnt
we in ntu cannot learn de :(

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
..hello new bird here:s13:

this coming aug will be joining the NTU family

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.