www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   NUS (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/nus-305/)
-   -   Choosing NUS Hall: Help! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/nus-305/choosing-nus-hall-help-1967606.html)

frinters 19-05-2008 12:43 PM

Choosing NUS Hall: Help!

I am probably going to enrol in NUS this year and need help choosing which Hall/Residence to stay in. Any NUS hostel residents here to share their experiences living in hostel?

A few questions I have:

1) Is it better to stay in Hall or Residence? Which one is easier to get in?

2) How are the rooms and facilities like? Are they about the same across all halls/residences, or do some have better facilities?

3) Double bedder or single bedder better?

4) Which halls are well-known for what? For e.g. which halls are more peaceful, which ones more noisy, etc?

5) Are the rumours about scary roommates (unhygienic, noisy, smoking) true? Or are most of the people quite civilised?

Sorry if there are threads dealing with this issue already, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific. If there are please link me to them, thanks.

The_Davis 19-05-2008 01:29 PM

1. what's the ultimate reason for you to stay in hall?
2. do you realise that the hostel fee will be increasing steadily over the next few semesters? (Do a bit of research on that first before you consider.. the raise is quite a lot)

frinters 19-05-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Davis (Post 30136473)
1. what's the ultimate reason for you to stay in hall?
2. do you realise that the hostel fee will be increasing steadily over the next few semesters? (Do a bit of research on that first before you consider.. the raise is quite a lot)

I have no choice... I'm a foreigner. =:p

Geforce3 19-05-2008 01:58 PM

for FTs, 1st year got protection, after that compete with the rest of the cohort via CCA points

The_Davis 19-05-2008 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinters (Post 30136768)

wah you die liao... hostel fees going to raise by a lot a lot :eek:

Cashcow 19-05-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinters (Post 30136768)

Den dun cum to our country. We dun nid you here anyway.

gentori 19-05-2008 02:45 PM

[COLOR="Black"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by frinters (Post 30135369)
I am probably going to enrol in NUS this year and need help choosing which Hall/Residence to stay in. Any NUS hostel residents here to share their experiences living in hostel?

A few questions I have:

1) Is it better to stay in Hall or Residence? Which one is easier to get in?

2) How are the rooms and facilities like? Are they about the same across all halls/residences, or do some have better facilities?

3) Double bedder or single bedder better?

4) Which halls are well-known for what? For e.g. which halls are more peaceful, which ones more noisy, etc?

5) Are the rumours about scary roommates (unhygienic, noisy, smoking) true? Or are most of the people quite civilised?

Sorry if there are threads dealing with this issue already, I did a search but couldn't find anything specific. If there are please link me to them, thanks.

1) There are more interactions in hall as compared to residence. So it depends on you. Residences should be easier to get in since there are more rooms (in PGP, RVR, Kuok Fundation)

2) If I'm not wrong, there are some rooms with air-con in PGP, and of course the rental is higher.

Sheares (my hall) and Kent Ridge are new buildings as compared to the rest.

3) I think you mean single or double room. Single- more privacy.

Some halls (SH and KR) only have single rooms.

4) Sports- EH, TH
Culture- KR, SH. KE7, RH

5) There are definitely bad room mates. It just depend on your luck.

The_Davis 19-05-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cashcow (Post 30137308)
Den dun cum to our country. We dun nid you here anyway.

prepare to be infra-ed~

direbmem 19-05-2008 06:35 PM

frinters is a law student wor...anyway..WELCOME TO NUS!!

dskw 19-05-2008 08:41 PM

1) Stay in Hall first cos its harder to get in after the first year (imo). Better or no is individual preference :)

2) This one you can go individual websites to check. But dont expect too much...

3) I prefer single. More privacy.

4) As gentori mentioned, EH and TH (my hall) are known for sports. I can't remember what the rest are known for. But i didnt come to TH with the thought of doing any sports, so you can apply to any hall actually. Dont restrict yourself.

5) If you get single room, you'll have less of such problems right? :D

kiatlaw 20-05-2008 02:55 AM

1) Generally if im not wrong, Kuok and Ridge View are reserved for Year 2s and above. the only available residence is PGP. But hall life would be more activity filled, depending on ur liking then.

2) KR and Sheares have all single rooms. TH, EH, RH, KE7 both have double room and single rooms. uh only pgp has aircon rooms, but it'll be more ex. for single rooms it will be 75 per week for this coming workyear, 90 the following workyear, and 100 the next following workyear.

3) Double is cheaper, but if you get a stinky room-mate, then its a risk you take then.

4) dskw has mentioned EH and EH are known for sports. Kent Ridge and Sheares for culture. RH for handball, ke7 is nearer to science and culture as well.

5) i guess the world is filled with different personalities. thats the beauty of it, isnt it?

Geforce3 20-05-2008 09:48 AM

whatever it is, pls chiong cca pts or be in the mc for some faculty clubs

frinters 20-05-2008 11:07 AM

Thanks for the tips! Also, I have another question: Can you stay in the Hall/Residence during vacation? And can you request to share a double room with a friend, or is it all strictly randomly assigned?

Geforce3 20-05-2008 11:21 AM

can stay during vacation as long as you show them the money :s13:

gentori 20-05-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frinters (Post 30156193)
Thanks for the tips! Also, I have another question: Can you stay in the Hall/Residence during vacation? And can you request to share a double room with a friend, or is it all strictly randomly assigned?

1) There is such a thing called vacation stay.

2) Room allocation for freshmen is done randomly. (unless you know ppl from the Hall Junior Common Room Committee)

Otherwise, you'll only be able to choose a room as a year 2 (and above) returning senior.